Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I love water. I hate soda so pretty much all I do is drink water constantly. Lately though I haven't been drinking it as much so I've felt dehydrated. I've been trying to drink my "6-8 bottles of water a day" but one of my co-workers just looked at me all scornfully and said that drinking that much water actually isn't healthy for me and its flushing all the minerals out of my system. Now I have heard this argument before but is it true???

By the way, this is coming from the coworker who drinks nothing but juice and diet soda all day long and never exercises. Grrr.... :madbeating

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
actually, i think the recommended amt of water per day is 64 oz. 8 8oz glasses. i would ask her where she gets her info. drinking water is not going to flush your system of anything it needs.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I think that you are drinking an excellent amount of water. Your coworker is probably just jelouse because she can't down that amount of water on a daily basis.

It is true that you can drink too much water but only in certain circumstances. If you were drinking 8 bottles of water within 10 minutes and weren't peeing then you would have a problem.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
It's not how much you drink, it's how fast you drink it. Your body can process the amount of water you're drinking over the course of the day no problem.

What your co-worker is likely referring to is if you drink distilled water rather than mineralized water. There's the thought that drinking distilled water will leach minerals and electrolytes out of your system and that will cause your body problems in the long-term.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I heard elsewhere that you should drink half your body weight (in ounces) of water a day. That's usually what I aim for, but I don't always achieve it. Ooops!
Yep, it's half your body weight in ounces. So, if you're 120 lbs., then you drink 60 oz. I try to aim for my goal every day too, but don't always reach it. But I feel so much more hydrated now that I drink water all the time.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah the number that has been passed around is 6-8 cups, not 6-8 water bottles (which would be 12-16 cups.)

There's no definite number on it though, really. If you eat a lot of veggies and fruit, you don't need to drink as much because you get a lot of water in those, and that all counts towards your daily intake. As long as you're not thirsty and your urine is very pale or clear, that is fine. Of all the things people obsess about healthwise, I've never understood the water obsession!

I actually have no idea how much I drink because I drink out of a Nalgene bottle, which I refill at the water cooler whenever I am bored instead of waiting to empty it so I don't keep track of my intake.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol, half my body weight is like around 74-77 so that IS 6-7 12oz water bottles for me! lol :)

Whatever, I don't care what my coworker says- I love my water! :) Thanks guys for clearing up the myths!!

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Hahaha - it's funny seeing this thread as I JUST had a test over fluids today!

According to the physician (cardiologist) who taught us, it really depends on what your health status is, your activity level and stress. However, for most normal, healthy individuals, 2-3 Liters of fluid intake per day is average.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
It's not how much you drink, it's how fast you drink it. Your body can process the amount of water you're drinking over the course of the day no problem.

What your co-worker is likely referring to is if you drink distilled water rather than mineralized water. There's the thought that drinking distilled water will leach minerals and electrolytes out of your system and that will cause your body problems in the long-term.

^ what she said.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think your co-worker is referring to hyponatremia. There is such a thing as too much water. I've mostly heard of people getting this after running marathons.
In January 2007 Jennifer Strange, a woman in Sacramento, California, died following a water-drinking contest sponsored by a local radio station, Sacramento-based KDND-FM.[3]. The fact that the contest was called, "Hold your wee for a Wii" has led some to believe that not urinating is related to hyponatremia. This is untrue; this type of water intoxication is caused by excessive and rapid consumption of (sodium-free) water.

i am sorry but i saw this and i could not stop laughing

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
In January 2007 Jennifer Strange, a woman in Sacramento, California, died following a water-drinking contest sponsored by a local radio station, Sacramento-based KDND-FM.[3]. The fact that the contest was called, "Hold your wee for a Wii" has led some to believe that not urinating is related to hyponatremia. This is untrue; this type of water intoxication is caused by excessive and rapid consumption of (sodium-free) water.

i am sorry but i saw this and i could not stop laughing
I hardly see how thats funny. That woman left behind a couple of kids.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I hardly see how thats funny. That woman left behind a couple of kids.
I heard about this story too and do not think it's funny either :shake . The irresponsible DJ was fired and trialed for man slaughter or something.. I don't know what came of it.

Holding in your wee is more dangerous than drinking lots of water as you're holding in all the toxins etc.

I find it so hard to get my 2L daily intake of water and what's worse is that I drink tea which just negates all the H2O that I do drink!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
This is how people die while on Ecstasy sometimes - drinking way too much water. It's rare but there have been a few cases.

I drink like 3 litres of water a day plus juices and teas. Yikes!!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I heard about this story too and do not think it's funny either :shake . The irresponsible DJ was fired and trialed for man slaughter or something.. I don't know what came of it.

Holding in your wee is more dangerous than drinking lots of water as you're holding in all the toxins etc.

I find it so hard to get my 2L daily intake of water and what's worse is that I drink tea which just negates all the H2O that I do drink!
Actually drinking tea has benefits, especially Green Tea...don't count out tea!

The Mircale of Green Tea

1 - 20 of 34 Posts