Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent yesterday at Fashion Valley mall trying on all sorts of Diesel jeans. I went to Nordstroms, Neimans, and Jeanery and I have to say I am a little bit disappointed. Not only was the selection very poor, I felt that not even one pair of the new Diesel line could stand up to my friend's Zathan 772 from a few years ago. The new fits were all very nice and flattering, however the jeans themselves appear to have gone down hill. The attention to detail is less, and the back pocket styling is not as desirable. I don't understand, why would a company take a step away from the right direction? I'm not bagging on Diesels intentionally; every jean had a relatively flattering fit. However, I felt like the new pockets were boring and that the washes were prosaic. I tried on a new style Zathan at Nordstroms and while the tiger striping (I believe thats what it is called?) was very nice, it lacked in attention to detail. What happened? Did jeans like the old-style Zathan just become too expensive to manufacture? Or is it that American retailors just don't carry a wide enough selection? Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
A lot of brands, not just Diesel, seem to be going a bit downhill in terms of quality of each individual jean. The 2003 washes seem to be realllly popular and sought after (for Diesel). I'm not sure why, I've never handled one to really know the difference. But that seems to be the consensus.

Other companies like Rock+Republic have a problem with falling quality too...so it's not just Diesel! Companies like these are growing and are producing goods at higher volumes now...it's hard to keep the same quality control over a larger number of jeans than a small set. Nudie Jeans are another example.

I do personally like older style Diesels better - ones from a season or two, or a couple lol, back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I spent yesterday at Fashion Valley mall trying on all sorts of Diesel jeans. I went to Nordstroms, Neimans, and Jeanery and I have to say I am a little bit disappointed. Not only was the selection very poor, I felt that not even one pair of the new Diesel line could stand up to my friend's Zathan 772 from a few years ago. The new fits were all very nice and flattering, however the jeans themselves appear to have gone down hill. The attention to detail is less, and the back pocket styling is not as desirable. I don't understand, why would a company take a step away from the right direction? I'm not bagging on Diesels intentionally; every jean had a relatively flattering fit. However, I felt like the new pockets were boring and that the washes were prosaic. I tried on a new style Zathan at Nordstroms and while the tiger striping (I believe thats what it is called?) was very nice, it lacked in attention to detail. What happened? Did jeans like the old-style Zathan just become too expensive to manufacture? Or is it that American retailors just don't carry a wide enough selection? Thanks for any insight.

Not a clue as to what Diesel's internal thought process is, but I wouldn't agree that they have gone "downhill." I believe the trend is simply towards simplistic minimalism. The less, the better. I can't speak for the quality.

Intricate details found in your prior generation Diesels likely do not resemble the new generation due to many unknown reasons. But I actually prefer the "boring" or lackluster designs. I never really fancied the lavish, over-the-top, bam-in-your-face designs. Fashion is ever evolving so to speak, but it's also very much a recyclable product. A brand usually follows a general trend regardless of how rebellious the brand may claim to be.

I find the low key design classy and sexy. Given that I don't have many pairs of denim, I'm grateful my acquisitions are quite "dull," this enables me to sport a single pair on consecutive days if I so choose, and "get away with it." It's much more difficult to do so with flashier products.

EDIT: But I totally understand where you're coming from. Individuals who fancy the flashy, more intricate, detailed products would obviously consider the newer batches "insulting."

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
^Ditto. I have set my TRs aside for now and am wearing my Diesels. I am in the mood for something less flashy, but still of high quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts