Authentic Jeans Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says it's optional, but she's only 8 months old. She's getting fixed. Also do you think it's mean to put a chip in her as a tracking devise if someone steals her or she gets lost. I'm so scared something might happen to her. I'm really freaked out about it. I'd absolutely die if I lost her:(

She's sleeping on my bed right now and her back legs are twitching, I think she's having a puppy dream.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
what kind of bloodwork? is it to test for heartworms / something that may complicate the surgery?

i have my dog microchipped and thankfully i have never had to use it.

jenn should be stopping by soon and will be able to better answer your question than me. :)

oh and how i love that sleep twitching! my dog does that too and sometimes even quietly barks in her sleep -- just too cute!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think it is smart to have bloodwork if her vet recommends it. Oftentime they are looking for problems that either A) will cause complications with the surgery or B) will be cheaper to fix if they do it while she is already having surgery. As for the microchip, YES, they are a must have! I live in a part of FL where a massive tornado hit last year, and because of microchips many animals that would have died in a shelter ended up being reunited with their family. Plus if anyone tries to steal your dog (which is sad, but it does happen), you can prove without a doubt that it is yours. :)

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I don't think it is necessary to get blood work done prior to your dog's alteration unless your dog is exhibiting any health problems, which in that case you would not have the surgery anyhow.

Microchipping is a good idea and especially kind to do while the dog is anesthetized.

You should still make sure that you always have a tag with your dogs name, address and phone number on his or her collar as well.

All the best.

ETA: Unless microchip companies have advanced in the last few years, they do not have tracking abilities, only a vet or shelter would be able to scan the dog for a chip to retain your contact information.

·
Banned
21,191 Posts
yes and yes...honestly though she should be fine with her spay surgery. Millions and millions of dogs have had it no problem. Just wondering though, why hasn't she been spayed earlier? We had our puppy spayed when she was about 6 months old...apparently when you do it before the first heat it drastically lowers their risk of certain cancers. And she was trying to run around and play pretty much the day after surgery! With our first dog we didn't get her until she was a bit older so we had no choice but to spay her late.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
apparently when you do it before the first heat it drastically lowers their risk of certain cancers.
We got our dog and she had already been spayed. Actually they spayed her sometime between 6 and 7 weeks. I am all for early spaying, but not too early like my dog. Her body had not matured enough, they screwed up, and now she leaks and is on permanent medication for life. Sometimes I think waiting might be beneficial. Then again I am no dog expert. Just an expert on my dog. Huge difference.

And yes to the microchip. I personally don't think it is cruel to do. My dog didn't even flinch upon insertion, and the needle isn't the smallest they have out there. Although you can't track with it yet, god forbid she runs, and Pointers run like crazy, and she is picked up, her collar tells people she's chipped and to scan her.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I actually just had bloodwork done for my 6 month old dachshund puppy this morning. My vet always does bloodwork before surgery. I had my pug's teeth cleaned about 6 months ago and he did the same thing. I would much rather pay the money and be sure that my dog is stable enough for surgery than try to save money and risk something happening. My dogs are too important to me!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have yorkies, which can be prone to certain liver conditions. I always have bloodwork done before surgery because I know it can rule out liver problems and others that might cause complications during surgery. If its within your ability to pay, I would definitely have it done.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Bloodwork is not really necessary, but can't hurt. Microchipping is a must.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Yes, it is a good idea to have bloodwork done before surgery to avoid complications.

Definitely microchip, too! Aside from vets and shelters, usually police will have a scanner as well. This way if your dog gets lost, they can notify you that they have found her.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Some of the bloodwork is done so the vet can see if anesthesia will kill the animal, so I would get that done. It's maybe 40 bucks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Bloodwork is definitely something you want to do as your dog ages. It is usually mandatory once a dog is 6 years +. Since she's a young pup, I think you could forgo the routine blood work at this point. However, they can also send it out for heartworm testing which is a MUST. Microchipping is something that you need. It is small, a little bigger than a grain of rice. Make sure that your vet uses the type that is read by most universal scanners.

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My puppy is almost 8 months actually and she's never had her first heat (thank goodness! She's such a whinner about everything lol). I had an appointment to get her fixed at 6 weeks but the Vet cancelled for some reason.
Anyway! She's getting the bloodwork and the chip put in! She'll be home tonight. So she'll get some TLC. She hates the vet anyway since he gave her a shot. He tried giving her a treat after her shot and she wanted nothing to do with him. She pouted to me lol

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
To help her with the stress and anxiety it would be a good idea to give her some Bach rescue remedy.

·
Banned
21,191 Posts
We got our dog and she had already been spayed. Actually they spayed her sometime between 6 and 7 weeks. I am all for early spaying, but not too early like my dog.
Wow, 7 weeks is ridiculous...yeah, i definitely didn't mean THAT early, but more like 6 months (which was what the vet recommended)...closer to when they might actually go into heat. When we had Snickers spayed they didn't even think she was old enough, just because she's so tiny (still only 15lbs as a beagle and she's almost 2!)...what breed is yours?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts