Authentic Jeans Forums banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If it's any consolation, I agree with the whole implant etc., but that's only because I was born here in the states, which is why I can see both sides of the story whereas most of you older generation cannot seem to comprehend.
Not all of us who have issues with elective plastic surgery are older.

I didn't actually realize you were male until I saw luvapup's comment. I could not resist my comment after pianochica's description of how to tell if your boobs are done growing though!

·
Banned
21,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,335 Posts
OMG!

he is playing the "older generation" card...:roll:shake:whistle:ok

wutever.

OP I completely echo Linda's post.
I hope you will research this quest of yours very thoroughly, and not be hasty in having elective surgery for something that may correct itself, but is should in no wise be caught up in your personal happiness.
Happiness...is fleeting.
Contentment and acceptance is gain.:)
Carry on...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
OMG!

he is playing the "older generation" card...:roll:shake:whistle:ok

wutever.

OP I completely echo Linda's post.
I hope you will research this quest of yours very thoroughly, and not be hasty in having elective surgery for something that may correct itself, but is should in no wise be caught up in your personal happiness.
Happiness...is fleeting.
Contentment and acceptance is gain.:)
Carry on...
Was not trying to use age as leverage. More as a sense that you being older correlates to you having stronger sense of your own values, deeply rooted in your own attitude/value/viewpoint. More so, I am assuming you were born and raised here in America, which already indicates value differences cross culturally. Age is only a factor in the sense that you are less incline to think differently due to wisdom, experience, etc. (Which I believe is subjective).

·
Denim Goddess
14,606 Posts
I agree that there are cultural differences but I think a mother's love for a child is pretty much universal that crosses whatever cultural boundaries/differences there may be.. but people show love differently since no individual is the same, and in the OP's mother case, she is willing to show love by going along with what makes her daughter happy and supporting her. In other cases, mother's love is shown through her persistence and teachings that her daughter is perfect the way she is in hopes to have her daughter accept who she is for herself and gain more confidence in herself.

I think my mom would let me go in for a procedure if she truly thought I could be happier (I personally would never actually do this), but not without trying the latter approach first. I really think this has more to do with what an individual thinks is the best for her daughter rather than cultural boundaries, and also the OP shouldn't be judged (even though i myself personally do not believe in plastic surgery) b/c she may have negative experiences that make her feel the way she does about her body that many people have not experienced.. just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
My mom hadn't had much experience with raising kids; she was young, didn't have much support. But I think she did a great job. My older brother is a shining example of one who gives without thinking of taking back (he is a counselor for high schoolers encouraging them to graduate and go to college) and I am headed off to law school (I am aiming for the UN). They (my mother and father) did the best they knew how to, and I appreciate all that they have done for me.

Thank you all for your support. This is truly something that I have thought a lot about am as ready emotionally and mentally for it as I can possibly be without having had the procedure before. :hug:hug:hug

·
Registered
36,827 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
DQ I know you're addressing Dniceltr but for awhile in the thread it did seem a lot of people were against it simply because it was going to be done overseas. I know the American healthcare system is considered the best (at least by Americans) but I simply do not think it is true. I do not think he meant to offend people by assuming that they didn't grasp the cultural differences, rather I think he was pointing to this tendency of Americans to prefer their own healthcare to another country's.

·
Registered
13,747 Posts
I don't think the issue here is that people don't think the surgeons are as good in Taiwan, it is the fact that should any complications arise, you would have to travel on a very long flight to another country. If your implant ruptured would you really want to sit on a plane for 12 hours(or however long the flight is), and then back home after having surgery? It sounds mighty exhausting, when you could just drive 15 minutes should anything go wrong.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I don't think the issue here is that people don't think the surgeons are as good in Taiwan, it is the fact that should any complications arise, you would have to travel on a very long flight to another country. If your implant ruptured would you really want to sit on a plane for 12 hours(or however long the flight is), and then back home after having surgery? It sounds mighty exhausting, when you could just drive 15 minutes should anything go wrong.
:thumbsup This.

I don't think any one was saying the medical care in Taiwan is bad.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Okay, that makes perfect sense. If anything should happen I would go to the nearest reputable surgeon. There are plenty in Austin should the need arise. If it's a major procedure that needs to be done ASAP my life is more important than a some money. If it's leaking and can wait, then I'll go back as they have warranties.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about a rupture. They are few and far between. If it's not a rupture there is no great emergency that she has to rush there. Any other complications would really happen within the first 3 months and she will be there for that. If it's a misplacement that can wait till she gets on the plane. Wouldn't effect her health at all. I was worried for her about the long distance also but OP goes there at least once a year and will be there for the first 3 months of surgery. t After the 1st 3 months they only see you again at 6 months and a year so she will only be missing one post OP exam ( a lot of people never go back at all.). She seems to know what she's doing and has her Mom there too. I think as long as she did her homework with the Doctor she will be fine. A lot of overseas DR's have associates in the US anyway in case of a problem.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
lol -- breast implant "warranties"

I chuckled because it is cute. :)

I've said everything before so nothing to add except that I am relieved that your mother was in the medical field so whe can converse comfortably with the medical professionals performing your surgery.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Taiwan!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
lol -- breast implant "warranties"

I chuckled because it is cute. :)

I've said everything before so nothing to add except that I am relieved that your mother was in the medical field so whe can converse comfortably with the medical professionals performing your surgery.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Taiwan!
One of my Coworkers was talking about this the other day. I posed the questions "what happens when you finance your boob job and you default in your payments...does someone get to repossess them?". Then he started to talk about how his sister had them done and got a warranty on her boobs.

But with financing they must use something else as collateral.

·
Registered
36,827 Posts
DQ I know you're addressing Dniceltr but for awhile in the thread it did seem a lot of people were against it simply because it was going to be done overseas. I know the American healthcare system is considered the best (at least by Americans) but I simply do not think it is true. I do not think he meant to offend people by assuming that they didn't grasp the cultural differences, rather I think he was pointing to this tendency of Americans to prefer their own healthcare to another country's.
I understand; thanks for clarifying. :magwink

I do agree with Jess and the others about the recovery issue though; God forbid something goes wrong, Taiwan is just so far away. :eek:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I understand both sides of the argument. But if it's something Ling's been thinking of for a LONG time then it's better to support her... and I'm sure this is the way her mum is thinking too.

I have 2 friends who's parents have paid or supported them for cosmetic surgery. One was for a nose job when she was 17... she had a roman-esque nose and all the way through primary school she was teased for having a witch nose (kids can be so cruel). She was VERY happy after surgery. The second friend had an underbite and thought her face looked fatter than it actually was because the skin under her chin had no definition so at 23 had her jaws dislocated, and lower jaw pushed back. She was happy afterwards too but had doubts when she met guys and then questioned whether they would've liked her still if she looked the way she had prior to surgery. But still she's happy now.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is Emily is right, parents do show love in different ways (and I know the Gary Chapman book very well :) )

·
Premium Member
32,335 Posts
Missy:

Have you read back what I and others have posted regarding elective surgery?

I sad at least TWICE...(as did at least several others)
that unless one was horribly disfigured or malformed...I would not pay for it.

Your example of a hook nose, is exactly what I was referring to.
Seriously now...

anyway.
Carry on.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I know, Joan. I personally would discourage my kids to get cosmetic surgery and bring them up to love themselves as God has made them but if it's sending them into depression/seclusion then I think I would give them the support rather than all out go against it and let them know my love for them would not change either way. It was amazing how my friend came out of her shell after her nose job. At the time I thought she shouldn't have done it though.

141 - 160 of 199 Posts