Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
21,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I hate Windows Update.

I'm writing a huge paper tonight and I have a bunch of IE windows open for grad school online apps, which I plan to keep open until they're done (at least a week). Meanwhile, Windoze(bloze) update has decided that OMGWTFBBQUNEEDTORESTARTNOW!!!!!!!!! So every 5 minutes there's this window popping up asking me if I want to restart now or later, and if I don't click it'll restart in 5 minutes. How the f*** do I turn this off? I already changed the option on Windows Updates to only download updates and let me install them when I wish, but this stupid window is still threatening to shut down my computer when I'm away for 5 minutes (or worse, if it pops up in the middle of me typing, and it accidentally hits the Restart Now button)

I don't care if this update will keep my computer from imploding, I will keep my paper and grad apps up and online, damnit! It was bad enough that I had to restart last night after trying to toggle 3 PDF files opened in MSIE and the computer not knowing what to do with itself.

:madbeating:madbeating:madbeating:madbeating:madbeating

· Registered
8,706 Posts
Ugh yea I hate that damn thing. I was in the middle of writing a paper, minimized the notice (I don't click restart later until the 5 minutes are almost up), left briefly to go pee, came back, BAM! :shake

· Registered
5,192 Posts
Watch out ... sometimes (maybe only after certain updates?) it pops up but the window has a TIMER. When the timer runs out, it just automatically reboots. Get any important information down that you need to, just in case ............... :twitch

· Premium Member
26,101 Posts
Watch out ... sometimes (maybe only after certain updates?) it pops up but the window has a TIMER. When the timer runs out, it just automatically reboots. Get any important information down that you need to, just in case ............... :twitch
The method I posted should stop this. Just check to make sure automatic updates is stopped and you will be fine.

· Registered
2,924 Posts
How do I keep it from happening? I use a Mac. :D

In all seriousness though, good luck with those grad. school apps. Been there, done that, made it through barely (and that was just with two schools.) It was totally worth it though!

· Registered
8,927 Posts
I usually just selecy restart later and that does the trick. When my computer seems to be going slower than usual I clicl CTRL ALT + DEL and sure enough that crap is running. I just end task. It always comes back though. It's such a pain in the a-hole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.