Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Denim Goddess
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ipod Nano that I got for Xmas last year. At the time, I had an Ibook. I sold the Ibook and like an idiot, cleared the hard drive without backing anything up.

Now I have a mac-formatted Ipod with a lot of music that I don't have anywhere else, and a PC laptop with a separate Itunes library on it.

Is there a way to transfer the music from my nano to my laptop and then format it for a PC, or am I going to have to lose all the music on it?

I am language impaired this morning, so I apologize if I'm not making sense!

·
Registered
492 Posts
To be honest, I don't know much about Mac's. I know it can be tricky to get songs off an iPod and onto a computer. Here are a couple links I found. It looks like you're going to have to download some 3rd party applications to handle the communications. One to get your Mac formatted iPod to work with your PC and not lose your music and another to get the music off the iPod and onto your PC.

Using a Mac-formatted iPod on a PC

Getting music off your iPod and onto your computer

I cannot recommend or vouch for any of the programs on the pages above, so use at your own risk. :)

·
Denim Goddess
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for researching, Mountaineer! I will check out those links. Nola, if Ricky wants to weigh in when he gets up, that would be awesome :love.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for researching, Mountaineer! I will check out those links. Nola, if Ricky wants to weigh in when he gets up, that would be awesome :love.
No problem. Here's another option you can try. You can download a program to read Mac formatted disks, plug in your iPod and browse the device to find the music.

The program has a free trial download available:
Mac Drive 7

Once this is installed do this:
0. Make sure that "Show Hidden Files" is on - My Computer, Tools, Options, View
1. Plug the iPod in
2. It will show up as a external hard drive under "My Computer"
3. Double click on the drive, iPod_Control, Music

This sounds like it may be the easiest solution for you and is the one I would try first. The only problem you may run into is if you plug in your iPod, iTunes will want to reformat it and start automatically. If it starts this, just close iTunes and don't let it do anything to your iPod.

If you have any questions about any of this, let me know.

·
Denim Goddess
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to try this when I get home from work...I may pester you with questions if I can't figure it out.
This will sound dumb, but will my Itunes get confused if I'm using 2 ipods with it? I have the nano & a 20gb one as well.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
no, it wont...itll just recognize each one as a separate device

·
Registered
330 Posts
Maybe this was covered in one of the links posted... but we have an iPod, a Mac, and a few PCs (my husband works as a software developer, so he needs this stuff...)

Now -- I know for certain there IS a way to get music off the iPod, I'll have to ask him...

But, could you take your music from your iTunes library on the MAC and save to disk, then upload it onto your PC and file it all inside of the iTunes there?

That way your music library would all be complete and in one place... then re-format your iPod for your PC and update it with all of the music you have in one place?

I know we reformatted our iPod from his Mac to my PC because I'm "more organized" and before we did it, we copied his music and put it onto my PC... I think it should work.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I can't really answer your questions, but just make sure iTunes is not configured to automatically sync your iPod when you plug it in, otherwise you will lose all the music on there.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm going to try this when I get home from work...I may pester you with questions if I can't figure it out.
This will sound dumb, but will my Itunes get confused if I'm using 2 ipods with it? I have the nano & a 20gb one as well.
It should work with both iPods, it will just put your library on both of them. If you want the iPods to have different music on them, you will have to create different Windows profiles.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Jess, do you still need info.

I have an Ipod Nano and on it I had music from a pc...Over the summer I got a MAC and I am able to hook my nano up to this mac without an issue, even though all the music was from a pc. So, I should think it would be the same for the reverse. Also, I wanted to get all my music from my ipod to my Mac and someone on here told me about the program ipod music liberator (I"ll see if I can find you a link) And you don't have to pay anything for it and you can transfer 5 files at a time OR pay for it and transfer many more at one shot. Let me find the link now... :)

Let me know if this does not work: Zelek Software - Products

1 - 16 of 16 Posts