Authentic Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip with the family next June. I see a few of you have been (Mike, I am looking for your pictures!) so I wanted some info.

Where should we stay? (Me, husband, 2 kids + Mom-in-law)

We are planning to go to Vegas for two nights AFTER this trip; Flying into Pheonix for 2 nights, then Sedona for 2, should we stay 2 nights in the Park? It seems some hotels are sold out already because people book a year in advance and what is left is more like "motels." Sadly, I will admit to being kind of a hotel snob.

Looking at the Western Rim because of the skywalk, but what else is there to do, like a DO NOT MISS situation?

Thank you to anyone who can help me! :)

·
Denim Goddess
14,606 Posts
When I went, we went camping :jumping so can't help you on anything.. but I don't think a 2 night stay is necessary. It's pretty much all the same stuff and it'll get boring fast, especially for the kids.. but I guess it depends on how interactive you want to be I guess but with 2 kids and a MIL, you might want to stick to more of the sightseeing, I'm guessing? if so, a 2 night stay is just going to make it boring.. all imo of course :p

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
We went last June. We stayed in Williams, AZ which is about 30 mins from the South Rim. The hotel we stayed at was called the Quality Inn Ranch & Resort. It's kinda old, but had a rustic feel with teepees and horseback riding. We brought our dog too so it's pet friendly. That skywalk thing is pretty expensive. It's on reservation land so you have to pay to enter & for the skywalk. We merely went to the South Rim viewing points & walked around. So amazing though! Looked almost fake to me, like a painting!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I have pretty much been everywhere in & around the Grand Canyon. I love the north & south rims. You'll go to the north rim from Sedona. I would stay in Sedona. Its extremely over priced but what is so cool about staying a regular hotel like Hampton Inn?

There's a villa on your way out of Sedona that's so cute. I don't know the name sorry. You definitely need to go see Jerome. Its about 20 miles from Sedona. Its an old mining town atop the hill. They also have an awesome hotel right at the top. I've never stayed there but we will nexty time around. (We go on a Harely trip there every April)

Oatman is super cool. I don't know if that would be on your way from Phoenix-probably not but its an old mining town that has beome a biker town. There are wild ass all over the place. Very awesome.

You probably won't be going this way either but coming out of the north rim towards Utah is a town called Cameron. The restaurant has THE BEST food in the world. Its Navajo Indian ran and their navajo fry bread is seriously tdf. They also have an amazing little hotel that you would never think was there. Its so cute & clean. Also, the jewelry/gift store is one of the best.

The coolest thing in the world though is hiking Havasupai. You hike down into the Grand Canyon and camp at the bottom. There are waterfalls everywhere & the Colorado River right there. The hike out is a killer so you have to be in shape. They will helicopter your backpacks in & out if you'd like. The experience is unforgettable. Its beautiful!

There's so much. I could go on forever. Prescott is great too. That's like an hour from Sedona. Maybe you'll go through there. Scottsdale has great shopping. Flagstaff is awesome......

ETA: The "motels" are the best. They are way cooler than the "hotels." This, I promise you!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
^^I really liked Flagstaff a lot.

Make sure you see the Grand Canyon movie before actually going to the Canyon. The Imax is just a few minutes away and the kids will probably love it.

There is that resort in Sedona where all those people died in the tents recently. Perhaps you could book a room there because it may be cheaper now. :(

Also, isn't the Sky Walk several hundred miles away from the AZ side? I can't remember.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
^I never heard about the deaths. What was it?

Also I think the skywalk is way far away. I've never been there & never will. I'm so afraid of heights!!

·
Premium Member
26,102 Posts
I have only been to the North Rim 5 times. Usually camp out in a "secret" spot off a side road in the middle of the woods before you enter the park. However that is not for everyone :rofl . We actually camped out off the side of the main road 1 time when we were coming in at night and it was midnight and we could no longer drive.

Only stayed at 1 motel about 20 miles north of the entrance in Jacob Lake. Just because it was raining. Got the place last minute and surprisingly only $60~. Considering it was August I would say that is a miracle!

I usually do the Roaring Falls hike for 1 of the days I am there. Beautiful but strenuous for novices. Definitely need to be in shape and also know when to hike. Start your hike early in the morning so that you time it so you arrive down in the canyon before it gets super hot. Hiking in the middle of the day is a nightmare and even people in good shape will not fare well.

There are also numerous hikes around the rim. All of which are amazing and afford you great views of the canyon from above. South rim is probably similar to the North rim in this aspect. Keep in mind you will be at a higher elevation so you might have some trouble getting used to the oxygen levels, specially if you live in a much lower elevation.

As for the skywalk, I have never been. Unless you are really set on that personally I would pass. I know people who did go and they were not impressed. At $30 for adults and $22 for kids it might be money better spent on something else.

Also I agree w/ Carol that 2 days could be boring for the kids - which also might prevent you from hiking to far down into the canyon since they may get tired since it is a difficult hike up and down.

Another thing just IMO, not sure what you have planned for Phoenix but if you choose to go to the North Rim you could always spend 1 day there and then drive up to Zion and Bryce Canyons in Utah ... but srsly don't let me talk you into that. :rofl I love Zion so I will try to talk anyone and everyone into going there!!!:love Also not far out of Vegas (and some what on the way to the N. Rim) is the Hoover Dam (kind of lame) and Lake Mead which is spectacular. Also I feel that Zion has a lot more stuff that kids could do and enjoy. The hikes are not as difficult and you can see some breath taking stuff with out as much effort. Bryce is very unique and not to far from Zion. Its usually pretty hot when I go so I spend about 1/2 a day. I usually hit up a waterfall that is outside of Bryce and just chill out there for part of the day.

·
Denim Goddess
14,606 Posts
Another thing just IMO, not sure what you have planned for Phoenix but if you choose to go to the North Rim you could always spend 1 day there and then drive up to Zion and Bryce Canyons in Utah ... but srsly don't let me talk you into that. :rofl I love Zion so I will try to talk anyone and everyone into going there!!!:love Also not far out of Vegas (and some what on the way to the N. Rim) is the Hoover Dam (kind of lame) and Lake Mead which is spectacular. Also I feel that Zion has a lot more stuff that kids could do and enjoy. The hikes are not as difficult and you can see some breath taking stuff with out as much effort. Bryce is very unique and not to far from Zion. Its usually pretty hot when I go so I spend about 1/2 a day. I usually hit up a waterfall that is outside of Bryce and just chill out there for part of the day.
I actually did this whole trip that you just described with the fam :)

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Agreed Mike!
I was so spoiled. I ditched school all the time to go hike in Zions. It was only 30 minutes away.
I like Zions so much better than Bryce. yeah, I would shorten your stay in Phoenix & go to Utah like Mike said!

·
Premium Member
26,102 Posts
Agreed Mike!
I was so spoiled. I ditched school all the time to go hike in Zions. It was only 30 minutes away.
I like Zions so much better than Bryce. yeah, I would shorten your stay in Phoenix & go to Utah like Mike said!
you are so lucky!!!! I would have been living in the park every summer if I grew up in that area!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
^thats terrible. How sad. Thanks for the answer.

Sedonians are really into rocks & stuff. Sedona is said to be a power point of the earth. There are a lot of eccentric people there.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
^thats terrible. How sad. Thanks for the answer.

Sedonians are really into rocks & stuff. Sedona is said to be a power point of the earth. There are a lot of eccentric people there.
I love Sedona! We took that drive from Sedona through what I think is called Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. It was so pretty. I like AZ because I always have good hair days there.:rofl Not like here in NC with all the humidity.:(

We want to do Utah next.:magwink I really need to get some hiking experience first though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts