Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK everyone knows i'm a crazy cat lady, but i think i'm a crazy bird lady too. I feed them on my porch railing every day, and could honestly watch these guys for hours on end. I'm weird aren't i. I want a new camera for hanukkah with a mega zoom to take pics of them. Anyone else into wild birds?

Here's my porch circa 5 min ago:

3 male cardinals and some kind of sparrow i think, i can't make out the picture now

A tufted titmouse, a mourning dove, and another cardinal (they had lottsssss of babies this spring)

A bunch of goldfinches (not yellow in the winter), a junco on the right, and a red bellied woodpecker in the middle. Woodpeckers rock.

Most random thread ever.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Those are very pretty birds! We get a lot of birds in our yard too. You live in a very nice area...I love all the woods!

·
Registered
214 Posts
You're not a crazy bird lady. My mother was a bird rehabber- we have feeders and a coop, in the yard, and still have frequent visits from our wild birds, even though she moved out years ago. They're extremely smart and interesting social creatures, which I've eventually come to appreciate...Years after deciding my mother wasn't a 'crazy bird lady.'

·
Registered
330 Posts
You have a beautiful yard!! I also feed the birds out here and love to watch them, but I never considered feeding them on my actual porch ledge like you did... I wonder if they'd come? I have 2 hanging hummingbird feeders that hang atthe edge of my porch and during spring & summer they're a popular hangout for the little guys, but I think they have gone for the winter -- was 27 degrees here last night and most of our birds have skipped town. :rofl

·
Premium Member
34,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're extremely smart and interesting social creatures
So true! I think it's so interesting to watch the dynamic of the different species all together.

Some crow musta opened my suet basket and carried off the whole thing though. smart little bastards. lol

·
Premium Member
34,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also feed the birds out here and love to watch them, but I never considered feeding them on my actual porch ledge like you did... I wonder if they'd come?
They probably will. I've been doing it for years and none of them seem to have a problem with it. There's a tree to the left of the porch where a lot of them will land as they approach, and then from there hop down to the rail. The new guys will kinda scope it out from the tree for a bit before deciding. The bigger birds also knock stuff all over the floor of the porch and the ones that want more space to roam and scavenge will go down there. The woodpeckers pecked a huge hole into the corner of the rail though where the 2 beams meet. It's like a little woodpecker bowl now. They have an easier time digging down into there for the food.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
i love watching the birds eat off the feeders in the winter at my mom's house. she's got them up all over the place!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Wow! I've never seen a cardinal IRL. Those pics are great. All I get in my backyard are a bunch of asshole squirrels.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
214 Posts
So true! I think it's so interesting to watch the dynamic of the different species all together.

Some crow musta opened my suet basket and carried off the whole thing though. smart little bastards. lol
Crows and ravens, the corvus birds, are too smart. We have ravens here, and they often made off with the suet, leaving the little chickadees hungry. If you've ever seen chickadees looking for suet in a feeder, only to be disappointed, it's pretty sad. Rolly-polly confused little things.

I think it's really nice that you're feeding the birds/becoming a bird watcher. It's funny how a bird sighting will totally make a person's day.

"Oh, I saw a Hairy Woodpecker today!"

When my mother first got into birds, she asked for binoculars for Christmas. Your bird-watching accessories will grow!

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I used to like to watch them when I was little. My grandparents always had lots of feeders near their back porch. They are cool to watch and some of them are really pretty.

Edit: Chickadees were always my favorites too!

·
Premium Member
34,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That and woodpeckers. I have 3 different kinds of woodpeckers. The babies this summer were adorable, and watching the parents feed them was hilarious (the babies had to actually drill into their beaks. lol)

·
Registered
23,935 Posts
I saw a woodpecker in a tree the other day that was the size of a freaking buzzard. It was HUGE and soooo pretty! We have a bird feeder outside out big picture window in the den and we love watching them!

I cannot put the seeds on the porch railing for fear the 4 outside cats would make food out of the birds.:(

Oh yeah! Your yard is spectacular! Post some pics when you get snow, pretty please!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I love birds!! I use to have around 15 feeders in my front and back yard. I almost went broke feeding the little buggers because the squirrels would empty out my feeders on an almost daily basis. Unfortunately, I am a crazy cat lady too :shake All the stray cats find their way to my home. I can't feed my birds anymore because of the cats :(

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Oooh, woodpeckers. My friend had one that kept pecking at her house and it drove them crazy! :eek: We get a lot of bluebirds and on occasion you can see the bald eagle in the sky. I think my new neighbor is in heaven...she works for the Audubon Society. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts