Authentic Jeans Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some inspiration regarding my career (or lack of it!).

I have a degree in politics and economics and previously worked at a large High School in the registery dept, but when i relocated due to my fiance's job i had to quit that.

Since then i have managed to build quite a successful little shop on ebay, which pays my bills. I love it but feel pressure to get back in the workplace. I kind of wish ebay had a little more legitimacy as a decent career over here, but people look at me funny when i tell them that's what i do!

So my question is what do you do for a living? What does it entail and most importantly do you enjoy it?!!:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Are you ruling out grad school? I was an econ major (concentrated in labor economics) and went on to law school. I'm a lawyer now and enjoy it quite a bit although sometimes there seem to be what I'd consider frivolous arguments about inconsequential things. It gets stressful too...lots of deadlines. I do enjoy the writing aspect of it and developing creative arguments.

Before grad school, I worked in pension plan administration. It's a lot of math and spreadsheets, but you should be well prepared with an econ degree, provided you like that sort of thing. I know in the US the ERISA statute is fairly complicated, so pension plan people are always needed. It's got a learning curve, but my econ background allowed me to pick it up quickly.

good luck!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Snoop!:)

To be honest grad school isn't really an option. With a mortgage and other bills to pay for i need a paying job. Definitely can't afford the £3,500+ outlay for a course at the moment.

I'm in the process of applying for another role in a college in the finance dept, but i can't seem to pin point something that i'd really love. :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do you like working with people or numbers more? Or ideas? Do you prefer to work alone? Do you want part time or full time?

What about something in human resources? My labor econ classes would've given me an ok background for that, and I inititally considered going into it. Maybe if you can figure out what what you like, it can help narrow it down? Or you could work for a non profit whose cause you like.

I know what you're going through. It's not like I had a passion for 401(k)s and IRS compliance so I wasn't sure what to do after that! :rofl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts