Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend just got a laptop and both of us have never had one before. I'm trying to set-up with Time Warner on-line, but am not sure if I'm picking the right options. It offers a cable modem and wireless router (which we need to connect to PS3) - I need both correct? And will this plug into a laptop just like a desktop? Help! I'm clueless. :(

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
That depends on whether you want a wired connection or wireless connection. If you want a wired connection, you don't need a wireless router (hardly anyone with a laptop will pick this option)
If you need a wireless connection, then you need to connect you modem to the WWAN port on your wireless router and connect your laptop to configure the router settings. Once you have done that, then you do not need any wired connection to connect to your network.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure I understand. :( I need a wireless connection for my playstation to connect to, so I'm pretty much required to have both, right? Or am I getting this wrong? haha

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
If you need wireless connection for your laptop or PS3 or any other device that utilizes a wireless connection, then you definitely need a Wireless router along with the modem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts