Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this at one of the blogs I check every now and then ... pretty awesome!

“Looks tasty, doesn’t it”, says one of the submitters of this map made out of Spam. Well, that’s a matter of opinion (but I think he was being ironic, anyway).

The map is the work of Manila-born US artist Michael Arcega, who on his website displays a series of maps made from Spam and explains: “Spam was used as ration by the US Armed Forces during WWII. It ultimately spread through many Pacific Island nations as a standard source of meat. Spam’s diasporic nature is symbolic of America’s ongoing influence on many nations.”

Arcega loves to play with words, so it’s no coincidence that s-p-a-m is m-a-p-s spelled in reverse.
Source: 195 - Spam Maps « strange maps

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I love spam...but I have to say the spam in that map looks all browned and...slightly mouldy.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ It's linked Jesse, it's a strange maps blog ... :jumping I got the Stephen King's Maine map from the same blog, they have some pretty interesting stuff there!

And something tells me that this Spam map was NOT for consumption, guys ... :rofl

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That reminds me of the "meat dress" that they had on display at the National Gallery of Canada back in the early 90's. Blech.:twitch

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would have never guessed that was spam from the picture? its not as "pink" as normal.. I grew up in hawaii and people eat spam there like its a steak...i'm not a big fan.. the map is cool though..wonder how long it took to construct?!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
MMMM SPAM...there's even a Spam festival every year in Austin, TX. Spam is best pan-fried with rice...oh and Spam Musubi too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts