Authentic Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting hair extensions. Not for length more for body and fullness since I have really fine super straight hair. I was wondering if anyone here has them or has had them and about how much they cost. Also wanted to know if they damage your real hair at all and how long they last. Any info is much appreciated! TIA :flowers

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I think your hair looks beautiful & full in your pics. I would never think you had fine hair.
I've never had them but I hear they're super expensive.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Hair extensions are very expensive if you have them done in a salon. They'll cost you anywhere between $800-$1500 depending on your area/salon and they only last approx. 3 months. Sally's on the other hand, has some pretty good clip-in extensions that are $80 a pop and then you can decide when you want to use them or go without.

ETA: Hair extensions will not cause damage to your real hair either.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, yes they will. I've had them, and I've done them. The tension can cause hair loss, thinning, breakage, and bald spots.
OY! I thought they might make your natural hair fall out! I guess I may try the snap on clips from Sallys. Thanky TIGI :)

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
lisa, try the clip on ones!!! i have some clip on ones that i LOVE!! they are perfect for adding fullness where needed!! my aunt actually made mine for me so i can't recommend a brand for you though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use the clip on hair extension from Sally's and LOVE IT!! I recommend getting the longest one though. I was cheap and didn't wanna pay $10 more for the 18" or something, and got the shorter one. grrr!! I got my friends hooked on them too, and they all love it!! Here are some pix of the before and after pictures - they look real and natural! & they don't ruin your hair!!

my friend before:
her after:

me before hair extension and color:

after:

SO YESSS I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE CLIP ON ONES! HEHEHE!! Convenient, cheap, lasts for years, and doesn't ruin your hair. You can also style and dye it any way you want!

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, they look great and natural on you! What brand are they? I'm definitely looking into the clip on ones. Thanks for posting pix :thumbsup

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow, they look great and natural on you! What brand are they? I'm definitely looking into the clip on ones. Thanks for posting pix :thumbsup
I got the Remy Human Hair extension. It was at Sally's for $79.99 for the 14", and 89.99 for the 18". With hair extensions, it's final sale, and they don't let you try it on :/ So I don't know if there's a place where you can try on clip on extensions first before you buy it? My friends and I don't have any problems with it - it fits perfectly!! but who knows.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive had acrylic hair extensions for 2 years now (have a look at my pic)
I live in the UK they cost me £190 for a full head and £1 an extension for infills which i get around 30 per month.
They havnt caused any damage to my natural hair but ive heard in some cases they do.
I think it all depends on where you go and how they attach them as I know glue is real bad but mine arnt glued in there sort of braided in with a little plait.
If its just for body you want and not length i would go for the cheaper option of clip ins :)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Sorry, yes they will. I've had them, and I've done them. The tension can cause hair loss, thinning, breakage, and bald spots.
I agree, extensions are bad news! They look good for a while...but not worth it IMO of course. Clip ins are alright though

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Ditto! See it happen and it's happened to me.

I had great lengths ... can cost $1500 up to $3000.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My friend is a hairdresser and needed a guinea pig to practice on, so I volunteered. I only had to pay for the hair, but it was still expensive. I want to say it was around $300-400. It took hours for her to put them in, and they were the glue in kind.

Plusses: my hair looked really pretty, and the extensions blended well with my hair and looked very natural. I also have very thin, fine hair, so the addition of the extensions added a great deal of fullness.

Minusses: The glue melts when exposed to heat, so after just a few weeks, the extensions began to fall out when I would blowdry on high, or use a straightener. It's difficult to rinse, and leftover shampoo is very itchy. You aren't supposed to expose the extensions to chlorine, so no pools or waterparks. Because my hair was so thin and fine, and my head is really small, the extensions were applied close to my face, so pulling my hair back into a ponytail was never a simple process. I had to make sure to pull hair down to cover the bonds. My extensions only lasted four weeks, as I discovered that I was *possibly* allergic to something in the bonds, and my scalp was ALWAYS itchy. You have to care for the extensions much more extensively than your own hair, as they will dry out and get matted if not properly tended. Sleeping on the bonds was extremely uncomfortable.

I didn't experience the hair loss, and when the extensions were removed, my own hair was fine. (and thin, just like before...lol).

All in all, NOT worth it, and I'd never do it again.

-Penny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts