Authentic Jeans Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and this is why...
This is only the 2nd time since I've owned designer jeans that I've taken jeans to get "repaired".
I took a pair of TRs that I hemmed & had to cut, to get the end re-inforced.
I described to the girl what I wanted done exactly, about 4 times.
She said she understood and was going to tell the tailor that when she did them.
This is what I asked for:

This is what I got (different pair of jeans):

they are hemmed without the originals that I re-attached!!! After about 10 minutes of searching we found one of the hems.

I took another pair to have the zipper replaced. When I first looked at them I thought they were fine.
Done perfectly, so that it looked like the original.
AFTER I got home, I looked at them more carefully (they let me take this pair w/o paying).
I then noticed that they didn't replace the zipper, all they did was take out the bottom metal piece, and stitch it up some.
Not a lot, just some, leading me to believe that maybe the zipper will come of the track again sooner or later.

I left the first pair at the place, so that I can go and speak to the tailor that actually hemmed them.
So I guess when I go I will take the 2nd pair back. The total amount for the "repairs" is $27 :shake

What should I do/say about this?
The first pair is still on the TR website for $284 (I plan on going back with a printout of the jeans & price).
I told the lady at the tailor (not the actual tailor) that I was not going to pay $$ for them since they're not done the way I asked them to be done. And I let her know how much they cost
The 2nd pair I didn't pay that much for, but still $15 for something I could have done myself??

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is when you buy a sewing machine, learn how to use it and do it yourself.
I do have a sewing machine, and have had one for years. But I don't have the ability to stitch the jeans up, as in the first picture. I hemmed over 20 pairs one day.
I also didn't want to replace the zipper on my own. The only place around here that has zippers is walmart, and they look cheap.

hjohnson, I haven't paid for anything yet.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Oh, I must have missed that. Good call, if it were me I would refuse to pay. Even if you speak to the tailor who did them, I would not want them to try to fix anything further. Maybe you should just move on and look for another tailor.

·
Registered
10,768 Posts
I love my tailor. I had to do quite a bit of shopping around to get a good one. I don't have the patience to alter stuff myself. Just keep looking.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
That sucks. I have a friend that goes to some lady and she's messed up about four pairs. Why he keeps taking them back... I have no idea.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
That sucks! I have always had good luck getting original hems done and zippers replaced at my tailors. I had two zippers replaced @ $15 apiece. Saves me the headache of buying a zipper and trying to figure out how to take out the old one/put in the new one without destroying my jeans. Replacing a zipper does NOT mean stitching up the old one and I would definitely complain.

·
Premium Member
32,335 Posts
I do have a sewing machine, and have had one for years. But I don't have the ability to stitch the jeans up, as in the first picture. I hemmed over 20 pairs one day.
I also didn't want to replace the zipper on my own. The only place around here that has zippers is walmart, and they look cheap.

hjohnson, I haven't paid for anything yet.
Then buy a serger (they have them fairly cheap too)
or use a zig zag on your raw edges.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sucks! I have always had good luck getting original hems done and zippers replaced at my tailors. I had two zippers replaced @ $15 apiece. Saves me the headache of buying a zipper and trying to figure out how to take out the old one/put in the new one without destroying my jeans. Replacing a zipper does NOT mean stitching up the old one and I would definitely complain.
I actually figured out how to replace a zipper. (I looked at a pair of jeans that had the zipper replace), but I didn't want to attempt doing that myself. I hate the idea of cutting jeans.

Then buy a serger (they have them fairly cheap too)
or use a zig zag on your raw edges.
thank you! I am going to look for a serger today
I didn't use the zig zag, because it comes out funny (I probably have to play with it a little bit though)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts