Authentic Jeans Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to ditch my LG dare and get an iphone, but I just renewed my 2 yr contract. I heard somewhere that if you connect it to your computer and use it as a modem (one of its features), then download a bunch of .torrents or other big files, the provider will normally deactivate your service for an undetermined amount of time, which is rarely mentioned in the contract. Any truth to this or other ways to weasle out of a contract, or should I just suck it up and pay the $300?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If you download a bunch of stuff, you never know what random data charges you'll get slammed with, even if you're just using it as a modem - cell phone companies are sneaky like that. If you really want out, pay the $300, but I'd say just stick it out for a while until the buyout gets smaller.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I would just suck it up. Why is your termination price $300. I thought it was $175/line? I have Verizon too and I have been thinking about getting the Iphone for months. My contract has expired so I'm month to month and I think I still have to pay the stupid termination fee.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
^^If your contract expired, then you do not have to pay any termination fee..

And to the OP, I think you are stuck unless you can convince them their service sucks and get out of it. That download idea to terminate your contract seems a little out of whack..You may get slapped with extra fees.

·
Drunk Friend
11,408 Posts
I would just suck it up. Why is your termination price $300. I thought it was $175/line? I have Verizon too and I have been thinking about getting the Iphone for months. My contract has expired so I'm month to month and I think I still have to pay the stupid termination fee.
uh, no you don't

·
Registered
15,014 Posts
Well I think you should just pay it, depending on your plan wouldnt you pay 300 over 2-3 months anyway in service charges. Plus you can sell your phone on ebay and make back some money towards that ETF. Verizon ETF is also prorated based on your remainder months. :) hope this helps! good luck

·
Registered
457 Posts
sell that shit and get you boost mobile!! WHERE YOU AT?!?

on a more serious note, if you already have the iphone and can afford the early termination fee, you might as well just get it over with before you end up having to pay for another month with verizon.

·
Registered
811 Posts
A couple years ago Cingular tried to cancel my contract because I was making too many calls from outside the network. If you can find an area where you're roaming and make a bunch of calls that might take care of it.

Also, I've heard that you can get out of your contract if you claim that you don't get a good signal at your home or have a lot of dropped calls at home. Obviously, if you live in the middle of town they aren't gonna buy that.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
I have T-mobile and I couldn't get out of my contract for anything. I don't get service anymore at home. My sidekick constantly drops calls. It's constantly No service. I hate the sidekick. I wish I didn't break my razer phone. Plus it echos and no one can hear me good. Tomobile basically said of well. We should be getting more towers in that area really soon... It's been almost 2 years now. YAY for getting out soon!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts

·
Banned
3,407 Posts
$175 prorated for verizon an At&T.

Also I have heard of many people who have complained to customer service that they don't get service in the primary place of residence, and gotten out of their contract with no charge.

·
Banned
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It is $175/line, but I have two phones I'd need to cancel, I keep one here and one in another house. I'll just pay it then, not worth the headache of arguing with the indian customer service representatives. I don't think complaining about my service would work since I've lived in the same place ever since I got verizon 8 years ago, plus there are other lines on the plan that aren't mine that wouldnt be cancelling

·
Registered
217 Posts
It might be mentioned in the WikiHow but there is a website out there where people "exchange" contracts. Your cell phone company doesn't care that you in particular are leaving - they care that they're losing a customer. This website (google search for it.. I can't remember the name) lets you post your contract and search for people who have the contract you want. Basically, you inform your provider that you found someone who will switch with you ... apparently it works.

Here's something that might help -

Transfer Your Cell Phone Contract to Avoid Paying Fees | Cash Money Life

·
Banned
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That work work if there werent other family members on my same shared plan

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It is $175/line, but I have two phones I'd need to cancel, I keep one here and one in another house. I'll just pay it then, not worth the headache of arguing with the indian customer service representatives. I don't think complaining about my service would work since I've lived in the same place ever since I got verizon 8 years ago, plus there are other lines on the plan that aren't mine that wouldnt be cancelling
I've lived in the same house for almost 2 years now, and when we moved in I had perfect reception everywhere, and could even get good reception in the basement. Within the last few months, I've started dropping calls, even on the ground floor, and my reception in the basement is minimal. I don't know if a tower was taken down nearby or what, but it sucks. Point being, just b/c you've lived there a long time doesn't mean your reception won't change, if you try to go that route.

·
Banned
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think complaining about my service would work since I've lived in the same place ever since I got verizon 8 years ago, plus there are other lines on the plan that aren't mine that wouldnt be canceling
^

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've seen some cell phone dealers advertise that they'll pay for your cancellation fees if you start a plan with them. I don't know how common they are but if you ask around and can find one, it's worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts