Authentic Jeans Forums banner

Graduation

2K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  buddha 
#1 ·
Perhaps some of you can enlighten me from personal experience or know people who may have graduated earlier than the average "4 year university."

Keeping in mind of the current circumstances in the U.S. economy, is there an advantage of graduating early? (3 years vs 4 years, and some may point out that there is not a big difference unless it was 2 years vs 4 years, why?).

I do plan on graduate school as well, but as a business major, I will real work experience under my belt before applying.

What type of advantages in graduating early would I benefit regarding work opportunities? Opportunities in general?

More so, I was planning on studying abroad, but due to financial hardship and the possibility of hindering an early graduation date, EAP in HK may be postponed.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
I graduate one year early because of AP credits I took in high school.

The positive was that I started work one year early and while my friends were still going to dive bars I was getting paid.

When we apply for MBA I will have one extra year of work experience.

However I think the "college experience" involved in club activities, networking, internships are much harder when you are not graduating with your normal class. But harder is not impossible.

I guess the bottom line is, is there an advantage to just blowing through school as quick as possible for the hell of it? no.

But if you can take for advantage of the whole experience but through the cutting back of going out 5 days a week you are able to graduate a year early, i so go for it.

#4 · (Edited)
I have nothing really useful to say, but...

I could've graduated from UC Berkeley early because my major (Mass Comm) didn't have a ton of requirements, but I chose not to plan things out that way (but the cost wasn't an issue). I pursued my Portuguese minor and finished that before my last semester. This past spring, I only took two classes, but I used the extra time to pick up another internship that has strengthened my professional network and my resume for grad school (Sport Management). I graduated in four years with most of my friends.

I have a few friends who graduated one year or one semester early. Advantages: one started work for Lockheed Martin right away, another started working at a clinic to boost his med school apps, they all saved money (either for themselves or for their parents). The one who works for Lockheed had no real reason for finishing her engineering degree in three years plus two summers of summer sessions.

I think besides financial reasons, you have to look at if you can get everything you want out of college with graduating early. There are certain opportunities that you may not have later like EAP.

#5 ·
Entering college, I never truly considered the thought of graduating early. I joked at it, merely of the novelty of graduating college at being no more than 20 years old...But really, college (at college age) is once in a life time. Once you graduate, you have the rest of your life to do whatever you attempt to do. Starting work early, yeah, sure. But you can always make money. If you really do want/need that year of experience of work before heading to graduate school...take a year off. I see leaving college early as missing opportunities, while I see staying in college for the full time (or longer than the standard five years), is postponing the grind. College, in essence, is delayed gratification anyways.

Oh, of course, money spent to go to college is an issue, especially since you're planning on probably going more in debt with graduate school. You're gonna be working most of your life making money already.

#6 ·
Another thing to think about with the current economy is what the job market will be like when you graduate, whether it's in three years or four. I'd assume that now isn't a great time to be graduating and looking for a job, but if there's a boom then you might want to graduate and be out looking for a job. Just my $0.02.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input.

In my 3rd year, I am beginning to think about life after college.

At the same time, speaking with a TA, I am highly considering in double majoring in some sort of science field. Biology or chemistry? A little a late perhaps, and really difficult to play catch up....but I'm considering the long run benefits of a dual degree in BUS and BIO/CHEM hmmmmmm

So much to think about!

#10 · (Edited)
I'm in my 3rd year in Uni (Business Major - double concentration MIS and IB). Last year I decided I'm going to do Co-op, which takes a year out of my 4-year schedule. However, I'm still graduating on time, so basically I'm doing a 5-year program in 4 years... yay! I don't plan on getting my masters though... It's about time to think about life after Uni though, so you're right on track (like me :D)!

I know a lot of my friends are just taking it slow, doing it at their own pace. Same age as me, same time in Uni, but they have HALF the credits that I have so technically they're still in 2nd year... It's their choice but I think it's kind of stupid for people to stay in Uni for 6 years just for an Undergraduate degree.

Usually people in Business also major in Econ or Communications ;)

ETA: I also need to do Co-op to pay off my Student Loans after Uni ends :( So... I get experience AND pay off my debt. BOOYA :)

#17 ·
I enjoy writing/researching, as well as some math on the side.

I was considering a concentration in finance with some marketing on the side. Of course, I will be applying for a MBA program.w

However, if I finished my undergraduate degree in business in 3 years, and perhaps another degree in biology/chemistry in 1.5 years, I'll have more options as far as careers. IMO, the medical field seems more stable though as far as a jobs goes.

I'll have to ask my TA how he likes his MBA program/job. Need some more confidents in the business field.

#18 ·
Why are you so intent on MBA...I'm doing a MBA because I need to to make the jump from equity research to banking. Why are you? And to put three letters after your name is not a good response.

From what you described you might do well in equity research. If that is the case I would recommend really honing your accounting skills to better understand modeling. And take as many elective finance classes even if they are not required.

Do you want to go for med school? If so go for the bio, or just take some classes and study for the MCATs.

Again I think you really need to think about what specific job you want to do, then do some research on what is needed to do well in that field. eg certifications, course work etc.

#19 ·
My drive right now is work after school.

So, a MBA would bring forth more job opportunities in general (Or you can tell me if I 'm wrong).

On the other hand, a degree in bio along with med school will be "easier" in terms of finishing one thing after another, then working.

Of course, in terms of course work, a class in biology will more difficult. However, the career path will be more stable than bouncing around with different companies.

BTW, with a MBA, the "dream" is working with a fortune 500 company, advising with control and decision making, and on the side, making investments. Another interest is becoming an investor in small, growing companies, like an entrepreneur.

#21 ·
No a MBA makes it harder.

Even assuming you are a genius and you get accepted to a top 10 MBA without work experience (which is usually 2 in a graduating class)

What investment shop is going to pay you $160k a yr for some immature 24yo with no experience.

But when you apply for a the major junior pre-mba associate roles people are going to automatically assume you are not interested.

If you want to work in the corporate ladder, I suggest bolstering everything else. ECA, club officers, internships, co-ops, you can get into a corporate finance department at a fortune 500. Work there for 5 years. hopefully get promoted in a middle manager role. Apply for a top 10 B-school.

At which point you can think about investment industry (if you so desire at that juncture) or work up to the controller/treasurer/cfo career path.

#20 ·
I agree with Budda - take as many accounting classes as you can. When I first started with Georgia-Pacific I learned the business from the inside out by starting with the accounting dept.

Also, I don't believe you NEED an MBA unless its position-specific (as in Buddha's case). Just to "have" an MBA will get you no where. And, um, most MBA programs (unless they are the 5 year programs that are Bachelors + MBA) don't really want you unless you have been working a few years. As it should be - you have no practical application of business principals if you've only been a realm of academia for 4 years.

#23 ·
I understand that I have to work a couple years before actually applying for B-school.

But those years in work or even getting into the "correct" career path will be difficult especially with current economic situations, which is why I was considering falling back into med school ("easy way out").

Anyways, all I really have riding for me current is my GPA. omg

#25 ·
i graduated in 3 years with a BS in business. i am not much of a school person, so i was happy to be out in the real world with a real salary.

my personal view is that a "good" finance job is a lot harder to find than a good accounting job. if you want to do finance, double concentrating in accounting might be helpful, esp. in the tough job market these days and/or if your GPA is not stellar. accounting is a good backup job, and you can work in accounting for a year and then move into finance pretty easily if that is where your heart is set.

#30 · (Edited)
Well, that shows you how little I know. :rofl

"Easy way out" as a more stable path.

Generally, I perceive someone who is getting into med school as:
undergrad/work part-time at a communal hospital/internship -> MCAT -> Med School -> another 4-5 years residency -> etc. etc.

It is like already setup for you to complete each part of the career path.

If you read carefully, I mention that the "work" on the other hand is probably more difficult.

To be clear, you guys took my words for another meaning. ha

#35 ·
I wold never.

I guess people still take my "easy way out" totally different. Whatever, probably more because of how I am perceived on this forum rather than what I really have to say.

When did you graduate Sammy? I would like to think that now it is more competitive than years ago.

I mean, just take my friend for instance who has an older brother in the same major. Like he said, if he was only 1-2 years older, he would be cruising through undergrad as a science major instead of putting up with professors NOW who weed out 80% of the class.

I like to think that before, a student in college knew more about what he was studying, then came grades. Nowadays, the material learned in class is so subjective and students are actually trying to earn a high GPA rather than knowing what they learn. Time has changed. So to think that graduates nowadays can get into a competitive program and career by just maintaining a good GPA is ridiculous.

#32 ·
Wow, are there these many tricks and tips to graduating from a business school or law school? Club activities and associations are needed to get a job out of business school?
Sounds pretty heavy LOL

I remember, when I got out of grad school, they had so many open positions and so few available candidates. All you have to do is sign up for an interview and most people I graduated with had 2 or 3 offers(I had 3 myself...no real work experience) and they got to pick and choose.

And why does everyone want to go to either business school or law school? Don't we have a glut of these degrees already?

And whoever said Med school is 'easy way out' is dreaming lol

#33 ·
^
Yep, the right lacrosse team, teammate will get you a much better job than the right course work.

And the oversized shirts will the sleeves rolled up and wrinkled khaki (that are common place amongst some professions:whistle) would be an automatic nail in the coffin.

#34 ·
^^ Lacrosse teams and pretty boy looks. Hmmm, sounds very complicated :rofl

Who wears wrinkled khakis and oversized shirts? I dunno about other professions but Khakis are too dressy at my workplace :rofl Usually jeans and tees or shorts &tees. We sometimes have people coming in to interview fresh out of college, dressed in a suit and tie and look completely out of place when the guys interviewing him are in shorts and sandals.:rofl I have seen people in boardshorts and swim trunks at work.

Have you seen the interview with that girl who was the first employee at Google? She was out of Stanford business school and she went for interview for this alleged 'start up' where her interviewers (out of Stanford Engg school) came 30 min late, disheveled looking in shorts and tees and sandals in Stanford cafeteria? She said she was completely shocked and also if she had made a judgemental call on them to not work for them, she would not be worth hundreds of millions today.

#37 ·
Not any job. A job that will act as a catalyst to my "dream job."

My GPA is well above 3.5 (cumlative and toward my degree)
I am considering EAP for more experience outside the U.S.

But that is beside the point. I take GPA as a joke. I honestly do not think it means much other than looking for an "okay job." Which is why I am considering double majoring so to boost my transcript.

#39 ·
i honestly think getting a job anywhere is more about your personality and connections than your GPA.

if you're currently in your 3rd year, i wouldn't recommend that you graduate this spring. recruitment has already started, and seems that you are not even sure what specific job you are looking for. my personal opinion is that double majoring in a science field now will not be very beneficial career-wise if you know you want to be a business person in the end.

#40 ·
I have to say that the textbook Fundamentals of Corporat Finance by Brealey, Myers, and Marcus has put me back on track toward business in finance. "I-Banking" and "Money Management," or perhaps controller(CPA)/treasurer/CFO.
Combining that with the "ethics department"/HR and marketing.

Law abiding and building relations while creating value! wowza

#41 ·
^
This is what I'm talking about.

The skill set/and resume lines needed for a career in...

Coporate finance/CEO
vs
Controller/Treasurer/CFO
vs
IBanker
vs
Money Mgmt

are entirely different.

Pick one and work towards it.

PS I hate that book. What edition are you on these days? I still have 4th edition on the bookshelf here in my office.

#45 ·
Same ed. the one with the clouds?

And I never said I am "anti-accounting."

There's more to just crunching numbers is what I mean. Through accounting, I hope to accomplish more in terms of decision making/analysis--working with numbers AND words/communication.

Venture capitalist? Yeah....long way to go. I do not even have a savings account yet. You're right about that ;)

#44 ·
not trying to be a hater, but you def. need a reality check! it baffles me how you can say that you are anti-accounting because of "bad stories," yet a few posts later say you're interested in i-banking. :confused:

if you're interested in a controller or CFO position, public accounting (audit) is the traditional way (not the only way) to go.

lastly, based on what you've posted about yourself thus far, i highly doubt you are anywhere near the path of becoming a venture capitalist (investor in small growing companies).

#46 ·
nope mine has a picture of the grand canyon, it was from 2003.

And I understand that you want to do more than just crunch numbers but think about the career paths.

I have worked on both the buyside and the sell side. At a bulge bracket and at a mutual fund. And believe me as the associate you will do a lot of number crunching regardless. This is just as much the case with banking.

Out of the careers in finance, I would suggest Instituional sales or Investor Relations careers given what you said (and what I gather from reading your posts).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.