Authentic Jeans Forums banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be studying Chinese in Taiwan for 3 months and at the end of it, I'm going to treat myself to new boobs.

Has anyone done any research or had cosmetic surgery in Taiwan and can share their experiences?

I'm a little worried about the language barrier. I do speak Chinese, but I hardly know medical terms to really ask questions. My mom will be there but I'm afraid she'll not be the best translator.

Any advice, experiences, etc. are appreciated!

and sorry about another boob thread, I didn't want to necropost Canadiangirl's thread.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's cheaper there, and I've always been told that they would probably know how to deal with my body type/frame better. Plus my mom's getting it for me and that's where she'd rather I get it done

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I wouldn't get any cosmetic work somewhere else just cause its cheaper. You really do get what you pay for.

The only place out of the US I would get any work done would be Korea just because they are #1 in cosmetic surgery.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my whole family's Taiwanese so we're a little biased. I've been googling sites (most are completely in traditional characters which I can't read :() and at least one of the doctors I've researched did a lot of studying in Korea and Japan. Here's the website: 知美整形外科診所
Apparently Taiwan is quite the destination for Singapore people seeking cosmetic surgery (I found that website on a Singapore cosmetic surgery site).

Katie, would you be worried about the language barrier if you were to go to Korea?

Do I need to be getting pictures of what I'd like them to look like? I've read about the rice test (putting bags of rice in the bras you'd like to fit into) to see what the implants will be like, but right now I'm just really unprepared and there seem to be a million sites about implants but none that make any sense to me :(

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
My health would be more important to me than saving money. Do you know of all the risk you're taking by just having surgery alone? I'm sorry but IMO if you need to go to Taiwan to have your boob job done just to save some money then that clearly means you do not need to be getting them done in the first place. I would never go to another country to get any type of surgery done to save money simply because their health standards or requirements are probably not up to par with the U.S.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's more up to my mom who's paying for it than it is up to me. Taiwan is also known for their impressive healthcare system. I think it is a common misperception that the US is the only place that has clean facilities, or rather countries in the Western and industrialised world.
My family routinely goes back to Taiwan (as do all of our extended family and Chinese/Taiwanese friends) for all our major procedures whether it be dental, cosmetic, or anything else.
If the general consensus is to not go to a foreign country to get breast implants then so be it. I was just hoping someone on the forum had had the experience before and could share with me.
Thank you all so much for your advice and opinions, I truly value them!! :love

·
Forum Bitch
3,977 Posts
Wait, if something goes wrong, you what fly back??????????? What if down the road, one implant pops? What if you get scar tissue? Fly back? It could get costly.

·
Registered
18,385 Posts
I honestly think it would be okay and I actually think that they would have more experience dealing with the Asian physique. Do you have relatives there who have friends who have done it? If I wanted to do it there, I'd totally contact a couple of my female cousins and ask around :)

ETA: The only thing I would be afraid of is the fact that you are only staying there for 3 months. I would only get implants there if I was staying there long enough to make sure that everything heals up okay (ie. 1 year+) and that you've done your follow up check ups (or whatever they do for this type of surgery; I'm not totally clear with the exact procedures).

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly, if something happened down the line I probably would go back. I've had a couple of minor procedures there (dental, etc.) and was pleasantly surprised by the facilities and the level of care exercised. Also, Taiwan and China will probably be places I go at least once a year if not more anyway.

Emily, I wish I had family that had gotten breast implants. I think I will be the first unfortunately :(

·
Registered
412 Posts
I dont' know much about the Health care system in Taiwan, but I do agree that the US is not the only safe place to have procedures. Regardless of that, I still think it's a bad move simply because you do not speak the language. If you were in Taiwan speaking with an English (I am assuing you speak English) doctor, I would think it's possible to consider it. I would say the same thing to a Chinese speaker in the US, for this type of Choice surgery. I would think them crazy to go under the knife of a doctor, that they cannot communicate with properly.

It's still surgery, it's still dangerous. You need to understand the decisions you're making to be certain you are getting what you want, and that it will be safe. You should be 100% comfortable, and knowledgeable of the whole procedure, and what will happen. Based on your scenario, I dont' see how this could happen. This is your procedure, not your mom's, so you should be the one discussing it with the doctor. It's not like it's a necessary medical procedure where you have no choice but to have her translate to get this done for your health.. They are not just following the correct procedure, going by the book to keep you alive. This type of surgery is based on how you communicate your vision, and has risks you need to be fully aware of.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try the link I posted earlier. It's in English (gives me some hope for communication) and Chinese and is actually not translated horribly! This doctor has a procedure where you're conscious so you can determine the size of your breasts with water-filled ones first.

I'm really terrified of medical procedures, but for this one I actually feel pretty good about it...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
They all use sizers when doing a breast aug. Your just asleep so you don't know they are.If you are working in that field and find someone you trust I can understand that but personally I wouldn't take the chance unless you fully research and everyone is on the same page. If they are doing you awake they are doing it with novacaine. I had a pair of saline implants filled up under novacaine and I WOULD NOT SUGGEST DOING IT UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE MEDICAL FIELD! It's very strange to be awake when they do this procedure and you do feel everything it just doesn't hurt. The novacaine wore off while I was getting stitched up so I had to grin and bear it. I worked for a plastic surgeon so it didn't bother me but if you don't know what to expect I could see someone freaking out bad. Be careful and do your homework!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The website I'm looking at says they use an epidural anesthetic so you can be awake and not in pain. I've never had an epidural but it sounds painful (my big problem with it). On the website it also says they can give some anxiety relievers (I'm guessing since I don't think anesthetics do anything about anxiety) before the procedure if you're going to be awake.
They have pics of them sizing the breasts, and the tissue doesn't appear to be cut in anyway, no blood or ickiness, so...I guess I'm off to the Boob thread...I have a feeling I missed out on a lot of important information in there.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Don't know anything about cosmetic surgery, but Singapore has a very good reputation for their health care system and English is one of their official languages. I think it is actually the main one in use.

·
Denim Goddess
7,927 Posts
It's more up to my mom who's paying for it than it is up to me. Taiwan is also known for their impressive healthcare system. I think it is a common misperception that the US is the only place that has clean facilities, or rather countries in the Western and industrialised world.
;score As we know, US doctors are plenty capable of botching a boob job, too.

I would just make sure you do your research and check the reputation of the doc you choose with several other respected doctors, there has to be a similar licensing/regulation organization to the US for cosmetic surgeons- maybe look for info there?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The one I'm currently researching is supposed to be one of the best in Taiwan. At least according to a Singapore cosmetic surgery forum lol. There are pictures of stuff he's done too...it all looks good!

.......I'm so frickin' excited!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Hmm.. if you really need a dr in the US. My friend got hers done, she's Asian and I think her dr did a great job at making them look natural. She went from a tiny A to approx a C. I'm in Houston so you could just take a 3 hour drive down here and get it done.

I just think it's silly to fly so far for a surgery that's widely done in the states. Plus, you definitely don't want to be on a long flight while you are still recovering from surgery.

regarding me and the Korea thing. It's not a big deal for me. Lots of people fly to Korea for just about any type of cosmetic surgery, I'm sure they understand English well. But for what I plan on getting done if I even get around to it, I doubt I'll need to tell them much.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts