Authentic Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Revolve marks the package with the price you paid for the item. Sometimes customs will let your package go tax-free, sometimes they won't. I would expect to pay taxes, as more often than not I get charged when buying from them, but it still ends up cheaper than purchasing at a store in Canada.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Revolve marks the package with the price you paid for the item. Sometimes customs will let your package go tax-free, sometimes they won't. I would expect to pay taxes, as more often than not I get charged when buying from them, but it still ends up cheaper than purchasing at a store in Canada.
Agreed. But I've ordered from Revolve about a dozen times and I think I've only paid duties once to date! That just goes to show how random it is...

Orders with high values are also more likely to be hit with customs fees, so if you are ordering R&Rs it could happen. Anything under $100 is less likely to get hit, and I don't think I've ever had to pay duties on anything valued under $75ish (unless a courier was used, they always charge handling fees :rolleyes:) but the actual limit is $50 -- anything valued under 50 is never supposed to have duties applied even if it's not marked as a gift.

(But contrary to popular belief, "gifts" over $50 can still get hit by duties!)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have not had a problem with any of my online purchases unless its over $400-$500. I have been taxed small amount on purchases valued at around $300 ($20-$30). Also some online stores charge some extra tax for international shipments and I believe that this partially covers the duties and custom fees. I used to order tons and tons off of Victorias Secret...they charged this tax and as a result...I was never charged anything extra for customs and duties. I just ordered a top off of revolve a few days and I was charged a this tax so i'm assuming that there will be no additional customs and duty fee.

·
Banned
569 Posts
I live in Alberta. I ordered 2 seperate orders from Revolve to apply different coupons (restricted/non restricted) I paid GST, handling and duty...Gayed. Free shipping does not include handling /cry

·
Banned
569 Posts
The first order was $105ish
the second one was $300ish
The taxes is 5% cuz i live in alberta. No PST
duties can't remember @[email protected]
Handling- combined with duties for a total close to 35 dollars for both orders. ISH

Sorry i can't remeber the exact values :p canadians get a bunch of crap when they order from the US.

·
Registered
98 Posts
hey op! just for reference, i live in ontario and ordered off revolve (for the first time) in mid november and just received my package today.

i felt like the taxes/duties were little steep on my package though... i ordered a pair of r&r for $126CAD and i ended up having to pay $21.06.. :confused:

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
hey op! just for reference, i live in ontario and ordered off revolve (for the first time) in mid november and just received my package today.

i felt like the taxes/duties were little steep on my package though... i ordered a pair of r&r for $126CAD and i ended up having to pay $21.06.. :confused:
90% of the time, USPS does not charge duties.
They do charge a handling fee, $5 if your item was unopened, and $8 for opened. (at customs).

Ontario is at... 13%?

126*.13 = 16.38
answer+5 = 21.38

They charged you exactly what you owed. A tiny bit less even.

Every package also comes with the customs form stuck on top explaining the charges, but nobody ever bothers to read it.

ETA: Make your sig smaller or you're gonna get told later on by the mods. Or they might just do it for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
90% of the time, USPS does not charge duties.
They do charge a handling fee, $5 if your item was unopened, and $8 for opened. (at customs).

Ontario is at... 13%?

126*.13 = 16.38
answer+5 = 21.38

They charged you exactly what you owed. A tiny bit less even.

Every package also comes with the customs form stuck on top explaining the charges, but nobody ever bothers to read it.

ETA: Make your sig smaller or you're gonna get told later on by the mods. Or they might just do it for you.
Thanks for the clarification; I haven't actually picked up my package yet (I plan to do so today), but did receive the slip that they leave when no one is home to answer the door, which stated the charge.

I've only ever ordered from stores which had locations in Toronto, and have never dealt with USPS, or Canadian customs for that matter, but thank you again for the clarification.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Thanks for the clarification; I haven't actually picked up my package yet (I plan to do so today), but did receive the slip that they leave when no one is home to answer the door, which stated the charge.

I've only ever ordered from stores which had locations in Toronto, and have never dealt with USPS, or Canadian customs for that matter, but thank you again for the clarification.
Stores in Ontario are obligated to charge 13% sales tax on items shipped within the province, so the only difference here is a $5 handling fee. (And lots of Ontario stores charge for shipping even in Canada, whereas Revolve is free even internationally.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stores in Ontario are obligated to charge 13% sales tax on items shipped within the province, so the only difference here is a $5 handling fee. (And lots of Ontario stores charge for shipping even in Canada, whereas Revolve is free even internationally.)
Yeah, I understand now, thank you.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
No problemo :D

·
Banned
569 Posts
har har sucks for u guys :D 5% alberta! cuz we are filthy rich with oil :]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts