Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Yanna (the greyhound) broke her tail this morning at 2a.m. while I was letting the dogs out before bed. She got caught up in Grace's retractable leash and either sat on her tail or the leash caught it. It broke, as in bone VERY visibly poking out of the skin. And there was blood. :cry
We went to the emergency vet, they bandaged it, and doped her up on antibiotics and pain meds. She was high as a kite when I took her home. She went to the regular vet today to have the broken part removed. Luckily it wasn't very much of her tail. She has to stay overnight so they can make sure she doesn't bleed all over the place or chew her tail off. :cry

I've had almost no sleep, got nothing I needed to do accomplished today, and one of my furbabies is not at home. Have I mentioned that I HATE TODAY???????????

P.S.- I think I have the most unfortunate dogs in the history of the world. Either that or they are really clumsy and stupid. But I love them anyway. :love

· Registered
937 Posts
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear that. :( I don't know the right words to make you feel better but I hope your little furry loved one feels better soon. There's nothing worse than having one of your pets be injured or in distress because there's no way to explain to them what's going on when you try to help them. I know because I just recently lost one of my three babies to cancer and it was a gut-wrenching experience.

I hope Yanna feels better soon. :)

~L.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She actually did very well. She's normally such a drama queen (greyhounds seem predisposed to drama, IME. LOL). I think it's because greyhounds' tails are mostly just bone covered in skin/fur. They're certainly not muscled like labs, etc. She didn't seem really bothered that much by it. I am also quite proud of myself for not freaking out. Normally I do when one of the furbabies is injured. And this was gross. Like me grabbing her tail to see what was wrong and feeling (AND SEEING) lots of bone. Bleh.

She's been a trooper but I hate not having her at home. And her 10th birthday is this week. What a way to celebrate. :(

· Registered
9,398 Posts
:( poor Yanna

I hope she leaves the tail alone so it can heal.

I bet it was a sight to see, that is what usually makes it the worst

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:( poor Yanna

I hope she leaves the tail alone so it can heal.

I bet it was a sight to see, that is what usually makes it the worst
My vet called me this afternoon to let me know how she was doing and said this was part of the reason he wanted her to stay overnight. He said some dogs chew, especially if they are in pain. Others are completely oblivious and will continue to wag their tails in the cages despite the fact that they are bloody and gross. I am completely sure the latter will be Yanna. I hope they bandage her up so I don't have blood all over the walls at home. She swings that tail around like a whip!

· Registered
23,935 Posts
Awwww! Poor Yanna! I had NO idea that dogs could break their tails! Its really a good thing that I don't have a dog. I hope she gets to feeling better soon!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.