Authentic Jeans Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a question about something that happened on ebay & I think this is the right section for ebay questions, right? Here is my question: A few weeks ago my husband listed a couple of household items on ebay with the Buy It Now option. He received an email message that looked like it was from Paypal saying "notification of payment received". There wasn't an email from ebay saying that any item was sold though. We thought that maybe it was a spoof or scam email & not legit, so he acessed his Paypal account & it said that a payment was received from the person for that item, but then the payment was reversed. Then he checked ebay and the item listing was still active, as if nobody had bought it at all. It's not a problem anymore because someone else bought the item & it went fine, but I was wondering what would cause something like this to happen in case it does again. It happened very fast, & it wasn't like a payment was received and later reversed, it was just reversed right away. Thanks for your help, Ashley

·
Premium Member
26,102 Posts
Never heard of this particular thing before. Sounds strange, probably some type of scam where they hope you will ship the item before you realize it is an incorrect payment.

How did the 1st person to pay get your paypal info to pay is the ?. That shouldn't be available unless they purchased the item (or another item in the past).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Treasurehoard, that was what we thought too, that it was a scam! That was why my husband went to Paypal himself, not by clicking links on the email, but typing it into the browser. The payment showed up in his Paypal account but right above it, it said Payment Reversal or something like that. Then when he clicked on the Details for the Payment Received transaction it showed that it was for the specific item & exactly how it was listed on Ebay. So I thought that the person tried to buy & something went wrong later? Thanks again, Ashley

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
i had something similar happen once. it's not exactly like your situation in that my item ended, and i shipped it the same day it was purchased. the very next day the payment was reversed. i never saw the item again or had any kind of correspondence with the person who bought it, but a week later paypal put the money back in my account.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi treasurehoard & cat, no, we did not have any transactions with this buyer. That is why we were so confused. I was just wondering in case this happens again. Thank you both for your help, Ashley

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
i don't know. i was thinking that maybe their credit card was declined, so the auction never ended since payment wasn't completed. that might explain why it happened so quickly. :IDK i have no idea. :eek: call paypal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME TWO DAYS AGO!!! The item never showed up as being "sold" on eBay, but payment was received through paypal. Then it was reversed. I have sent a message to the buyer, but haven't heard anything back from them. Weird....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again, that makes sense. I bet that the card was declined. Good to know. Hubby didn't make a big deal of it since he sold the thing anyway, but I was wondering in case I begin selling there. I am kind of afraid to try ebay right now though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts