Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing:

Vogue?s New Archive Site Costs $1,575 for a Yearly Subscription -- The Cut

Vogue's much-hyped archive website goes live today, and as promised, it contains every single page from every issue dating back to the magazine's American debut in 1892. According to Vogue's press release, the site is searchable by decade, brand, designer, and photographer; you can also sort results by articles, images, covers, or ads. It's a wildly impressive undertaking to organize such a massive amount of information, and bravo to Vogue for providing a great tool for researching the historical context of moments in fashion and society.

However, accessing the archive is not quite so simple: For now, it's only available via subscription through WGSN, a trend forecasting company that partnered with Vogue to build the site, and an individual subscription costs a whopping $1,575 per year. If you're part of a company that wants access for research or branding purposes, then you can write WGSN an e-mail and they'll supposedly organize a package deal. Or, if you're already a subscriber to WGSN's trend forecasting services, then you get a special VIP membership. Finally, Vogue subscribers will get "select" access to the site starting in 2012. (It'll be interesting to see what Condé thinks its readers deserve.)

So, why is it so expensive to subscribe? Even to the target Vogue consumer, it's basically unaffordable. There's a mix of reasons for this, probably: first off, the site has no advertisers, which means that subscribers shoulder the full cost of its maintenance. This is odd, though, because it's a completely different financial model than the one used by almost every publication today, particularly web-based ones. Another explanation is that Vogue simply wants to keep its archive exclusive. However, that means that they're missing a huge opportunity to promote global awareness of their brand and its venerated history. Finally, perhaps Vogue is charging so much simply because they can. It's almost impossible to get your hands on some of these issues, and people spend years and tons of money amassing just a tiny fraction of the full archive.

Although there are obviously huge differences between Vogue Archive and Valentino's new virtual museum (for one thing, Vogue's has infinitely more content) it's worth noting that access to Valentino's site is entirely free. For a company like Valentino to open itself up to the masses as a source of inspiration and pleasure represents a far more modern strategy, one that luxury brands like Vogue — however exclusive they hope to portray themselves to be — could should consider when it comes to using the Internet in their favor. Anyway, check out the promotional video of Vogue's new site, since it might be the closest you ever get to its content.
Expensive but if you are into this kind of thing well worth it. Check out the video. The site look quite extensive as you would imagine.

·
Premium Member
26,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ probably not many. For designers and people in that industry though the cost of a subscription is minimal compared to the value. Get some inspiration and a few good ideas for products or create a trend ... and you can make your money back in no time.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
OMG! This is awesome! If I really needed it I'd be able to save up for that subscription (and I am a very regular cusomer :jumping). I don't think it's too much money for what you can get. It's a right price and well worth it!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
If you are affiliated with a research institution (university, or maybe even public library) you should be able to access the archive. :) I can use it through my old museum employee access.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yeah so can I. We also had all of the old Vogues and Harpers Bazaar's in our library bounded in books back form the 1800s. It was pretty cool!:)
Oh I meant a digital archive, but that's awesome you had hard copies. I much prefer looking at the real thing. :) I know the LA Public Library hard copies often had pages torn out, though.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
That's lame! I would be so mad. Ours was at my school so we would get in biiiiig trouble if anyone ever did that. We had to option to choose digital or print. I like print better though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts