Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the program or have finished the program? How do you like it?

I recently changed my major from clinical psych to dental hygiene and was wondering if that was wise. I'm a teeth fanatic (so dealing with them isn't a problem to me) but I've heard good and bad things about the program. Wondering if I'm making the right decision. :eek:hno

BTW, school is driving me up the wall! :panic

·
Premium Member
34,070 Posts
Not wise imo.

You can study whatever you want after college. You don't need to major in anything dental related to end up going into a hygiene program. But if you want to do psych or something else later it will be harder with a dental hyg degree. And if you have the grades, forget hygiene, become the real deal (a dentist)

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my city, only one university has the program and it's a 2 year associates (I would have to transfer unis). If I honestly like it, I could transfer to a 4 year bachelors program in a nearby state (but I honestly don't think I want to go the extra 2 years just to have the option of teaching).

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both simultaneously (I thought about changing my freshman year so I was working towards both - I'm still a psych minor). I'm classified as a sophomore. I actually changed it because clinical psych is going to take longer (and it seems longer because I had taken a couple of years off after my first year) and dental hygiene seemed a safe "fall back." I could do it anywhere and after I finished, I could go back to psych. Blah.. who knew figuring out what to do in life was so mind-boggling... =|

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
You aren't going to be able to do much with just a bachelors in Psych. You will have to do a 2 year masters program if you want to do counseling or 4-6 year PhD if you want to be a clinical psychologist.

·
Registered
36,827 Posts
My experience:

I started off pre-med, and when I realized how "long" it would take, I backed out and went into Psychology. My dad told me REPEATEDLY that getting a psych degree would do little without a masters. Did I listen? Nope. I graduated with that psych degree, looked for a job...wound up working in a dead-end bank job. :shake NOBODY would hire me with a B.S. in Psychology. Masters was a MUST, and they weren't willing to pay for it either.

Well, here I am, married and 5 kids later, and NOW I want to go get my medical degree; since I have so many kids, I will go through the Physician's Assistant program. I plan to start in either spring or summer.

Nothing speaks louder than experience. Don't let the hardness or length of time hold you back.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You aren't going to be able to do much with just a bachelors in Psych. You will have to do a 2 year masters program if you want to do counseling or 4-6 year PhD if you want to be a clinical psychologist.
Yeah, that's why I changed to a 2 year program (dental hygiene). I love psych, I just can't wait that long to finish a degree. After my hygiene degree, I was going back to school for psych because then I won't feel like I'm in a rat race (i.e., mom is DYING for me to finish school, classmates have already graduated and even a couple have their masters). << I know I shouldn't care and I don't majority of the time but when you have your mom in your ear 24/7 about graduating, you can't help but dwell on it.

School << :rant:panic:panic

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
My experience:

I started off pre-med, and when I realized how "long" it would take, I backed out and went into Psychology. My dad told me REPEATEDLY that getting a psych degree would do little without a masters. Did I listen? Nope. I graduated with that psych degree, looked for a job...wound up working in a dead-end bank job. :shake NOBODY would hire me with a B.S. in Psychology. Masters was a MUST, and they weren't willing to pay for it either.

Well, here I am, married and 5 kids later, and NOW I want to go get my medical degree; since I have so many kids, I will go through the Physician's Assistant program. I plan to start in either spring or summer.

Nothing speaks louder than experience. Don't let the hardness or length of time hold you back.
Exactly my experience minus the premed part. After getting a bachelors in psychology I could not find a decent job. I applied for several case manager positions that preferred a psych degree, but those jobs wanted someone with experience on top of the bachelors. For someone coming straight out of college with a psych degree, there is little chance of finding anything within the field. Right now I am going back to get my masters. Congrats on going back to school - ITA that its worth the extra time and hard work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts