Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husbands laptop had the blue screen of death 2 times today.

It says it cannot find a hard drive :confused:
We turned it off for a while, took the girls down to the beach..came back and it started up just fine. He walked away from it for a little while and when he went to sit back down, the blue screen of death appeared again. At the bottom it said something like dumping physical memory. :bigeyes:bigeyes I was like "THAT can't be good" So he shut it down again. I haven't turned it back on again (it's been about 2 hrs)

Any suggestions? Has his laptop gone capoot??? :ashamed:eek:

·
Drunk Friend
11,408 Posts
dumping physical memory is just what it does on a BSOD. it doesn't make it any worse or better.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
i'll ask bf when he gets home, IT nerd to the rescue!

what type/model does he own and how old is it? what was he doing when it appeared, i.e. was he downloading an application, working in a program etc.

most likely you'll be able to save it, but you'll need someone to go into it and fix it.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll ask bf when he gets home, IT nerd to the rescue!

what type/model does he own and how old is it? what was he doing when it appeared, i.e. was he downloading an application, working in a program etc.

most likely you'll be able to save it, but you'll need someone to go into it and fix it.
Thank You Kate :) :love
It is a Dell Inspirion 6000 laptop. I bought it for him in March 2005. The first time it was just when he started up the computer. The second time, he started it and it was fine and then the blue screen came up. Not downloading any applications or working on anything.
Lastnight we lost electricity here and I think the battery died, I have no clue whether that would have caused any problems?? Anyway, TIA Kate.

·
Drunk Friend
11,408 Posts
uh... just turn it on. Is it consistently BSODing?

·
Drunk Friend
11,408 Posts
Oh wait.... WHAT? what exactly does the black screen say?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
uh... just turn it on. Is it consistently BSODing?
No, when we turn it back on after the blue screen...there is a black screen that says there is no hard drive...F1 to reboot F2 to go into setup. We got into F2 but :IDK: what to do in there:(

·
Registered
43,462 Posts

·
Drunk Friend
11,408 Posts
i hope there wasn't anything important on that hard drive

·
Drunk Friend
11,408 Posts
yes, this. something is dying, and it's probably the hdd.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
OK, it happened again

Checking File system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The volume is dirty

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification complete
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)
correcting error in index $I30 for file 2576
correcting error in index $I30 for file 2576
sorting index $I30 in file 2576

CHKDSK is recovering lost files
recovering orphaned file (and it has like 20 listed)
CHKDSK is verifying security desriptors (stage 3 of 3)
" completed
CHKDSK is verifying usn Journal
Does this mean the pc is fixing itself? :ashamed

·
Registered
186 Posts
basically it's trying, but it won't really do anything if it's running from or on the way to booting into windows

i would try booting off the windows cd, hit r to go into recovery console when it gives you the option

then just type in chkdsk /r (the /r will run the repair function on the drive)

this will sometimes fix a bsod problem, and sometimes will just let you know the drive is pretty much dead

contrary to it telling you it can't really find a drive, the same physical memory dump screens can come from bad ram, or a bad mobo chipset, among a couple other things

the computer doesn't really know what's going on with itself, and does the physical memory dump pretty much regardless

if you can, i would backup files before doing anything...gl

1 - 20 of 47 Posts