Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do most people need upon having a baby? I have to go to a baby shower this Saturday and I have no idea what to get. I mean there are the basics, but I don't want to get the same thing other people are. I've heard babies grow really fast so clothes wouldn't be a good thing IMO.

So far I've gotten her a Emily Ray bracelet, monogram bath towel and bib, socks that looks like shoes (super cute), and a cashmere blanket. Should I get anything else?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I usually buy the book "I'll Love you Forever" by Robert Munsch. It is the BEST babyshower gift to give. Sometime depending on how well i know the person I will get them this book in addition to small toy or a blanket.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think you have enough stuff. If you want to get something else, u can always get diapers or baby wipes.
Yes, I think new parents appreciate diapers and wipes more than anyone really thinks. That stuff adds up! (If you get diapers, don't get the infant size, size up because the baby will grow fast and well, everyone buys the newborn size).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of great things already. I definitely agree that babies grow so quickly so if you do clothes, buy a larger size that can be used later. Or, antoher good idea would be a little board book. There are such cute ones out there and it's always a nice thing.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I'd say those gifts are enough. I usually lean towards giving keepsake items & gc, those are usually overlooked.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Is she registered anywhere? Maybe ask the person who is throwing the shower if they are registered at Babies R Us or BuyBuy Baby etc.

It sounds like you got enough stuff anyway! :)

·
Banned
4,287 Posts
That's some really nice stuff you got her.
To be honest though, I think a "new parent pack" would have been better. (a box of diapers, wipes, baby lotion, baby powder, etc.) I'm just stating this because at my shower, I got a lot of stuff like that, but the stuff I appreciated the most was the stuff above - it was stuff I really needed.
I'm not saying to return what you got her though, it's JMO

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all those suggestions! I think I'm going to to get some baby products like tiffany says and a baby book too.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bought my sister-in-law one of those Johnson baby sets that includes the baby powder, shampoo, baby oil, diaper cream, body wash, etc. She really liked it. I also got one of those rubber ducks that you put in the bath water and it tells you if it's too hot or not.

My nephew has that same rubber duck for the bath -- he's 11 months old and still gets baths in it -- it was a great gift!

And yeah -- I was going to say -- isn't she registered somewhere?? Sounds like you have gotten a lot already though :love

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I got some monogrammed burp clothes when Foster was a baby and they were so cute! They were just those thick, cloth diapers with his initials monogrammed on them. Another one had some ric rac on the ends and his name. One had a little football and his name on it, etc. I really liked those because when a baby is young, the mom has to have a burp cloth over her shoulder most of the time and I didn't mind "wearing" those cute ones so much!

·
Registered
227 Posts
You are so sweet to buy such lovely gifts for your friend! I agree with Tiffany though, that practical stuff is really helpful. Would you consider returning the cashmere blanket (fabulous, but I'd be afraid to let the baby near it lest it get ruined asap)? A gift card for Babies r Us would be great. I can't tell you how many times I ended up there in the first twelve months looking for toys, rattles, diapers, etc.

·
Registered
23,935 Posts
What do most people need upon having a baby? I have to go to a baby shower this Saturday and I have no idea what to get. I mean there are the basics, but I don't want to get the same thing other people are. I've heard babies grow really fast so clothes wouldn't be a good thing IMO.

So far I've gotten her a Emily Ray bracelet, monogram bath towel and bib, socks that looks like shoes (super cute), and a cashmere blanket. Should I get anything else?
This sounds like a perfect gift!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I just went to a baby shower for one of my best friends and I got her a Diaper Champ. I think her husband was more thrilled at the gift. :jumping

But what you've bought sounds great and will be well appreciated.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
I usually buy the book "I'll Love you Forever" by Robert Munsch. It is the BEST babyshower gift to give. Sometime depending on how well i know the person I will get them this book in addition to small toy or a blanket.

EXCELLENT idea!! I still get choked up reading this to my son sometimes! (And I am NOT a cryer, at all)!! Very good book!! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts