Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been filling out a lot of college applications recently, and looking at the lists of majors is bewildering! I know I want to be a lawyer but my passion is medical, I always thought med. malpractice might be a good choice? It just seems so limiting, picking one major, and having the same job my entire life. I want something fun and more than anything something that I love!

What does everyone here do? Id love to hear your career choice/path and what you did to get there etc.
:excited

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ugh... I know very few people who are working in the actual field of their degree.

Mine is in Forensic Anthropology. After college I worked for two big financial corps as a financial advisor :roll Now -- I don't really do much for work other than take care of the finances for my husband's company...

His degree is in Philosophy with a minor in Ethics... he's a software developer and started a PodCasting company about a year ago :rofl

As far as attorneys and doctors though... obviously, that's a specified field, though I have never once known a happy attorney :shake

I'm not saying the don't exist -- but it's certainly not 9-5 and working for a big company can be a bitch... private practice is so much work too. Good money, but I value my time. My advice? Find something that allows for both :rofl

Have you taken any kinds of testing that kind of gauges what your personality meshes with? and... is "meshes" a word? :confused:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I always wondered what people did with those degrees. Now I know.
Can't do much with mine other than peel rotted and partially decayed skin off of human skeletal remains and figure out wtf happened and who it is.

It's fascinating, but it isn't something I wanted to pursue. A degree is great -- enjoying your life is just as important though.

·
Registered
23,935 Posts
I am a lawyer and quite happy, I might add.:magwink

Medical Malpractice is a very specialized field of law. You have to have a HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY for overhead to pursue those cases. A simple med mal case can cause a BIG law firm over $250K. Most attorney's I know won't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Your client needs to have at least $1 million in damages just to get in the door of most firms. Its also helpful to have a medical background. Most people that do med mal have nursing or medical degrees as well.

If you enjoy the company of elderly people, Elder Law is a growing field that is very lucrative. You may also encounter some med mal in elder law as well.

If you want to make a lot of money as a lawyer, get your LLM in Tax after law school. Tax Attorney's make a shit load of money and have assistants who do all the work. I LOVED tax law, but didn't want 18 more months of school. I do primarily criminal defense and dependency in the Juvenile sector. It affords me a generous amount of money per hour with very few hours worked. I work about 8 days a month. It allows me to be a full time mom to my kids and actually enjoy my life.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a lawyer and quite happy, I might add.:magwink

Medical Malpractice is a very specialized field of law. You have to have a HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY for overhead to pursue those cases. A simple med mal case can cause a BIG law firm over $250K. Most attorney's I know won't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Your client needs to have at least $1 million in damages just to get in the door of most firms. Its also helpful to have a medical background. Most people that do med mal have nursing or medical degrees as well.

If you enjoy the company of elderly people, Elder Law is a growing field that is very lucrative. You may also encounter some med mal in elder law as well.

If you want to make a lot of money as a lawyer, get your LLM in Tax after law school. Tax Attorney's make a shit load of money and have assistants who do all the work. I LOVED tax law, but didn't want 18 more months of school. I do primarily criminal defense and dependency in the Juvenile sector. It affords me a generous amount of money per hour with very few hours worked. I work about 8 days a month. It allows me to be a full time mom to my kids and actually enjoy my life.
Wow thats really cool! Thanks for the advice about getting an LLM. I would love to be a criminal defense attny, I was always told it was too much risk and not enough $$, maybe they just weren't good lawyers? I would HATE elder law :smack:smack ugg, just does NOT sound fun.

·
Registered
23,935 Posts
Wow thats really cool! Thanks for the advice about getting an LLM. I would love to be a criminal defense attny, I was always told it was too much risk and not enough $$, maybe they just weren't good lawyers? I would HATE elder law :smack:smack ugg, just does NOT sound fun.
Elder law would make me really sad. I have a soft spot for old folks!!

Criminal lawyers can make BIG bucks. You just have to find the right clients!! If you enjoy math, then you would probably love tax law. I was the only person in my class that actually enjoyed Income Tax I and II!!

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Pick a major that INTERESTS you because you can do almost anything with almost any major if you want to. Career specificity usually happens in grad/professional school.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Elder law would make me really sad. I have a soft spot for old folks!!

Criminal lawyers can make BIG bucks. You just have to find the right clients!! If you enjoy math, then you would probably love tax law. I was the only person in my class that actually enjoyed Income Tax I and II!!
I would have a lot of fun with criminal law, something to really think about.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If I were you I would choose fry cook over dish washer.
OMG. :rofl

I'm 19. I'm majoring in Econ. I don't have ANY IDEA wtf I'm going to do with my life. :)

Edit: Whoa that seemed totally OT. I wanted to say that because .. well.. geez you're mapping out your life already? You've got a good two years before you even have to declare a major (I think)!

·
Registered
23,935 Posts
OMG. :rofl

I'm 19. I'm majoring in Econ. I don't have ANY IDEA wtf I'm going to do with my life. :)

Edit: Whoa that seemed totally OT. I wanted to say that because .. well.. geez you're mapping out your life already? You've got a good two years before you even have to declare a major (I think)!
To be 19 again. *sigh* When you were a newborn, I was partying like a crazy fool in college. :eek:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
i'm an advertising major and i love it!! it took me two years into school to figure that out.. (university of texas need i say more?) i am about to graduate in december and i have a couple of jobs lined up.. i say do your research.. it is NEVER too early to start thinking about where you want to go with your career.. go to career services and all job fairs to get a feel of what is out there!

-sorry if that wasn't helpful lol.

·
Registered
23,935 Posts
University of Alabama! When I was there, we were always in the Top 3 party schools. Currently, the school has the most Academic All Americans in the nation--meaning sports scholars.:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
University of Alabama! When I was there, we were always in the Top 3 party schools. Currently, the school has the most Academic All Americans in the nation--meaning sports scholars.:thumbsup
AW LUCKY!!

You had good parties AND smart jocks? :(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts