Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ochem is the bane of my existance. that is all. :cry

i have to memorize like 20 mechanisms...and i suck at chemistry. GRR. i need to pass this class to graduate in may too with my bio major. its totally ruining my senior year. :shake wahhh...anyone else ever suffer from this horrible horrible class? any advice with memorizing a million reaction mechanisms? :(

also doesn't help that in between 5 minutes of studying, i take 1 hour breaks surfing on AF. :love:cry

· Registered
357 Posts
yes. i've suffered. oh most definitely suffered. but really, there's no way around it you just have to memorize everything. the best way is just learn by repetition. it sucks, but you have to do it.

· Registered
2,735 Posts
EEEEwww..Chemistry. :panic

I hate it with a passion.:madbeating

I dropped out of my Analytical Chem class 2x...I just freakin' couldn't take it. Towards my last year in college, I had to suck it in. I needed it to graduate, too.

That's why I am all praise to people who actually LOVES chemistry. :puke

· Registered
6,320 Posts
I found that it was way easier to understand how to push electrons (as in understand nucleophilicity and electrophilicity) than to memorize everything straight up.

· Registered
4,016 Posts
organic chem is what nightmares are made of
i am also a bio major, and i got sucked into the orgo vortex

i feel for you, i'm sorry!

· Registered
6,227 Posts
I found that it was way easier to understand how to push electrons (as in understand nucleophilicity and electrophilicity) than to memorize everything straight up.
Wow, I bow to anyone that can actually understand ochem. Took two semesters, and I think those were the worst two classes in my college experience and my worst two grades, ha. Don't think I can tell you one thing I actually learned in the class. If I could make it thru, I def. know you can....and just think how happy you'll be when you do, Good Luck!!

· Registered
937 Posts
Organic chem was the bane of my existence in second year university. The only way I managed to pass was by going through about a pack and a half of cue cards, about 10 different colored pens, and about 200 hours of my life that I will never get back. :cry:cry:cry Good luck with it!

· Registered
357 Posts
yes. understanding is essential (as it is in all science courses)! but its those odd mechanisms that only occur between certain molecules/reactions that make you want to throw yourself out the window. i'm so glad i don't do that anymore. those chem majors/masters students are freaks. though, i did have this SUPER HOT TA in undergrad that made ochem somewhat tolerable...at least for 1hr/wk. :jumping

· Registered
937 Posts
yes. understanding is essential (as it is in all science courses)! but its those odd mechanisms that only occur between certain molecules/reactions that make you want to throw yourself out the window. i'm so glad i don't do that anymore. those chem majors/masters students are freaks. though, i did have this SUPER HOT TA in undergrad that made ochem somewhat tolerable...at least for 1hr/wk. :jumping
:rofl There was one of those in my orgo lab too...unfortunately he TAed the group next to mine. I did still have to steal my lab partner's product a few times though because I was distracted and mine didn't crystallize properly...:rofl:rofl:rofl

· Registered
3,538 Posts
Started my first quarter this quarter. One of three. Ughhhh. I haven't even gotten to labs yet. If it wasn't graded, I'd be super excited...I actually think ochem is interesting, and I think I understand most of it. I just don't do well on the exams :(

I find ochem very...mathematical, heh...

· Registered
357 Posts
i hate organic chem :shake

this is my second year going through it...and i still hate it just as much as before :fish

but, what i hate more is physical chem!!!!!!!!
oh..don't even get me started on phys chem! i think that's the only class that i've EVER dropped right after taking the mid-term. And believe me, i've been in school a LONG time.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Ok, I was one of those freaks who loved o-chem and the accompanying labs. :ashamed Though I will admit, the number of types of reactions you had to memorize drove me nuts too.

Good luck with your studying!

· Registered
5,192 Posts
QFT!

Five words: Orgo makes perfect sense ... usually.

Understand the mechanisms instead of just trying to straight-up memorize them and the patterns and parallels you'll notice will make it so much easier IMO.

· Registered
3,829 Posts
Can't be much help here. I managed to get my first degree w/out "passing" any chem classes (not that I didn't attempt them a time or two) but now that I'm returning 7 years later for a nursing degree, I am starting in a chem050 class (below college level) cause all chem is goofy to me (I'm a bio gal). So I'm nowhere close to ochem but wish you the best of luck....and not looking forward to it when I get there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.