Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm going to post something that I've only ever told one person (Josh) because after being on this forum and getting to know you all there's something in my past that is making me feel really bad and I need to get off my chest. And yes, it has to do with fakes. I don't want flames now, and sympathy is not what I'm looking for, I just really need to get it off my chest. (I hope tha tmakes sense.)

8 years ago I was a senior in High School. I went to a very well known HS on Long Island in a very white collar area where if you didn't have the best of the best you were considered the worst of the worst. I come from a blue collar family and didn't have nearly as much money as the kids I went to school with and was constantly teased for that.

That year Kate Spade bags became really big for all the girls to carry around and gosh I wanted one really badly. We couldn't afford one though, my dad had just finished his treatments for cancer, my mom wasn't working full time, I had just gotten out of the hospital, we had a lot of medical bills from both me and my dad, and I didn't have a job because I couldn't hold one due to health reasons plus be a senior in high school.

My mom knew how badly I wanted this stupid bag and one day she came home with it and I was THRILLED. I looked at it, examined it, loved it, but on inspection I noticed the "Kate Spade" tag didn't look quite right. I pretended not to notice though and told my mom it was the best gift ever. She told me not to get too excited, it wasn't real but no one would know.

I took that bag EVERYWHERE with me knowing it was fake, especially to school. I was a poor girl in a rich kids school, where all I saw where Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Kate Spade, Chanel, BMW's, and Lexus' at every turn.

I didn't have many friends in high school, I got teased a lot, beat up and pushed around a lot and singled out for everything that I did wrong. I loved that bag more and more as every day passed because I got compliments and I felt cool. As a very depressed teen I finally felt like I fit in.

And now, I feel awful. Today I would never buy a fake and pass it off as a real one and I would never take pleasure from getting compliments on something obviously phony. After being on this forum I started thinking about what I did 8 years ago and feel horrid! Yes, it's in the past I know but I really needed to come clean about this to someone. So I chose you guys because I felt like you would be the only ones I could "confess my sins" to.

Thanks for listening!

· Registered
3,465 Posts
Don't worry Rae, it's in the past. At that point in your life you were a fragile teen, I don't think anyone is going to judge your character for that. And I doubt you knew all the reasons fakes were bad in how they are produced. :love

· Registered
1,622 Posts
Liz is right. The difference here is doing something knowingly vs. doing something ignorant of the facts. As a young, impressionable teen, I sincerely doubt that you were aware of all the politics around fakes.

I would say that if you were doing the same thing now, that would be different, but you're not.

I don't think this is ANYTHING to feel bad about. Your mom did something for you that she thought was a favour, and was probably difficult for her at the time. I say, think of that particular incident in the light it was intended. Your mom saw her baby going through a really tough time (I was pretty picked on in school too) and tried to do something to make it better.

That's what I take away from that story, anyway. Nothing to be ashamed or feel bad about.

-P

· Registered
36,826 Posts
Don't worry Rae, it's in the past. At that point in your life you were a fragile teen, I don't think anyone is going to judge your character for that. And I doubt you knew all the reasons fakes were bad in how they are produced. :love
Totally agree. The fact that you're still pondering over this several YEARS later speaks of your character. :love :love

· Registered
5,192 Posts
My mom knew how badly I wanted this stupid bag and one day she came home with it and I was THRILLED. I looked at it, examined it, loved it, but on inspection I noticed the "Kate Spade" tag didn't look quite right. I pretended not to notice though and told my mom it was the best gift ever. She told me not to get too excited, it wasn't real but no one would know.
That is SO SWEET.

Anyway, I certainly don't care that you owned a fake KS bag eight years ago. :IDK

· Registered
10,068 Posts
Rae,

I'm glad you came clean with this. The funny thing is that no one remembers or really cares about what you did or didn't do eight years ago. The only one that cared up to this point is you. The toughest critics weren't the kids you went to school with. Look in the mirror and you have met your toughest critic.

I'm glad you are giving yourself a chance to forgive yourself. I certainly don't think its a big deal but you've carried around this guilt for eight years too long.

· Denim Goddess
7,218 Posts
When I was in Middle School Guess Jeans were the big thing. Anyway the point is I had the jeans but my mom wouldn't pay $20 for the t-shirts so I wore fake guess t-shirts....at the time I really never gave it much thought and still don't....just don't want you to feel alone....I did it too!!!:love

· Registered
4,434 Posts
i think many of us wore something fake in middle school or high school not knowing about the global impacts with production of these goods.

i think your mom was really sweet for doing that for you. and i think you are just as sweet for still caring so much about something from so long ago.

you have no reason to feel bad.

· Registered
5,251 Posts
Peer pressure is a bitch, especially in HS. Trying to fit in, being cool, etc. makes us do things we regret today. I did some really stupid things in HS which I look back now and think that was totally retarded. As long as you learn from those things and don't do them anymore, then it's all good.

· Registered
23,935 Posts
Most people do not understand where the money goes when they buy a fake. I guarantee if every American knew that buying fakes sent money to terrorists, they would not buy them.

I have a couple of fake bags (Birkin and Gucci) that a friend got off Canal Street quite a few years ago, and had I known at the time the money went to terrorists, I would have saved that $25. They were both so ugly I never carried either one of them!

Knowing what I know now, I would NEVER knowingly buy something that was fake. We all need to use the knowledge we have gained from this awesome site and do what we can to stop the funding of terrorism! Spread the word, people!!

[EDIT]: I just sent an article I found on the internet to my entire email address list. I also urged people to avoid buying counterfeits during the holiday season!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.