Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the EXTREMELY LOUD chirp the smoke alarm makes when the battery is almost dead? Yeah, apparently my complex management thinks that I should have to put up with that for 36 hours straight. There is one outside of my apartment in the inside stairwell- too high for me to reach without a ladder. It's in the common area anyway so its not supposed to be my responsibility anyway. It started "chirping" in the middle of the night last night and I've been calling the supers all day today. No response. I finally got through to one who told me he was NOT going to come fix it because it was NOT an emergency and the weekend supers ONLY fix emergencies. Thus, I am supposed to wait until Monday for my regular super to come to fix the "non-emergent" problem.

I seriously want to shoot someone. Everytime it chrips my left temple throbs. I can hear it over the tv with my bedroom door closed even. There is nothing that drowns it out it seems. Last night was a miserable sleep and now I'm supposed to deal with 2 more nights of this.

I wish I knew what apartment the weekend super lived in so I could stand outside his window and sound a blowhorn every 60 seconds and see if he thinks its still a "non-emergency" situation. I am so livid right now I don't know what to do. Deprive me of sleep and you will have one h*ll of a nasty B on your hands... :mad:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I know the sound- and it is super duper loud!! Once my dog was stuck in the house with a chirping alarm for a full 8-hour work day. When we came home he was a shaking nervous wreck, and he's still neurotic when he hears anything similar. I feel so bad for you!! Can you stay the night with a friend or family?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ready... aim...

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you stay the night with a friend or family?
Not really. Either people are too far away or busy with other stuff. Anyway, its supposed to be like this til Monday- that's a long time to be displaced. I'm thinking of going to Target and getting some ear plugs????

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Ear plugs are a good idea! If only you could reach it, you could either disarm it or tape a big pillow over the damn thing.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Can you get a friend to help you? Could you stand on a chair on top of a table? (lol, that sounds safe, right? We do that when we need to change a lightbulb in our really high ceiling recessed lighting) I REALLY feel your pain.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
throw a boot at it. i really don't think i could put up with it. do you have access to a ladder or can you stand on a chair and bust it down with a broom or mop handle??

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
omg, that would drive me insane. I absolutely hate any type of noise like that. Is there any way to find a step stool to turn it off or is it high enough that you need a ladder?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I think I'd be half tempted to call the super back and tell him that in the event of an actual emergency no one would know because the smoke alarm is without a fully functional battery therefore making the changing of the battery an emergency. Thank you and goodnight

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I think I'd be half tempted to call the super back and tell him that in the event of an actual emergency no one would know because the smoke alarm is without a fully functional battery therefore making the changing of the battery an emergency. Thank you and goodnight
DO IT! haha and finish with a , So F* YOU BEOTCH

or tell him since he wont fix it he needs to reimburse you for hotel expenses since his current building is not compliant with current fire codes.

i don't even think that makes since lol. But seriously, what an ass.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
That's probably illegal. Call the fire department. Maybe they'll come fix it and issue him a citation.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That's probably illegal. Call the fire department. Maybe they'll come fix it and issue him a citation.
I think this is a good idea!

Numero10, I hope you figure out something soon. I can't even tolerate my smoke detector's low battery warning, I'm sure this is so much worse, I'm sorry you have to suffer :headspin

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
i had to put up with this for a few days.. and it was on a really high ceiling.
We just took a realllllllllly long pole and pushed the battery out. Then it was quiet until the people came to fix it.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
That would drive me insane! I'd end up buying a battery & getting a ladder to fix it myself.
I would have to shoot it, sorry, or get a broom handle and beat it till its broke:shake

1 - 20 of 35 Posts