Authentic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People at my work were saying that their are websites or programs that business are using to view myspace, facebook and other social websites for do check up on people... is this true? I never write anything bad or even have many pictures on my facebook but that just creeps me out a bit.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I don't use myspace, but for facebook, you can control your privacy settings to have only friends see the info you post up!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
actually, facebook just changed the privacy settings, allowing people to view some parts of your profile {that whole pop-up thing that was around like two days ago..}
Ticked me off so instead of having it to where friends of friends could see everything, I just made everything private..now you can't even search for me anymore. but yeah, be careful of what you post like what dojoqueen says, which is why most of the normal info I have on my profile, like my mobile number, is fake...8675309 FTW!! of course, people of my generation won't get it...but meh.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
actually, facebook just changed the privacy settings, allowing people to view some parts of your profile {that whole pop-up thing that was around like two days ago..}
Ticked me off so instead of having it to where friends of friends could see everything, I just made everything private..now you can't even search for me anymore. but yeah, be careful of what you post like what dojoqueen says, which is why most of the normal info I have on my profile, like my mobile number, is fake...8675309 FTW!! of course, people of my generation won't get it...but meh.
if you don't want your mobile number to be seen, why would you even display a mobile number...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't use myspace, but for facebook, you can control your privacy settings to have only friends see the info you post up!
I think what the original poster meant is that if companies had programs to bypass these privacy settings. I've definitely heard of rumors that there are and companies use them to their full advantage. I'm not sure if this has been confirmed though....Makes me nervous but I have nothing illegal to hide!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
if you don't want your mobile number to be seen, why would you even display a mobile number...
wanted to see if anyone would call, then ask me on FB that they keep on getting some person on the other side asking them if they like wearing granny panties or not. I find it funny to mess with people, but that's just me.:rofl

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
That's why I don't have my last name on FB.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For what it's worth, StoneCold, I totally got your joke. And I think it's funny, albeit very dorky.
Me too haha, I got it!

I was just curious if anyone knew these "programs" were true or false. We had a corporate compliance meeting and they mentioned facebook/myspace and how we could get fired for posting negative comments about our work or pictures at work.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I went into my FB and changed it so only friends could see my stuff, but I don't post anything even remotely questionable. It creeps me out to have strangers trolling though my stuff, which is one reason I hated myspace.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I consider this to be as bad as a significant other snooping through your stuff.

A business has no business going through an employee's and/or prospective employee's life outside of work. A person should be judged by their performance on the job, not by what they've written on facebook.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
We post pictures of work on FB all the time.. and we talk about work on fb.. but no one cares. I mean, I told a certain celebrity how i felt about her and I got a high five from our GM... so it really depends on WHERE you work and WHO you work for.

AFAIK, there is no way to check up on people that have their profiles set private or friends only.

That said, I have everything setup where you cant see anything unless youre a friend already. No friends of friends, or networks BS.. just friends.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hardly post anything on FB either. I work at a hospital and they specifically said they can monitor stuff and blah blah. So I got nervous, even though I've done nothing.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
to answer your question about third-party programs being able to "snoop" into people's private profiles... I don't think they exist or would be able to exist. The only way of seeing what's inside a person's private profile would be to have some sort of site admin access, which only certain employees of facebook, myspace, etc. have access to. Not to mention any kind of program like that would require some kind of login, and if it would even work at all, the snooper's account would undoubtfully be shut down anyways because they would be 100% breaking the terms of service on those sites.

There are programs for Myspace that allow you to see who has visited your profile and stuff, but still, anything that is set as "private" by the profile owner is off limits. You should be able to feel pretty safe if you've configured your privacy options correctly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Danakiller.
I wasn't really sure, but I don't want to take chances. All my settings are set to friends only. My work also said (now we have two sites) that a girl from the other site got fired for send 120 texts in a 12 hour shift. If you want my opinion, thats not really a lot. 12 texts per hour. I call BS on that because how the heck could they know this? Unless they pulled phone records right?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Yeah not sure how they would know that without checking up on that...
Is that even legal at your work? isn't there some sort of law against privacy or something? I understand maybe not if you're using the companie's computer to chat with your friends or something, but on your CELL PHONE? that's something that they can't just easily check...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree! I actually think they are lying. I think it's trying to scare us...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts