Authentic Jeans Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used plain old Dove on my face since I was little but I got a free sample of some sort of Neutrogena Grapefruit scrub with gritty stuff in it. My face feels cleaner afterwards than just with the plain soap, but I'm afraid that all that scratchy stuff can't be actually good for your skin?

Anyone know if it's harmless or not? I'd like to get a full size of either that or any exfoliating scrub anyone recommends, assuming the gritty stuff is good for you.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Your skin feels cleaner because it is stripped of its natural oils and you scratch around on it with the scrub. Best for skin would be a very gentle cleanser with very few and gentle detergents. Like Neutrogena Extra Gentle, Aquanil, Purpose, Olay Sensitive Foaming, to name some.
Scrubs are a matter of personal choice. I don't like the concept of manually scratching around on skin. If you have an abnormally slow cell turnover (which is not common if you're under say 40 years old), a chemical exfoliant is IMO a better choice. AHAs if you want to superficially exfoliate, and BHA if you want to exfoliate inside pores to get rid of clogs. :)

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not very skincare savvy. What would be a good face wash that has BHA?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Rhapsody, you don't want a face wash with BHA because BHA needs to contact with the skin for much longer than the minute or so the cleanser will be on your face. I use a gentle cleanser (Neutrogena Extra Gentle or Oil of Olay for sensitive skin) and then apply a BHA for exfoliation. The best is Paula's Choice liquid.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rhapsody, you don't want a face wash with BHA because BHA needs to contact with the skin for much longer than the minute or so the cleanser will be on your face. I use a gentle cleanser (Neutrogena Extra Gentle or Oil of Olay for sensitive skin) and then apply a BHA for exfoliation. The best is Paula's Choice liquid.
Sorry I know I'm being a noob but what is Paula's Choice liquid and where would i buy it.

I've never really worried much about skincare because since going on BC I don't really have much more than mild acne at the worst. Now that I'm getting near 30 though, I feel like my skin looks kind of blah and dull so I want to start doing things right now.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Now that I'm getting near 30 though, I feel like my skin looks kind of blah and dull so I want to start doing things right now.
If you don't wear a great photostable sunscreen with at least decent UVA protection your skin will keep looking dull and photodamage will worsen significantly during the next years. We have a great sunscreen sticky to learn more.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Is the St Ives scrub good? What skin types is it for and what skin types is the Kiehls one for?:)

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I ordered the Paula's stuff to try!

·
Banned
155 Posts
Is the St Ives scrub good? What skin types is it for and what skin types is the Kiehls one for?:)
St Ives has different "strength" is guess is the word for it. They have invigorating, sensitive and another one but I forget what it is called. I love it too. I have semi sensitive skin and I use this morning and night :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I already tried lot of product from facial soap to facial wash and to facial scrub.. Facial scrub is the only one that works for me.

And I think it depends on your skin type which product is best for you. Don't hesitate to consult your doctor if you are not sure.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What face wash should I be using with the Paula's Choice stuff when it gets here?

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
I already tried lot of product from facial soap to facial wash and to facial scrub.. Facial scrub is the only one that works for me.

And I think it depends on your skin type which product is best for you. Don't hesitate to consult your doctor if you are not sure.
You mean consult a derm? That very probably won't help, as most of them sadly are not that competent. Especially they usually have no idea about cosmetics, it's not their field. Same with anti-aging, for example.

Facial scrub works for you for what exactly? Taking off make up? Cleansing in general? What kind of face wash have you tried?

It's not possible in general to say face wash doesn't work for me, as the term face wash is just labelling and says nothing about what kind of product you're dealing with. It's more a question of formulation. It also depends on what you want from a product. If you expect for example a wash or scrub to help with acne, that's just a misconception on how these cosmetics work. They may be labelled to be anti-acne or whatever, but for example to clean pores you need something that can penetrate them and actually
exfoliates from the inside. This is a job for a BHA leave-on, for example.

·
Denim Goddess
7,927 Posts
Microfoliant by dermalogica is a very very very gentle exfoliator that I use to get rid of flakies from retinoids/other chemical exfoliants.
My daily one is BHA though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I use the st.ives face scrub then wipe my face with ponds facial wipes. I think the st.ives makes my skin smoother and maybe its just me but makes my face seem brighter and younger.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
It makes your face seem brighter and younger because it improves blood circulation. :magwink

1 - 20 of 32 Posts