Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Denim Goddess
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I like the Jojoba soooo much, I stopped using the Taz but every couple of days :eyebug It seemed like the Taz was working, but drying me out so much my skin wouldn't exfoliate and it would just get clogged up. Anyway, much better now. What the heck is in Jojoba anyway? I have no black heads and if I get one they just rubs off. I haven't had any new zits and my skin looks healthy :) I use it to remove my make-up, then sometimes I wash it off and then reapply it as a moisturizer.

I also used it on my son's facial skin rash and it helped alot.

Jojoba Oil:
The structure of jojoba oil closely resembles that of your own skin sebum, and because of this it has a natural affinity to the skin, and is readily absorbed without making the skin feel greasy or tacky nor does it clog the pores and helps to balance the production of sebum - your skin's own lubricating medium. A typical chemical analysis of jojoba oil includes palmitic, palmitoleic, stearic, oleic, linoleic, linolenic, and arachidic, eicosenoic, behenic, and erucic and lignoceric fatty acids. It contains myristic acid which also has an anti-inflammatory action. Jojoba oil has the ability to minimize fine lines and wrinkles, promoting skin suppleness while assisting with the rejuvenation of the skin and forms a non-greasy, non-tacky layer with exceptional trans-epidermal water control.

Jojoba oil is well tolerated by people with skin problems and does not aggravate acne, and also helps to break down sebum in plugged-up pores.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
That's great! :D Jojoba is not an oil, but a wax.
As for the Taz- Char, try using it in AM, Short Contact, or PM, but in any case use daily. Or you'll never build a good tolerance to it.

·
Denim Goddess
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^Yes, I don't see why not. That is basically what I do but with Taz and don't have any problems. I have never used Differin though. You can read this section from tetrakis notepad from Makeup Alley....Jenn always refers her when talking about retinoids:

Question: Is it ok to use creams with my retinoid? Should I apply it under or over?
Answers:

IIRC, vitmain A derivatives are not water-soluble:
but they are lipid soluble. Therefore, if you place a cream that has ingredients with hydrophobic properties (i.e. this would be most heavy emollients) beneath your vitamin A derivative, I would assume that some of it would become solubilized in the cream (ie. 'trapped' in the cream) and may not make it down in to the epdiermis/dermis (which is must to be active) depending on formulation.

She's right about glycolic acid helping penetration regarding retinoids but that's dependent on :

1) when you use it
2) the formula

What I mean is, the cream (or souflee) the glycolic acid is in may actually cause less penetration (just simply because of the formula). Usually, I see glycolic acid creams rec'ed for morning use if you use retinoids. However, it appears you use C in the morning, so this creates a conundrum =). Using it in the morning would cause exfoliation which would probably help your retinoid penetrate better at night (without having to worry about any of it getting trapped in the cream).

I think I would ask cillikat about this. She uses glycolic acid with her retinoids. I suspect she will tell you to use it at night *after* retin A so as not to worry about the creamy souflee blocking absorption of the retin A. HTH!

The mechanism of inhibition regarding penetration of a retinoid :
is probably related to forming a physical and chemical barrier (by dissolving some of the retinoid in the lipophilic components of the moisturizer , thus limiting penetration in to the epidermis and dermis).

However, in my opinion, you should only be concerned about that if you have been using it for a long time and your skin is very used to retinoids. Yes, moisturizing an hour or 30 minutes later is going to limit penetration of these drugs (depending on which one we're talking about), however (with the exception of retin A micro), retinoids work very well in limited contact with the skin (eg short contact therapy can be as little as 2 minutes a day with tazorac and still shows clinical effectiveness).

Therefore, it is absolutely possible (and likely) that your skin absorbs all the drug you need in the 30min-1hour that you're waiting before applying the moisturizer. I don't mean to be insulting/condescending, but I think that you might be making too big of a deal about the 'moisturizing limits effectiveness' phenomenon. If you need moisturizer, then go for it. =) The amount of decrease in effectiveness that you're going to see probably isn't going to have a huge impact on your young skin (I have the feeling you're late teens/early 20s IIRC from earlier posts?)

Just ask cillikat, she *mixes* her taz with a moisturizer and applies and she still sees great results (and she's not even waiting 30 min-1hour). Also, just go to google and type in "Short Contact Therapy Retinoid" and see the hits you get. What I'm trying to say is: the retinoid doesn't have to be in optimal contact (ie penetration) with your skin *all* night in order for you to see results. Just do what works for you =)

And you can find plenty of clinical articles online that actually *recommend* applying moisturizer over (and sometimes even under if you're really sensitive) your retinoid (be it tretinoin, tazorac, etc) in order to limit irritation. Trust me on this =). I've probably read close to 100 medical articles on retinoids, and I see this recommendation all the time. Yes, I know the prescribing doctors and inserts in the packages say not to, but they're not telling you the whole story, which is that it's ok in certain circumstances =) HTH!

Based on the above posts of mine copied from the skincare board (and recommendations of derms posted by many MUAers) if you want to achieve maximum efficacy, you should not use other cosmetics with your retinoid (the exception being glycolic acid products that do not have much chance of interfering with absorption/penetration, such as toners, which will enhance the penetration of your retinoid). That being said, mixing your retinoid with creams/serums (or applying creams under/over your retinoid) can be an effective way to 'buffer' the irritation that can accompany their use, just keep in mind that efficacy will be slightly reduced, as well. For more information on 'buffering' retinoids, try a board search on the skincare board.

***Note, the above statements do not apply to retin-A micro (RAM), which is a time-release formula. If you *must* use a moisturizer to make it tolerable, then do so, but if you are going for maximum efficacy, I would avoid it. This is because there is no way to know how other cosmetic ingredients might effect the diffiusion of the tretinoin away from the microspheres and into your skin.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
^^ You misunderstood Shelley, Char- she's not going to use the oil over or under the retinoid, but using it for cleansing and washing it off again. :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It doesn't really smell like anything-- it's great!

You can either massage into your face to remove makeup and loosen plugs, then remove with a soft warm wet washcloth (the oil cleansing method) or use a drop or two rubbed between fingers and patted on the face to moisturize.

I also use it with essential oils (clary sage, rosemary, etc.) mixed in for a hair treatment and scalp massage. I have a special blend for hair growth because I had a lot of hair loss a couple of years ago and wanted to make sure my scalp was healthy. It works great. You can also use a drop or two on the ends of wet hair to moisturize.

·
Denim Goddess
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Char how much do you use & how do you use it?
My skin is drying out a bit too from the retinoids
At night I usually put some on a 1-2 cotton balls to remove eye makeup. Then, I use a quarter size dollop and rub it into my face with my fingers really massaging it in to remove the MMU from the rest of my face.

Non Taz Nights:
I wipe off the excess with a cotton ball and then apply some Hyaluronic acid Serum. (sometimes I wash, just depends on how dirty my face is)

Taz Nights:
I then wash my face with this Dr. Bonner's Baby Mild Soap very diluted. Wait 20-30 minutes and apply the Taz.

In the morning if I use Taz, I'll wash my face with the Dr. Bonners and then apply two drop of Jojoba with the HA serum. If I didn't use the Taz, I just rinse my face with water. But, this also depends on how my face feels: oily... wash, not oily...don't :)

I noticed that my face was getting super dry using the Taz every night. I started to get clogged pores and more break-outs because basically the clogs were stuck (I guess) in dead skin. Since I've been using Jojoba, no more clogs :)

Also if my hair is dry, I'll put some in before I shampoo.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Organic jojoba oil should be available at any Whole Foods.
Char, try using the HA first, let sink in, then seal in with oil. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts