Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my quarterly statements came in (mfs, schwab, hartford, axa) and i lost approx. $85k!!!! what the eff!!!! i dont even want to know what my other accounts are like right now. now i'm beginning to wonder what my future is gonna be like. im starting to panic and dont know what to do. my accountant told me to keep the money in its place instead of withdrawing and putting it in a CD. i want to take his advice but i dont want to loose more money...if i leave it the way it is..it MIGHT go up...but im doubting that. like wtf...

has anyone else lost a ton of money??? any advice??? shouldnt the government like...help us out in some form??? (probably a dumb and retarded question)

·
Drunk Friend
11,408 Posts
yes, more power to the federal government. here, have some of someone else's money.

·
Banned
3,407 Posts
*sigh* one of the 41% of american who don't check their accounts inter-quarter

·
Banned
710 Posts
There are a lot of people who lost a lot more than 85k and aren't asking the gov't for handouts. My parents have lost over 500 since sept. 15th :shake Everyones in the same boat

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
That sucks. But I do think if the government can bail out corporate America, what about us? Oh wait, they didn't forget about us...we get to take it up the ass in taxes.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
so my quarterly statements came in (mfs, schwab, hartford, axa) and i lost approx. $85k!!!! what the eff!!!! i dont even want to know what my other accounts are like right now. now i'm beginning to wonder what my future is gonna be like. im starting to panic and dont know what to do. my accountant told me to keep the money in its place instead of withdrawing and putting it in a CD. i want to take his advice but i dont want to loose more money...if i leave it the way it is..it MIGHT go up...but im doubting that. like wtf...

has anyone else lost a ton of money??? any advice??? shouldnt the government like...help us out in some form??? (probably a dumb and retarded question)
Most people do not even bother checking what is in their 401K, let alone the balance. The options offered are very limited and even in that, you need to check individually how your mutual fund or bond fund is weighted, and in what stocks and how risky they are etc etc.
I put everything under a microscope and check what individual holdings each fund has and how they are weighted and the prospects for those stocks. I got out of any mutual fund which had an inkling of financial or housing stocks like 3 years ago.
My 401K is still down a bit, but 85K is quite a bit. I constantly rebalance my 401K with least risky assets and safe havens. I wish my 401K would allow shorting or buying options or I would have made a killing. I do that with my IRA accts.
Unfortunately, if you are not financially savvy, you will be caught offguard with market crashes and sorry, no bailouts for 401K accts.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
That sucks. But I do think if the government can bail out corporate America, what about us? Oh wait, they didn't forget about us...we get to take it up the ass in taxes.
LOL well, you are bailing corporate America out with your taxdollars. Other way around, sorrry to say you are SOL in JWF.

·
Banned
255 Posts
gosh.. you guys are friggin loaded.. id be depressed about 85 dollars..
my post is kind of pointless but i was just saying..

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
And OP, you're just catching on to this now?
That's what I was thinking. My Dad took a big hit in the last 30 days and he's close to retirement age. Good thing he plans on dropping dead at work since retirements not his cup of tea, but trust me OP....you are not unique!

And visa, trust me, I'm not loaded and would have a tough time swallowing 85K.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
gosh.. you guys are friggin loaded.. id be depressed about 85 dollars..
my post is kind of pointless but i was just saying..
shit you read my mind, i thought i was the only one.....:ashamed

1 - 20 of 73 Posts