Authentic Jeans Forums banner

Flares or Bootcuts - which style is better for petites?

• Stick with Bootcut (SFAM Sigs/Flynts, COH Kellys)

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • Get more Flares (SFAM As, COH Ingrids)

Votes: 9 27.3%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm petite with short inseam (unlike Pam with her perfect long legs :magwink). According to some online sources, flared jeans are supposed to be elongating. BUT bootcuts are more slimming so don't they make your legs look longer? As you can see, I'm :confused: Thoughts?

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^ You're fast :) I see what you're saying, after hemming most of my flares do end up with 8.5" or less leg opening EXCEPT for a few with 9-9.5". I'm not sure if I should keep those as is or have them taken in :IDK

· Registered
8,706 Posts
Hmm I don't know. :IDK I'm pretty short too (I take about a 30" inseam with shoes) and I find that it doesn't really make a difference the style I wear, as long as the jeans are fitting throughout the thigh.

Actually on second thought, I think flares (not huge ones) are more elongating on me. But that might be because my bootcuts tend to not fit me well around the knee area.....I think? Man I just confused myself.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is your inseam? My wife is really short and she buys flares which becomes bootcuts cause she is 5' tall.
I can do up to 29.5". I usually stick with bootcuts but some flares (with slimmer thighs) fit me better. I guess I started this poll b/c I have some hemmed Ingrids with 9.5" leg opening! Not sure if I can pull them off.

Diesels are not on your list. I am saddened. :shake
Sorry Mike, I don't own any :hide I should visit your section and find me a pair huh? :love I left out TRs too! I'm tired, I should be sleeping right now!

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm I don't know. :IDK I'm pretty short too (I take about a 30" inseam with shoes) and I find that it doesn't really make a difference the style I wear, as long as the jeans are fitting throughout the thigh.

Actually on second thought, I think flares (not huge ones) are more elongating on me. But that might be because my bootcuts tend to not fit me well around the knee area.....I think? Man I just confused myself.
I think I get it... you're saying that as long as they fit well throughout from the thigh down, the actual opening doesn't really matter?

· Registered
8,706 Posts
I think I get it... you're saying that as long as they fit well throughout from the thigh down, the actual opening doesn't really matter?
:thumbsup:thumbsup hahahah thanks for explaining that back to me :D I get it too now. :twitch

Now that I think about it, I think my bootcut jeans are more elongating...lemme go compare pictures.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ lol, your legs look LONG in pics, I'm surprised you need shorter inseams too :magwink I guess I'm trying to avoid having to take my hemmed and ready to wear Ingrids to the tailor but .. realistically 9.5" is probably too wide for my figure..

· Registered
4,453 Posts
I think I look better in Ingrids than Kellys...but I also love my SFAM bootcuts and I think they make my legs look pretty good. My inseams are generally between 29" and 31" (the longest).

· Registered
6,714 Posts
I am of average height (5'6.5") and can wear either flares or bootcuts! I guess I am lucky; however, dojos are NOT on the list. They look like SHYTE on me and they don't fit in the booty area. Now explain that to me, please.

· Registered
2,363 Posts
well I am a fellow shorty too :) 29.5 - 30 inseam
have to take up every single one of my hems :mad:
so I don't see much of a difference between bootcut or flare
I do NOT however like what they call a slim bootcut, to me this is just about the same as a straight leg.

My all time favourites is not on the list :cry
True Religion Joey 1st :love:love:love
True Religion Bobby 2nd :love:love
Rock N Republic Madrid cut (and the others which are the same but different name, Kiedis I think?) :love

· Registered
762 Posts
The only jeans I have had to hem is R&R so I have a pretty long inseam with shoes. I still think bootcuts are more flattering on me than flares so my final answer is that I believe body type has a lot to do with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.