Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's that time again. I know I've been a shadow around here lately, only making appearances now and then in Celebrity Gossip after new episodes of HIMYM, PR5, and The Office, and answering the few (but very appreciated!) PMs I get. To be honest, things over at DDNA have just been too busy for me to come over here as often. JOKES! Seriously, I have just been following some wise advice I was given on getting what I want to get out of coming to AF, and trying to avoid the things that would keep me away. Maybe that's a little too blunt ... but, eh, fuck it. We're all friends here, there's no need to mince words.

Anyway, I guess it's been a while since I gave an update on how my dad is doing. Some people know already (because they've asked--again, thank you! :love). But for the rest of yas--you know I love to keep you posted--here's an excerpt from the post that I made on my WoW guild's forums:

Some of you may remember that my dad has cancer. Well, in the middle of a failure of a second round of chemotherapy, one oncologist at a private hospital in Hong Kong suggested that my dad try radiation therapy, which my dad began when he returned to Hong Kong after visiting Canada for a couple of weeks this past summer.

Shortly after beginning radiation therapy, my dad spoke with an oncologist at the public hospital where he was previously undergoing chemotherapy, who said that radiation therapy is merely suppression of the tumours targeted by the treatment and nothing more, and that it would never get down to the root cause of the cancer and eliminate it. He told my dad that the first option was to undergo a third round of chemotherapy, which was not likely to be successful given the advanced stage of my dad’s cancer and the aggressiveness of the cancer cells. My dad’s second option was to consider his quality of life if he were to undergo yet another round of chemotherapy and just go home and wait, forgoing formal cancer treatment. A third oncologist gave a prognosis similar to the oncologist at the public hospital, saying that my dad had “months, not years” to live.

We found this out about a month ago now (note: almost two months ago now). My parents’ first impulse was to start packing up to move back to Canada, which they are currently in the process of doing. They have nullified their work and housing contracts and sold all of their furniture. My parents plan to move back to Canada at the end of October, but they will definitely come sooner if they can get all of their affairs in order.
TL;DR: Cure (seemingly) impossible; dad has months to live; parents are both moving back to Canada to be closer to kids and parents.

My parents booked their plane tickets a week or two ago, and plan to return on October 11th (Canadian Thanksgiving weekend).

I've already done more than my fair share of freaking out, crying, and getting wasted, listening to sad music, and crying some more. (Yes, we **** do make the most dramatic drama queens, outshining teenagers everywhere.)

I'm sorry to have to give you guys bad news about dad. You all have been nothing but supportive throughout this entire ordeal, and, not only have I found solace in that, but I made sure my dad read those threads and I'm sure that he found encouragement in your words as well.

And I guess that's all there is to say ...

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family:hug

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I wish for strenght and courage to you and your family during this hard time.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I'm so sorry. Cancer is the biggest monster there is. Enjoy your time with your father and family right now. These are the moments we leave workings of the world to fate and, if you beleive, faith. Big hugs! By the way your sense of humor is amazing and will carry you through the hardest trials in life. You rock!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Your dad and your family are in my prayers. I'm glad that you are still able to have a sense of humor during such a sad time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
This makes me sad. I love when you post pictures of your family. They seem like the best bunch of "friends" ever.

·
Registered
449 Posts
im so sorry to hear about your dad. i went through something similar when my grandmother passed away because of cancer. the way i see it, its better to know how much time they have left than for them to pass away unexpectedly. that way, you can cherish and be greatful for whatever time is left and really let them know how much you love them. your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
Aw Geoff that is so tough. I'm so sorry. You are in my thoughts. :(

1 - 20 of 138 Posts