Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I took a pair of R &R's to my tailor to get hemmed. I'm fairly petite, and usually get my inseam tailored to 29 or 29.5" (depending on if I want to wear my jeans with heels, etc. Being that R&R's come standard 36", I needed to take off about 7". I prefer getting an original hem because it just looks nicer imo, but my tailor said she can't hem them with an original hem because she would have to remove a lot of the fabric and something or other. She told me over the phone after I did the drop off (she called the next day) so I'm unsure as to what she's really talking about. Does anyone know, or has anyone had a similar problem? :confused: Any suggestions? BTW, I'm about 5'2. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Um. I think I do.

The width of the jeans at the very bottom is bigger than the width of the jeans 7" up. If you want to get originals, she would have to cut off some of the width of the original hems in order to make it fit.

Get it?

What jeans are they? Some look just fine without originals.

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
i ALWAYS hem w/ original hem and i'm 5'3 i almost hem off just as much as you and my tailor doesn't have a problem, imo find another tailor

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay on average for your alterations? Do you go to a Nordstroms, Niemans, or Saks to get it done? I know that if your'e willing to pay (a bit) more, you ar unlikely to run into these kinds of problems.

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
all those stores way overcharge for original hems, my tailor charges $10 for orginal hem, $5 for non

·
Registered
80 Posts
what exactly is orginal hem? dont they just cut...fold up a little and sew?

i just told my tailor to do that for friends jeans. am i doing it wrong. oh no..............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts