Authentic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ill try to make this a long story short.

I hit my roommates car, 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse, what I was pulling out of my driveway (dumbass I know) I forgot that I had parked with the wheels turned so I clipped her bumper. It made a small dent and a few scratches. dent about the size of my palm and the scratches no more than 6inches.

I felt like an idiot, ive never hit anyone or anything before :jumping but I apologized and told her I would pay her cash in full to have the dent and scratches repaired. She is super sweet and was very nice, seemed understanding and we just ended it at me asking her to let me know as soon as she has the damage quoted..

:whistle

In comes pompous overprotective boyfriend who has decided to take over this transaction

He says that the dent/scratch/repair will NOT be sufficient, that any repair job will do shitty work and the paint will chip and peel within months.

Says I need to get her a new bumper for 600 bucks.. That there is no other option but an entire new bumper.

???

Thats 1/4 of the cost of her car!

I dont think that is reasonable whatsoever! What do you think I should do to be fair in this situation? Mind you we are college kids and dealing with beeter cars. I think BF is just trying to squeeze whatever he can outta me, and its really pissing me off

thoughts on how to approach this :roll

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Tell the BF to stay out of it because you gals already worked something out. Why is she letting him tell you what to do? Tell him to fuck off :D

·
Registered
36,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
^
Word. I'd tell him to fuck off, because it doesn't involve him.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Get something in writing signed by your friend as to the original conditions you girls had stipulated.

Fuck the BF. Not literally.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What Im looking for is help on what you guys think is a reasonable solution... =////

The friggin car has engine problems I mean this shit is cosmetic. I almost feel like I should just write her a check for 300 bucks and ask her to call it even. I mean its a ridiculously small amount of damage. If I were her Id leave it and spend the $$ on rent

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Methinks you already had a reasonable solution...methinks you've been perfectly reasonable the whole time.

Sounds like the boyfriend is not being reasonable. And it's difficult to be reasonable with a person who is not reasonable. Thus the chorus of "fuck him".

Reasonable solution: Deal with your roommate, not the boyfriend.

ETA: I do understand that you must be very frustrated with the boyfriend. The dude comes charging in like he's the know it all of the universe, and demands that you pay 600 dollars so she can get a new bumper. Sounds like a real pain in the ass. There is nothing compelling you to pay for the full price of the bumper in this situation when a cheaper alternative will suffice.

·
Registered
36,827 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
well what you should do is take the car to a reputable body shop and ask whether the bumper can be restored to its original condition without replacing the bumper. even if i did know about body work, there is no way i could tell you that the boyfriend is wrong in what he is saying (i don't really understand why everyone is saying he is being unreasonable, either)... because I haven't seen the damage nor have you indicated that any professional has seen the damage.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Screw the boyfriend, but is she on her parent's insurance policy? Only ask because if she is on her parent's policy, they may be the influencing factor.

Is the body of her car already in bad condition, additional dents/scratches?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A scratch and ding on a beater? I think $300 is reasonable. Is there any chance she actually wants it fixed?
THATS what I said!!

When I 1st hit it I was like oooooooh crap!. But then when I saw the damage I kind of chuckled a little inside because I thought to myself, this girl is gonnna get a hunk of cash out of me that she can spend on other stuff instead of this minor damage lol. which is horrible, but honestly very true lol.

I just got a tooth pulled on Tue so ive been here at my parents house and havent had much of a chance to converse with her about the car. All I got was txts from her BF and a comment on my facebook wall stating the assessment of damages :roll

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
If it was me, I would have DH fix it and buy him some tts pd to thank him. :rofl

Sorry for that, but seriously, you should go with her to the shop and have it quoted. If it is a rubber bumper car, which it probably is being an 01, it could be true that the costs will be higher.

When they do the repair, they will have to use flexible paint, not a standard urethane base/clear. This may cost more. It's also important to know that to re-paint even a tiny spot on a car, any auto body shop that knows there shit will know they'll have to re-paint the surrounding areas to blend the paint properly and they will charge you for that too. I know a little dent and scratch sounds like nothing, but it could cost around $400-$500 to have it fixed anyway.

But I would tell her bf to back off. You will take care of it, whatever it needs AFTER someone who is actually qualified to say gives you a quote.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright you guys gave me the extra push I needed to stand my ground.

Im still going to cover the cost of damages but Im not going to deal with BF, just her. and Im going to require a bit more shopping around if a new bumper really is required.

I just cant get over the $600 quote!!!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
alright you guys gave me the extra push I needed to stand my ground.

Im still going to cover the cost of damages but Im not going to deal with BF, just her. and Im going to require a bit more shopping around if a new bumper really is required.

I just cant get over the $600 quote!!!
lol it will cost >$600 to get a new bumper put on

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
btw. the car is not old old, but the paint sure as hell doesnt look new. SO when and if a brand new bumper is required, wouldnt that look worse than the ding and dent fixers? having a shiny new bumper and a weathered remaining exterior

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I agree with Imhotep. Take the car to a few body shops and see what they say.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts