Authentic Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just received a pair of Billy's in dark drifter and like with most new jeans I buy I washed them before wearing them, by hand in cold water turned inside out. And as I did this they bled like a mofo, much more than I've seen with any other pair of new jeans I've hand washed. After letting them hang dry the inside legs and pockets are blotchy with indigo and the outside wash is about a half shade to a shade lighter. They still look good, I'm just in a little shock.

Was I supposed to wait on washing them or is this normal? thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I soak mine before washing it to get rid of the bleed

·
Registered
74 Posts
It does bleed but I don't know about the volume, it does bleed out a heavy color than a lighter jean I think.

·
Registered
91 Posts
maybe try...

I add vinegar to the wash with all of my darker washes. It seem sto help set the color and reduce bleeding.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
The vinegar rinses out. Doesn't smell like it at all and if it does, just rinse again in plain water.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Dark Drifter should not bleed profusely. Some of the indigo will normally release some with the first wash or rinse.

The only pair that I've handled that had a noticeable amount of indigo that actually rubbed off is The General.

Because I'm curious, can you post up pics of the jeans?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because I'm curious, can you post up pics of the jeans?
sure, here ya go (thumbnailed for big):

i dont have a real camera here so i had to use my phone. please excuse the crapitude of the pictures, they're much more faded/washed out than what you could see in person but you can still see where the indigo transferred on to the pockets and thighs.

jeans themselves, outside:

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it didn't fade. It shouldn't happen any longer. \

Vinegar will certainly help set the dye and you can still do that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that goes a long way in putting my mind at ease. it didnt fade much but they are a tad lighter than when i first got them. i dont mind the bleed so much as long as it was normal for dark washes. the jeans still look great and i love them.

will use vinegar next wash, thanks again Sungy :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts