Authentic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my kids & husband a game unit for Christmas but since the original Nintendo, I know nothing about any of them.
We have a Playstation 2 right now so its between the xbox & wii.

Suggestions? Likes & dislikes of both?

Also, I hear there are different levels of xboxes to buy & I don't understand that. I think there's a boxing game for the xbox that was mentioned. We aren't big on video games so any info would help!
Thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you are looking for something for the whole family to play together, Wii is definitely the way to go. How old are your kids? Younger kids will definitely love the Wii more. IMO, the Xbox 360 is more for hardcore gamers, whereas the Wii is for kids and families to enjoy together. The different levels of the 360 mostly has to do with the size of memory that it comes with. If your family is not too hardcore on the gaming, the most standard version should be fine.

·
Registered
43,462 Posts

·
Registered
15,014 Posts
I say get the wii, I also ordered mine from this site which has great bundles...wiiworldstore.com
I love the wii b|c its so interactive for the whole family and soo fun! the xbox we have but only the boyfriend plays it I dont think it has a lot of "together" games IMO :)
the wii is the best choice.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My parents have a wii & its fun but gets boring to me.
My kids are 3, 11, & 12. My husband is 33 lol.

Nola, that's mostly what we have been using the PS2 for is movies :rofl

My other question on the wii is don't you have to purchase a million accessories for the different games? My parents are still buying junk for it & they've had it for 2 years.

·
Registered
43,462 Posts
the xbox is far superior when it comes to graphics. 2 of 3 of your kids would probably prefer the xbox .. but it's not as fun unless you go Live .. which is more money. it's not incredibly expensive, but there is a charge for it. and to let you know, you can hear the other people playing and there's a shit ton of cussing and foul languge/usage going on.:eek:
what truly sucks about the xbox is that if the unit tips over, or you even hit it with your elbow.. there's a high possibility that the disk will be damaged. there is also the infamous 'ring of death' for the xbox's. once this happens, it's toast unless you have a son that knows how to fix it. :p:eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I have the wii & I love it! I agree the xbox is more for hardcore gamers, my bf plays games all the time & has an xbox & ps3.

There are accessories for a lot of the wii games but not many that you have to have. The only accessories I have are the controls it comes with, & the balance board for wii fit.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ring of death & disk damage possibilites on the xbox are pretty scary considering the 3 year old always running around.

·
Denim Goddess
7,218 Posts
I bought an XBOX 360 for my two guys. Dh loves it, Abram loves it. As you know Abram is 5 and he is able to play the Star Wars game and beat levels so the controller must be too hard to figure out.:thumbsup

DH said he was glad I didn't buy the Wii because he doesn't like standing up to play his video games.:rofl Lazy ass.:rofl

·
Denim Goddess
7,218 Posts
I got mine early this year when Walmart was offering them for $199 and you got a $100 gift card. So basically it was $99. I bought the Arcade version, and need to get a hard drive for it because Abram cannot play his Sonic game without it. That is one draw back so YES do what Nola said and buy one with the hard drive already there.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I'd get a 360. There are more games available on 360 and Live really isn't that expensive. You can usually find Gold memberships (what you need to play online) for around $40. You can get Netflix videos and other tv shows too.

For online play, you can choose different "zones" to play in (recreation, pro, family, underground) so you get matched up with others in your zone. If your kids are going to play online, you can set them in the family zone so they don't end up playing with underground players.

Newer units don't get the "red ring" much anymore with the new chipsets and they are covered for 3 years if that does happen. MS will replace or repair the console free of charge. Our first 360 got the red ring and was still within the 3 year period so we called MS and they had us send it in. Got it repaired and haven't had any problems since then.

We have 2 xbox's and a wii, but the wii doesn't get played much. There's just not enough fun stuff on it. Our kid does play it sometimes but he gets bored quickly with it. The 360s have been played hard and they're still running just fine. If you keep the 360 laid horizontally, no worries about tipping it over.

Amazon has the Elite model with a 120 GB hard drive w/ Lego Batman and Pure for $270.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I think that the Wii would be the funnest. I have a wii but I personally don't love it. I like my ps2 better, and my husband likes our ps3, my son loves the wii and he's 3.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
They have very different purposes. The wii is unbeatable for multiplayer games imo, mario kart, super smash brothers, wii sports etc. and many of the games are designed to be family friendly. The 360/PS3 are more for single player and online play and generally have more mature games

For a family I think I'd go with a wii, especially since you have young kids. It has more games that they would play together, rather than single player or online. In the senior lounge at my school we're playing an old N64 90% of the time and if not its a wii. Someone brought in a 360 for a few days but we went back to the nintendos almost immediately, its just more conducive to playing with other (irl) people

Also, if you decide against the wii I'd take the PS3 over the 360 unless your kids absolutely have to have Halo. Better reliability, and if you're kids don't end up using it its a much better media center than the 360. You get bluray and can easily stream content from the pc.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
We have both, I prefer the Wii but my Husband (and son, 4) prefer the Xbox. Actually my son likes to bowl on Wii a lot but he loves Marble Fu and the Motorcycle game Trials HD on XBox (both Xbox arcade games), we don't allow him to use xbox live. We all play Guitar Hero as a family, and that is really fun.

So uhhh...yeah, get both :D

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah, I won't let my kids play the more adult games. We wouldn't even buy them. Is there a large selection of kid friendly games?

I really don't want a wii but that's just me alone. I played super mario kart & after 5 races I was so bored.

I guess I haven't thought about a ps3 though.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I have all 3 systems (Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii) and my favorite is the Xbox. I basically purchased the PS3 because it plays Blu-Ray and at the time, Blu-Ray players were about the same price.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts