Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All :) :love

Going to the ball on Saturday. Hubs will be in his dress uniform. Bought this dress today.

Please don't be too harsh, I know I'm not tiny but I thought this dress looked the best of all that I tried on here :ashamed

1. Too much cleavage? If yes, how can I fix it?

2. Nylons or not? I know the color on the ones I have is totally off, I have jet black ones, I just didn't want to get a run in them before Saturday...

3. Closed shoes with rhinestones? Or my open toed Charles David shoes with no nylons?

4. Hair up? Hair down?

5. Necklace or not? If not long earrings? If with a necklace, earrings too?

Sorry for all the questions, I really wanted to make my dress but i was holding off to get my machine and it still hasn't come and the 2 dresses I tried to make just don't look right :cry

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Well you know me Alex. I dress in boots and jeans so I highly doubt I can help you in the dress department:rofl

Normally when I see pics from the AF ball, most women wear a longer gown. I like your dress though but I would be a little reluctant to show the cleavage area. I would like to see the dresses that you made. I bet they are pretty just like your daughters dresses:love

ETA: Let me see if I can find some pics from a recent ball.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dandrea, one is like 5 sizes too big for me. I was trying to make a dress that criss-crossed around the bust in a flower silk material and the bottom was black satin but woooh, toooooo big.
The other, is too tight in the bust! :twitch For some reason, i can make the girls dresses much easier than anything for myself :shake

Do you think it is inappropriate to show up with a shorter dress? I thought it was fancy enough and some people i know are going with shorter dresses.

My biggest thing is how to cover up too much cleavage. Unlike stores at home, stores here don't accept returns, so I'm stuck with this dress :bigeyes:ashamed

·
Registered
807 Posts
Have you talked to anyone going to this ball and what they were wearing? I'm a tad older than you, the shortest with that kind of event is usually T-length, but hey, times can change. (I could call my BIL if need be!!!!)

The interesting thing about T-Length or your standard floor length gown, is that when your dress is longer, the cleavage amount then is not as noticeable. I shouldn't say not noticeable, it just looks classier/better, I really cannot find the word I'm looking for. If you go short both ways...I don't know....you look beautiful without question either way. Very sexy.

Edit to add: a shawl....if you choose to go short both ways, meaning cleavage, add a shawl. After the party gets going, withdrawl the shawl!!!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I don't think its inappropriate but I just assumed that most people wore formal gowns to the ball, maybe its different across branches. Do you think you can probably find a short jacket to cover up the cleavage area? I'm probably the worst person on the planet for you to be taking fashion advice from. There was another member who went to a ball not that long ago and I know she was contemplating wearing a knee length dress to the ball too.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
omg honestly, it's a really, really pretty dress and you look soooo amazing in them! :love:love:love:love the thing is, when i hear the word "ball" this dress isn't exactly the first thing that came to mind. i don't know how formal the ball is going to be but given that your hubby is going to be in his uniform, the dress might be not formal enough in comparison

my two cents :)

but if you are already set on wearing them... i vote for hair up, no nylons, the 2nd heels, with necklace AND earrings :D

·
Registered
8,050 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
the dress looks pretty on you, but i dont think it's formal enough for a ball.
i would go with something longer, if i was you.
JMHO.

if you cannot find anything else,
i think a little too much cleavage, maybe wear some kind of wrap on top?
no nylons, hair up! for jewelry i would have to see pictures of what you were thinking.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
You already said that this IS the dress no matter what right? So, let's dress it up!

I think you look beautiful.:love

Open toe sandal heels.
No nylons.
Hair down or up....it'll look good either way.
And, you need a bracelet on one wrist.

I think it would look better with some killer earrings & no necklace but I'd have to see the jewelry first.

Hmmmm....I'm voting for earrings & bracelet....necklace might be an overkill of jewelry.

ETA: I wish I was going to a ball. You might not know this but I love dressing up! lol

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I really like the dress but I agree long gown is more formal.I like the second pair of shoes,no nylons, Hair up, necklace and earrings.:)

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think the dress is pretty, not incredibly formal but people may not be super formal anyways. I have a shirt with the same cleavage criss cross in the front. I just pulled it closer together where they meet at the bottom and did one hand stitch to make it stay together at a higher point and cover more of the low cleavage point. I think I just explained that horribly, lol. You just pull the two sides together and stitch them higher up is all.

I also like the second pair of shoes, hair up and necklace with earrings. If you feel that dress is not formal enough because it shows too much skin you could get one of those sheer like shawls in black to wear around your shoulders. Oh ya and I also say no nylons.

All that matters is you are confident and happy and you husband is as well. Have an awesome time!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions! :love

I felt like the dress was formal enough because it has the sequence and the velvet. As for the length, at the Navy Ball's I have been to, I have seen anything from super short to very long and even some dresses that almost look like sundresses :twitch

I wanted to go with a long dress, but all the ones that I tried on looked horrible. They would have a strange bulge in the back near the butt area, and I'd size up but it was still there :( But then I tried this one on and it fit in all the right places.

I will do the stitch thing higher up. That is a great suggestions. I completely understand what you are saying! :) And that is much less noticeable to do that what I was thinking.

I will put a shawl on, I have a sheer black one to go with it.

I will also wear the 2nd pair of shoes with no nylons.

At the exhange I found some black jewelry. Black stones on a black metal. I thought that would be preferable over the normal rhinestones since I have the black sequence on top. I saw some Guess bracelets, necklaces and earrings all with black rhinestones.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Alex you look beautiful! I LOVE that dress! I think it is probably fancy enough....more like a cocktail dress, which should be okay, right? I think the stich in the center of the bust to close up the cleavage a bit will work. I also like the 2nd shoes and a shawl.
You're going to have a great time and B is going to :love:eyebug you in that dress.:D

Pics of the two of you, please.:whistle:smoke

·
Registered
23,935 Posts
I think it is pretty and I agree with Erica on the shoes and jewelry.

FYI, those little shiny things are SEQUINS, not sequence!!:magwink:jumping

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Alex, I think you look beautiful! I agree about maybe trying to stitch the chest a bit further up, and I think the shawl you're talking about with the sandals and jewellery will be perfect! It will look great - you and hubs will look awesome together! Pics please!

PS I'm totally jealous of your calf muscles in those pics, fyi. :D

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it is pretty and I agree with Erica on the shoes and jewelry.

FYI, those little shiny things are SEQUINS, not sequence!!:magwink:jumping
:ashamed:eek: sometimes my brain totally craps out LOL :ashamed:eek:

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. No worries, I'll post pics of us together :) Hubs did really like it, but he was worried because he thought I wasn't confident about it and I told him it was because of the length. He thought the length was fine, people at these functions wear all sorts of things. :)

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
i am the odd man out (not really unusual for me).... but i think that nylons would dress it up a bit. the dress is beautiful, but the bottom lace makes me think negligee. then again, it could just be that i am not much of a lacey girly girl.

i do love the idea of a wrap/shawl to cover the cleavage and add a sophisticated touch.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts