Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some superficial acne scars as my dermatologist put it on my face & he recommended Fraxel for treatment. Has anyone here done it? I'd love to hear your thoughts / experiences on it.

These before and after pics look pretty good:
Fraxel Laser Treatment

None of them look worse after the treatment. ;score He offered to let me get a test section of my face done. I think I'll do it.

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
I'm going to be doing some research on this but there are other lasers that treat acne also.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I asked about the other ones like CO2 (he said too extreme for me) & smoothbeam (he said that one treats the deeper acne scars, not my superficial ones). His website is laserskin.com.

I have to decide by Monday. So far I have been reading reviews on the internet. I'm not going to get my whole face treated, just the temple area.

He also gave me some Taz samples and will call in a prescription if that stuff agrees with me. Right now I use Retin A.

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
If i could see your scars i could tell you better what would be good for you. Smoothbeam is a great laser(i love candella lasers obviously)but ask he can treat you with a non ablative laser first. Fraxel is sort of a combo of both ablative and non. Non ablative is a lot safer with not a lot of down time.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
you have some superficial scars and he recommends Fraxel???!! I'd get a 2nd opinion from someone who doesn't make a buck with laser. Or send Char a pic.
Seriously, for regular superficial scars a little patience, great sunscreen during the day, a c serum underneath, and Taz or retin-A in Pm totally should do it.

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
I agree with Jenn. There are less evasive ways to get rid of those scars and by what i can tell in the pics you sent me they arent bad at all. Did he suggest microderm abrasion or a chemical peel?

OT I am getting a microderm abrasion machine. I talked to Tigistylist about it and i decided that its totally worth it. YAY

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you're only looking to spot treat old (completely healed, non-discolored) ice pick or rolling/boxcar scars, would you be interested in an injectable, like Restylane (or a thinner more highly cross linked HA injectable like Juvederm) to float the depressions? Then, continuing with the topical retinoid. It might be more economical in the long run, and studies out of the dermatology department of the University of Michigan suggest that injectables do actually stimulate the body's natural ability to produce collagen, by stretching fibrolasts. Hence the longer lasting augmentation results people tend to achieve with subsequent treatments.

Half a vial of resty runs around $250. If you only have a few scars to treat it won't even require a full .4 cc. I had a line filled a year and a half ago, at the corner of my mouth...it never returned. Fraxel typically requires about 3-5 treatments to see the desired results.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have done microderm and chemical peels and have noticed the scars smoothing out after about a year. I guess I am impatient though.....

Alright, here's the pic. Let me know what you guys think. The test spot will be $100.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
If that's it, I'd give the retinoid time to change the skin structure first (it takes about nine months) while using c serum topped with high PPD sunscreen in AM. I can understand that you're impatient, but those scars are hardly visible if it weren't for the light.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
I agree with Jenn. There are less evasive ways to get rid of those scars and by what i can tell in the pics you sent me they arent bad at all. Did he suggest microderm abrasion or a chemical peel?

OT I am getting a microderm abrasion machine. I talked to Tigistylist about it and i decided that its totally worth it. YAY
I totally agree!!

Charla, that's great! Hope you have tons of customers! :flowers

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks you guys for the opinions. :) I really appreciate it.

I am still mulling it over.

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
Where in TX are you damaris? If you are in Austin i could refer you to someone.

·
Denim Goddess
6,725 Posts
I have depressing scars too and wondered about treatments like lasers and Fraxel. But, if injectables are cheaper and do the job then I would much rather go that route.

Does your Derm do injectables or does a Cosmetic Surgeon?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe he does it all & has been using lasers for the past 20 years. That's why I go there and why I got his opinion on my face. :)

His aestheticians are required to perform all the treatments on themselves so they have first hand knowledge of them all, in addition to going conferences so they are up-to-date on all the new technology. I really like it there.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it done today and it wasn't bad at all. Had to have the numbing cream on my face 1 hour prior to treatment and then the treatment took 10 minutes. It felt like needles were being stuck into my skin, but it was over pretty quickly. I hope it agrees with me :eek:hno.

Right now the treated skin has a blush color to it. The swelling appears to have gone down about 4 hours after treatment.

·
Premium Member
10,278 Posts
Got it done today and it wasn't bad at all. Had to have the numbing cream on my face 1 hour prior to treatment and then the treatment took 10 minutes. It felt like needles were being stuck into my skin, but it was over pretty quickly. I hope it agrees with me :eek:hno.

Right now the treated skin has a blush color to it. The swelling appears to have gone down about 4 hours after treatment.
If you get any little red bumps rub some Aquaphor on it and they will go away in a day or so. I'm excited for you, let us know if you see a difference when the swelling goes down.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, it has been about 6 months now and I think I am going to go back and get more done. The first treatment didn't harm my face and they say it takes about 3-4 treatments to see results, so I may as well go for it. The dermatologist is booked up until June (they only do Fraxel once a month), so I'll have to wait and get an appointment then.

I waited so long cause there was some residual discoloration. They say the redness should go away in 1-2 weeks, but for me I could still see it faintly a couple of months afterwards. I'm very conservative. At this rate, it's going to take 2 years to get in the 4 treatments. :rofl

1 - 20 of 62 Posts