Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has just bought me some Shiseido powder foundation, and I have never used foundation before. I would like to ask if it is better to use a sponge or a brush. I have oily skin, and I have been told that I need to wash my sponge/brush daily; what is the best way to clean my sponge/brush? If it is recommended that I use a sponge, can I just go out to a convenience store and buy disposable sponges? Do those work well?

Sorry for the many questions. Help would be appreciated! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
I would get some type of foundation brush b/c sponges can keep bacteria in them longer. A good way to clean your brush daily is to put water and rubbing alcohol into a small spray bottle and spray really good then wipe with a clean towel. Then once a week you can clean them with a mild anti-biotic soap, rinse and dry with a clean towel. A nice kabuki brush would work for what you are using.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes definately a brush I wash mine with shampoo and put the brush back into shape before it dries goodluck.

·
Denim Goddess
14,606 Posts
yes a kabuki or buffer brush. MAC 182, stila 21 are nice choices :) cheaper alternatives can be found at places like coastal scents, but I no longer support that company anymore due to questional practices going on :shake

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
yes a kabuki or buffer brush. MAC 182, stila 21 are nice choices :) cheaper alternatives can be found at places like coastal scents, but I no longer support that company anymore due to questional practices going on :shake
Please elaborate on this Carol!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I def. agree that you should get a brush! The ones by MAC and Stila are good like carol said but also if you are looking for a cheaper alternative you could check out the ones at Everyday Minerals. I love their brushes and have never had a problem with them :)

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
everyone seems to vote for a brush, but if you decide you prefer the sponge application i thought i would contribute. i use the mac studiofix which is a foundation/powder (i think) and used to use a brush, but didn't really get enough coverage with it. i switched to the sponge that it comes with and it worked better, for me. i know sponges hold bacteria, so i change my sponge once a week (i used just the kind they sell at walgreens, which arne't as nice, but they suffice). i don't have oily skin so you might want to change sponges more frequently. i think i get two sponges for like $1.80 or something.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
What questionable practices? Was it the issue caused by the misinformed individual on youtube?

·
Denim Goddess
14,606 Posts
yes part of if is the silica powder issue. I do not believe she was totally misinformed, there is quite a bit of drama going on about that and the use of silica powder in its raw form is very controversial because of what the inhalation of it could cause. Before this MUFE HD powder craze, people were not using the 100% silica powders directly on their skin, they used it to mix with other products and dilute it, not directly. Even if she was misinformed, for Kathy to call her out like that, that is just messed up especially when she has been such a loyal customer and giving her lots of business with her youtube viewers. And i think its shady that kathy changed whatever she wrote originally to make the silica powder more appealing to the customers once she realized what everyone was starting to use it for. Also there have been other cases that I will not mention because I don't want to get myself involved with anything but let's just say she has pissed off quite a few number of people before and she just isn't a very nice person whenever any product she carries gets a bad review. Not to mention that many many coastal scents products can be found on places like ebay for cheaper since all the things like brushes and palettes are all from china (and perhaps maybe their silica powder as well since they do not specifically ever state where their products are from) and other online stores.

I'm not telling everybody else to not give coastal scents their business, just for me, from what I have heard and what some of my friends actually have gone through, and from other youtube gurus, has changed my mind about them and the fact that everything can be ordered cheaper online through ebay for the same products.. just no reason for them to have my business anymore (not that I really order from them, they don't really have anything I need).

okay that is all :)

ETA - just for anyone who doesn't know, this website is great to check out any makeup/skincare you use to see how safe it actually is to use. I look up all my products when I'm bored :p and then freak out a little :rofl
SILICA || Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews
^ that is the link to silica info btw.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I would get some type of foundation brush b/c sponges can keep bacteria in them longer. A good way to clean your brush daily is to put water and rubbing alcohol into a small spray bottle and spray really good then wipe with a clean towel. Then once a week you can clean them with a mild anti-biotic soap, rinse and dry with a clean towel. A nice kabuki brush would work for what you are using.
So it's not necessary to buy those fancy "brush cleaners"? Ha - the sales girl at MAC did a good job at suckering me into buying a lot more things than I needed. Great tip, Friskster. :thumbsup Thanks.

Oh, and just to let you know, I solely used sponges until the lady at mac said that I'd save so much more of the product and apply it more evenly if I used the brush. She was right!

·
Denim Goddess
14,606 Posts
^ I don't really recommend this, the alcohol can dry out the bristles and shorten their lifespan especially if they're natural hair bristles.. much like you wouldn't really put alcohol in your hair. If you dish out the $$ for brushes and consider them an investment, I recommend getting a brush cleaner and use it the way that charla says after every use. and of course a thorough bush cleaning/shampooing at least once a month. If you use synthetic, less to worry about, they won't really build up bacteria like the natural hair ones, but it's still icky so still clean them but you can probably get away with using rubbing alcohol on those.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was checking out the Mac 182 and Stila 21, and they sure are expensive! I went out to my local Walgreens and I bought a pack of 32 sponge wedges for ~$4. I think I will use these for now, and when I get a chance, I'll head out to Sephora or Mac and try out the brushes.

From what I have read, the brush is highly recommended over the sponge, so I will definitely be keeping an eye out for kabuki brushes.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What do you think about Bodyshop brushes? Just curious, because they are cheaper than MAC, and don't look too bad (of course, I'm not an expert).

·
Denim Goddess
14,606 Posts
they're very so so, not great, not the worst.. imo of course :)

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
snowhite - i use the mac brush cleanser but I poured half into another bottle and diluted both bottles with distilled water. it still works great since mac's cleanser feels pretty concentrated.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
snowhite - i use the mac brush cleanser but I poured half into another bottle and diluted both bottles with distilled water. it still works great since mac's cleanser feels pretty concentrated.
I do this too.. it was actually recommended by an MA at the pro store here in Dallas. Sometimes, I'll dilute it in a spray bottle, and spray my brushes with it to make it less messy and not so wasteful.

·
Denim Goddess
14,606 Posts
^ I also dilute.. it's because of the alcohol in it. Like I said in the previous post, you don't want too much alcohol b/c it will dry out the bristles. However I don't dilute 1/2, I dilute 1/4. I think 1/2 is a bit too much. I unscrewed the top of my brush cleanser bottle and found a spray from the top of another bottle I had so now I don't have to transfer any of the cleanser out into a separate bottle :)

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
^ I don't really recommend this, the alcohol can dry out the bristles and shorten their lifespan especially if they're natural hair bristles.. much like you wouldn't really put alcohol in your hair. If you dish out the $$ for brushes and consider them an investment, I recommend getting a brush cleaner and use it the way that charla says after every use. and of course a thorough bush cleaning/shampooing at least once a month. If you use synthetic, less to worry about, they won't really build up bacteria like the natural hair ones, but it's still icky so still clean them but you can probably get away with using rubbing alcohol on those.
This is a must for a spa environment. It is required by law and its fast and easy. It may not be good for the life span of brushes for home use but its sanitary for the spa. Oh and we do dilute with distilled water as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts