Authentic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been dead set on getting a body wave for about 2 weeks now, and the big day is finally here. AND I'M FREAKING OUT.:eek:hno
I've had fine, lifeless hair all my life, and I've been letting it grow out for the past year or so. It used to be at my shoulders, now it's down to the bottom of my bra. Now that it's long, there's just so much more weight pulling it down, thus making it more flat.
So around 12 today I will hopefully be taking the plunge and getting it done. I really hope I don't look like a poodle.
Anyone here have experience getting body waves?

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I'm scared for you! I hate having my hair done because I don't trust sylists (no offense stylists). I've had my hair ruined countless times & since I've moved to a new place I haven't had my hair done at all. I'm terrified of what they might do.
I have natural curl so I'm no help on the perm but I'm sure you'll look beautiful!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
^ that's awesome. I wish I had never started coloring my hair. I have a pretty natural color & about 6 years ago I colored it for the first time and it shocked it. Therefor, my hair was ruined for the next 2 years. He was supposed to be this renound hair guy in SLC & he sucked ass.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
don't worry!! i'm sure it will be fine.
besides, you can always just get a flat iron if you don't like the results!! lol

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
I had something like that done once to my naturally already curly hair and it fried the crap out of it.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
^I also had my hair fried. It took at least a year for it to be normal. It was shit for months.:( And all I wanted was a bit of wave to my stick straight hair.

I'm sure you've had it done by now, so let us know how it went! I'm crossing my fingers that you had better luck than me.:D

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I got it done Tuesday. She used the 2 largest perm rods they had, and it was medium spirals when they took it out. She didn't dry it, and when I left I thought it would stay that curly. WRONG. By Tuesday evening it was my normal hair with a little wave to it. Yesterday I took a curling iron to it, and the curls fell out like they used to. So last night and today my hair has looked exactly like it used to before the body wave. I'm going to wash it later today and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Okay so I got it done Tuesday. She used the 2 largest perm rods they had, and it was medium spirals when they took it out. She didn't dry it, and when I left I thought it would stay that curly. WRONG. By Tuesday evening it was my normal hair with a little wave to it.
That happens sometimes when the stylist don't put the product enough time or the product is not the right for your hair!!!, this happened to me one time, the stylist repeated the process (in my case the product was expired!!:eek:) and the second time worked fine.

Don't be scared, the new perm products are very soft, I don't think your hair will be damaged if you repeat the process.

Good luck:blink

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You sound like me. I got a body wave when I was 16. It was the first thing that was ever done to my hair, aside from bleaching parts of it myself to put in manic panic. Anyway, it went well.

I don't think you should have taken a curling iron to it but as you said they left before you did that. Mine honestly, didn't last that long. I was told it should last until it grows out. Mine was wavy and fuller for a few months, maybe three. Then it started to slowly disappear. I'd say all in all it lasted about a year if that. I did like it though I wish it lasted longer. I should give it another try.

I think Deketa hit the nail on the head. That's probably exactly what happened.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Were you put under heat? Just trying to figure out what type of perm was used.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
how long did the whole process take? When i got my body wave, the process took 4 hours. I had waves for 6 months

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Were you put under heat? Just trying to figure out what type of perm was used.
No I wasn't put under heat. And I really don't know what kind of perm was used.

how long did the whole process take? When i got my body wave, the process took 4 hours. I had waves for 6 months
It took maybe 3 hours?

I washed it last night, and when I took it out of the towel the waves had returned! I tried blowing it straight with a brush, which left it frizzy on the ends and mostly straight. Then I took a 3/4'' curling iron to it, ran my fingers through it to loosen it up, and I had big, loose, perfect curls! And they actually lasted ALL night! Normally curls fall out before I even get to my destination.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
eek, i wouldn't use a brush on a perm... you're supposed to use a pick right?
when I was younger... like really young (12-14) i used to get them all the time and brushing just makes FRIZZ and ruins it.

i'm glad your curls lasted this time! you should post pics!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts