Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was looking through the fridge in our kitchen (in our suite), and it had been cleaned thoroughly the other day. but upon further inspection...i realized that some of my stuff was gone. it was this specially prepared food that my mom had made, and was supposed to last me throughout the semester (its like pickled kimchi stuff). its my absolute favorite, and my mom had taken her time to make it specially for me and pickled it well so it would last me through the end of the semester. well it was gone, and i started looking everywhere for it, and even dug through the trash...and then...i found the empty jar. my roomie who had cleaned the fridge threw away my stuff! it absolutely broke my heart, because its something my mom had carefully packaged for me, and i miss home a lot; that food was sort of like a connection to home (my comfort food, per se), as cheesy as that sounds. its not even that the stuff was expensive, and even if it were, thats not the reason why i was upset: the fact that someone (what made it even more upsetting it was one of my roommates) would thoughtlessly just toss something of mine that my mom had taken so long to prepare like that, i was absolutely livid. im someone who hates wasting food as well. i wrote him a really angry IM...and omg i feel like the biggest baby but i went to my room and i started crying. i dont know if its the stress of school and everything thats getting to me or what...but is it understandable as to why im upset?? arghhh i feel like shit right now...i want to go home :cry

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
oh no...... I'm so sorry :shake

It's definitely understandable as to why you're upset. It's very hard being away from home and it's even worse when people break your connections from home. Trust me, you're not the only one, I recently broke down and I'm in my third year!

What did your suitemate say after you IMd him? I hope he apologized and that it was a mistake.

*HUGS*

ETA: YUMM, I love Kimchi!! Is there anyway your mom can make you another jar and send it to you? If not, Thanksgiving is coming up soon so hopefully you get to go home. Sorry again, I totally know how you feel and I feel sad for you just reading your post =(

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aw thanks jen :)...he didnt respond cuz he's probably sleeping (its 3:30am here :eek:) but i hope he has a reasonable explanation. yeah, its nice to know at least im going home for thanksgiving so my mom can give me another jar..but ugh, it was so perfectly pickled since august :shake (i guess only kimchi lovers can understand that!)

but yeah...im such a big baby, im the one that had to be comforted by the security guard while i was bawling when my parents dropped me off at school. once in a while i still get my breakdowns too, and im in my 4th year. i figured at this point it means we just have great relationships with our families, which is a very great thing :]

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
awww i'm sorry that happened to you... hopefully your roommate has a good explanation or is at least remorseful! hope you feel better !

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Wow. Throwing out stuff that isn't yours is just crossing the line. I can understand if you had leftovers rotting in there since the beginning of the term, but that clearly wasn't the case. I'd be pretty furious if that had happened to me!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
:( I had someone throw out some chilli paste that my mom made for me with lemongrass, ginger, shallots, dried shrimp etc. and that person threw it away because they opened it and said it smelt bad :roll I guess just label your food next time and put a DO NOT TOUCH sticker on it or something... I hate how some people think they are entitled to go through your stuff just because you're living under the same roof! Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
:( I had someone throw out some chilli paste that my mom made for me with lemongrass, ginger, shallots, dried shrimp etc. and that person threw it away because they opened it and said it smelt bad :roll I guess just label your food next time and put a DO NOT TOUCH sticker on it or something... I hate how some people think they are entitled to go through your stuff just because you're living under the same roof! Hope you feel better soon.
WTF? Why is someone opening your jars?

On the other end of the spectrum, we had to go through our fridge recently because there was food from the people who lived here before I moved in. Gross!

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
:( I'm sorry - I would be livid as well!!!!!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
AIEE!!! Aww!! That sucks!

Maybe your roommate was trying to be nice and help with cleaning up the fridge?
Did your roomie know that your mom brought the kimchi?
Next time, inform him/her first. It's not entirely your roommate's fault. (yours too)

Homemade kimchi can't compare with the stuff at the store. :(
When you get your next batch, i'm sure it'll taste much better! :D

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

Next time, inform him/her first. It's not entirely your roommate's fault. (yours too)

That's not really fair IMO ... the roommate shouldn't have touched anything that wasn't her's without asking first. It's just common courtesy.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
That is quite rude! Unless there was mold growing on it & infesting the fridge your roommate shouldn't have tossed it.

I tend to throw stuff out (in our staff refrigerator) when it's way past the expiration date. Last month I saw yogurt with a 2006 expiry date on it and I was like wtf?

·
Registered
10,068 Posts

I disagree. You should not throw out anything without discussing it with the owner of the said contents. That's just plain old rude in my book.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
That totally sucks:(
I had 7 suitemates who would leave things in the fridge for months at a time way past their expiration date and I've also dealt with coworkers who would never throw away their old food. Not directed towards the OP, but I can understand at a certain point when there are tons of items with mold growing on them and a horrible stench coming from the fridge I can't help but get out the trashcan and start throwing stuff out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Aw hell, that does suck. I'm thinking that the emotional part (going to your room to cry) had more to do with the factthat you miss home and that was something lovingly prepared and packed from *mom*.

No matter how old we get -- when we're down, we want mom :) At least, I still do sometimes and I'm 31 :rofl

Give the roomie the benefit of the doubt -- although it wasn't cool, maybe he isn't familiar with kimchi -- and while it rocks, you must admit that it smells kind foul on some levels :ashamed Maybe he was completely clueless and thought it was something that had gone bad and believed he was helping.

Still, I know it hurt your feelings and I'm sorry for that... hopefully the roomie will let you know it was an honest mistake and apologize.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
that is NOT nice at all! you would think they would've had that courtesy to ASK you first before tossing out something if they didn't know what it was. and if they KNEW it didn't belong to them.

i'm sorry! i <3 kimchi.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks everyone..

my roomie called this morning and either told me the food was old, or the jar was broken...but its weird because i found the jar and it was very much intact and the food was not at all moldy :confused: oh well...ive called down a lot anyways, i think it was the stress getting to me. just to clarify, it was not moldy; it was kimchi! its supposed to last close to forever :p and yes, i totally understand if food is yucky or moldy...then duh of course it can be thrown out, i wouldnt throw a fit about that. and to the person who said "i should have notified my roommate"...its not like it was a scheduled cleanup or something :roll i just ASSUMED noone would touch my stuff.

and visionary - it was chive kimchi :) thats my favorite kind.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
^ BTW, my favourite is radish kimchi (ggakdugi?). Like AMG. :drool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts