Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to go cross-border shopping!!! :excited Although I have been avoiding the crazy long border lines for the last month or so... my boyfriend and I plan to hit the border by 4am Sunday to beat the supposed 3 hour long lines... Our friends are going overnight Saturday to beat the rush..... aah the things Canadians will do to get a good deal :D lol.

Any Canadians reading? Have any of you ventured across the border lately, and really how long are these lines? :confused: Before our dollar was above par I was used to 1 1/2 hour lines but 3... even 4 hours now thats ridiculous! :eyebug

Oh and this will be a longer trip... We usually just hit up Bellis fair and the outlet mall in Tulalip but this time we're gonna drive to Lynnwood for the larger mall and NR. Anyone shop there? Reviews? Is the shopping good there? :IDK

Pointless thread?.. perhaps yes, but I :love cross-border shopping, it's like a day trip that my bf and I always look forward to! :woohoo

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
:eyebug I want to go :drool: I don't have the time though :cry

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I am living in the US now which makes me mad (think of how cheap jeans would be for me on Ebay right now!)!

But my parents cross the boarder at least once a month to go to Grand Forks. They got this thing called Nexxus which is a long process but now all they have to do is go to this machine at the boarder, it scans their retinas and as long as they are under their decleration limit they can just go through without any hassle.

I guess the line times all depend on where you are travelling to.

But I cannot believe how high the dollar is!!!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I wanted to make a post about this yesterday, but I didn't know how well it would have been received ... :rofl

The CAD is up against almost everything ... six years ago it was $1 CAD = $5 HKD, but now it's $1 CAD > $8 HKD. INSANE. I can't wait to go shopping this Christmas!!! :jumping

Yesterday at cbc.ca there was an article about how confidence in the USD has pretty much hit rock bottom since China announced that they are going to liquidate some of their USD holdings in order to invest in stronger currencies. I'm too lazy to find the article now, but here is a quote:

WhatWHAT?!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Haven't gone yet, but i'm heading down next month :headspin (note to dollar: please stay high in that time....)

There's actually a website by Canadian Border Services that updates wait times at the important border crossings throughout the day:

Border Wait Times

It's not TERRIBLY detailed, but should give you an idea of wat you should expect.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
can you go to a different border crossing? We go through at fort erie and I dont think the lines have ever been 4 hours long...
Maybe 1 or 2 at the most.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
pisses me off. my dad works in canada and gets paid in USD. he's been losing up to $2000 these past few months to exchange rate.
:( horrible indeed....sigh

great shopping time for the Canadians though, I know when I was in Vancouver and Toronto, anything that was worth buying was wayyyy overpriced since it was imported.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am living in the US now which makes me mad (think of how cheap jeans would be for me on Ebay right now!)!

But my parents cross the boarder at least once a month to go to Grand Forks. They got this thing called Nexxus which is a long process but now all they have to do is go to this machine at the boarder, it scans their retinas and as long as they are under their decleration limit they can just go through without any hassle.

I guess the line times all depend on where you are travelling to.

But I cannot believe how high the dollar is!!!
Oh I've always wondered what the Nexus line was for! They scan the person's retinas????

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can you go to a different border crossing? We go through at fort erie and I dont think the lines have ever been 4 hours long...
Maybe 1 or 2 at the most.
Yeah I usually go to Pac Hwy or Peace Arch crossing and usually (before parity) wait an hour and a half but I've been hearing the lines are crazy with the strong dollar. Right now... its even the middle of the day... the wait times are one hour :shake

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
pisses me off. my dad works in canada and gets paid in USD. he's been losing up to $2000 these past few months to exchange rate.
:( horrible indeed....sigh

great shopping time for the Canadians though, I know when I was in Vancouver and Toronto, anything that was worth buying was wayyyy overpriced since it was imported.

Now you know why that model Gisele Bündchen wants to be paid in Euros, cause the $ is sucking badly right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I crossed the border a couple of weeks ago and only waited about 40 minutes each way. :)

I want to go again but I'm poor now...lol.

I will hopefully go again before Christmas.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Oh great! An invasion of Canadians buying up our cheap sources of premium denim with their funny colored moneys. Yeesh. :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Where do you guys go shopping when you come down from the Great White North? I know its a long border...yeesh.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
You know I can't really tell you what the lines will be like for you, but whenever I've crossed I've found the Pac Hwy border is better. At least you are really close to the border! I highly recommend going to Lynnwood for the Nordstrom there. I heard they just remodeled it and it's really nice and big. :D I've been to the Lynnwood NR a couple times and just like any other rack, it just depends on what comes in. But it is a really big rack!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Holy crap, I just googled it and...1 U.S. dollar = 0.915000146 Canadian dollars. :eek::eek::eek: I'm kind of tempted to skip work one day and go shopping! :blink

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Oh great! An invasion of Canadians buying up our cheap sources of premium denim with their funny colored moneys. Yeesh. :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Where do you guys go shopping when you come down from the Great White North? I know its a long border...yeesh.
oh shaataaap

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I've been to the Lynnwood NR...it's pretty big. But I wasn't impressed by the MENs selection of denim. The women's seem to have quite a bit though.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts

You're just jealous our money is so alive with color :magwink

I wanted to make a post about this yesterday, but I didn't know how well it would have been received ... :rofl

The CAD is up against almost everything ... six years ago it was $1 CAD = $5 HKD, but now it's $1 CAD > $8 HKD. INSANE. I can't wait to go shopping this Christmas!!! :jumping

Yesterday at cbc.ca there was an article about how confidence in the USD has pretty much hit rock bottom since China announced that they are going to liquidate some of their USD holdings in order to invest in stronger currencies. I'm too lazy to find the article now, but here is a quote:

WhatWHAT?!
When I first came to Canada (14..? years ago) 1 CDN = around 20 Taiwanese Dollars (I don't know the correct abbreviation for it) and now it's >30. Good for me to go back and shop, bad for my dad cause he works in Taiwan :(

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
When I first came to Canada (14..? years ago) 1 CDN = around 20 Taiwanese Dollars (I don't know the correct abbreviation for it) and now it's >30. Good for me to go back and shop, bad for my dad cause he works in Taiwan :(
Yeah, my parents also make HKD. Doesn't really affect me, but they still do help my brother and sister (they're both in university right now).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts