Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Paul Mitchell flat iron about three weeks ago for $98.00 shipped. It stated it was used once as a demo. I opened it and it looked like it was used more than just a demo but I didn't mind that much so I just was like whatever. I didn't use it for about a week and a half because I was moving so I wanted to pack as much as possible as soon as possible. Anyways so last week I started to use it finally. I used it about 3-5 times. Then I was sitting there and I heard a loud pop and it just started smoking then it wouldnt turn on again( a $200 iron should last way longer than that)?? The paper that came with the iron said it had a 1 year warranty. So i emailed the and asked him about the warranty or if he could refund me or something because thats alot of money for a stupid piece of sh*t iron that lasted five times and died. He said he doesn't sell those anymore so theres nothing he can do about it sorry. Do I have any grounds to file a claim or anything or am I just screwed?? Help I don't know ebay that well......

·
Registered
18,385 Posts
You bought it used. IMO, I don't think you have grounds for a dispute. Its like buying a pair of jeans and having them rip a week later and complaining about it. True, it was probably used more than once, but you should have done something about it when you opened it and weren't really satisfied, versus using it a couple times and having it break on you. I'm not sure Paypal would accept "used 5 times and broke, want my money back" as enough for a dispute, since it was advertised as pre-owned (I assume). IMO of course, maybe others can weigh in...

And about the warranty, you don't go through the merchant usually; in most cases, you contact the manufacturer directly.

·
Registered
10,768 Posts
^Agree with Emily. I don't think you really have a case with PayPal, as you used it around 5 times. Contact the manufacturer about the warranty.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I agree about contacting the manufacturer, though if you don't have the original receipt, it could make things more difficult for you. Also, I have several items under warranty and that warranty becomes void if I sell the item to someone else. It's still worth a try though - hopefully you'll be able to get some sort of compensation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts