Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here skilled at checking the authenticity of Tiffany & Co?

I checked out the forums and saw some that mentioned "other accessories" but didn't see anything for this.

:love

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Uh.. well.. I OWN a Tiff & Co. ring.. so I could compare it to mine..

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
99% of Tiffany jewelry on ebay is fake. I wouldnt even bother if its off of ebay.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 2 of them, but didn't buy them on EBay -- I bought them both for what I thought was a good deal (on consignment) when we were in Florida last time. I have some Tiffany Jewelry but no rings and we don't have a retail store around here and I'm not sure who to take them to.

I thought about selling them on EBay too, my husband has an EBay store but he sells pet supplies and that doesn't exactly work :rofl

I don't know what to do with them and neither fits me anyway. One is the Mesh Somerset ring and one is silver with a black overlay.

If I got ripped -- I don't know that I can return them, but if they're authentic I'd like to sell them somewhere.

Do any of you have either of them to compare? I looked at the website and they LOOK good -- I don't know what I'd be looking for to find out if they were inauthentic though.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
All mine has on the inside is "Tiffany & Co. 925" and "Paloma Picasso" (the ring's designer).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it acceptable for me to post pictures in here -- I have taken a few but just need to resize them.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The style is not one that you listed. I don't remember what it's called.. and it's kind of hard to describe, lol.

Imagine.. a solid licorice ring. Ok, now cut out like 1/4 centimeter. And then shape the ends into hearts. That's what my ring looks like.

I think you can post pics in here.. though maybe this should be moved to the Other Brands section.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok -- I know exactly which one you're talking about. I like that one -- it isn't one of the ones I have though. What I will do is post a few pictures here, but if someone has a suggestion as to where to put them I can remove them.

I just need to load them up and make them smaller...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The inside of both are stamped with Tiffany & Co 925, I just wasn't able to zoom in close enough to capture it in the picture. I could try again... but here is what I have:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ooh that's hard..

From what I can make out on the second one, the writing inscribed on the inside looks nothing like mine.. Mine is all on one line and the font is a bit different I THINK. But it may just be because mine is much, much smaller.

If you could get pics of the insides, I think that would help. I'm no Tiff & Co. expert or anything, but I'm sure pics of the inside could help others weigh in, also.

Maybe you could take it to Tiffany's the store? I've never done that before because honestly I think it's a little embarrassing.. and most places won't even give you an answer. But you could give it a shot if you're unable to get an answer here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to get some good pictures of the inside -- it's hard because they're so little. Its a good idea to take them to a retail store, but I don't have one near me. It isn't a pressing matter, I can always take them with me next time we go somewhere though.

Buuuuttt, maybe someone here knows too :) I'll try to get some better pictures of the inside stamps tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
It's hard to tell- the mesh ring is probably one of the most faked Tiffany rings out there. You need to get a better picture of the inside marking. Also, can you take a picture from the top looking straight down on the ring?

As for the titanium ring, can you take a better picture of the "NY" and the "1837"? I hate to say it but I'm leaning towards fake on that one. T&Co. always "finishes" their letters (i.e. the little ends that point up/down) and don't usually end things in a dead stop (like the Arial font on your computer for instance). The T&C look "finished" but from this angle, the "NY" looks like it is not. I don't think I've never seen a T&Co piece with two different fonts on the same piece.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
You can also sort of see what I'm talking about from this screenshot... compare the font on the "NY" here to the one on your ring. Looks different to me. In fact, th more I scroll up and down comparing the two I can see a clear difference in the font and the spacing of the letters. Definite fake.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow. Crap. Yes, I do see the difference you're talking about and I greatly appreciate your help!! I'll try and get a more clear, head on closeup picture and will post it -- and also of the inside and looking down atthe mesh ring.

I bought them both on consignment -- I don't know if the person who had them in there was the same for each ring or if they were both from the same person -- but I paid $70 for the mesh ring and $125 for the black one.

:bigeyes :ashamed :mad:

I'm off to try and take a few more pictures -- and I really appreciate your help!!

·
Registered
23,935 Posts
I have that mesh ring and have to say, its super hard to get a good pic, especially of the inside.

Based on the pictures that Numero posted, I would lean towards fake on that black one. The "NY" on the first one is a "sans serif" font (no little hooks) and the one Numero posted is a "serif" font. For example, This is a SERIF FONT and this is a SANS SERIF FONT.

Where in Florida do you find such great deals on jewelry? I am in Florida quite often and just curious if its the same area.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
We were in South Florida -- near Ft. Lauderdale and the city is called Plantation -- it's a consignment shop and I hadn't been there before but was shopping with a girlfriend. Truthfully, the rings both looked great to me, I couldn't tell by looking at them or holding them that anything might be wrong. :(

They both feel sunstantial, well made, both are stamped and it really didn't occur to me that they were anything but authentic. There were a lot of things in there that were expensive -- jewelry, dresses, etc. Looked like she only carried high end stuff and for the area (there are a lot of wealthy residents nearby) it didn't seem out of the ordinary.

Here are a few more pictures I just took and you're right -- Its almost impossible to get an inside picture of the mesh ring. Looking at it in person it looks better than the pictures I was able to take -- zooming in that far made it almost blurry -- but maybe you can still see the stamp. The black one -- I'm also leaning toward fake now that the NY was pointed out to me -- I woudn't ever have caught that detail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts