Authentic Jeans Forums banner

any way to get another cat to get along with my cat?

3K views 113 replies 24 participants last post by  zephyr7 
#1 ·
I have a 6 month old kitty who I purchased at 1 month. She gets along great with my dogs and everything.

So I found another cat on the street the other day who looked to be about the same age and was really beautiful and friendly. I took her home thinking they would get along great and have fun together because my dogs don't really respond to her playfulness.

Both cats are female and unspayed. When my current cat smelled her, she flipped out, started hissing violently and tried to kill her. So I had to let her go back outside (with a nice bag of food.)

Is there anyway to get another adult cat or does it have to be a tiny kitten only? Or nothing at all at this point? I don't want them fighting with each other or clawing each others eyes out.

#5 ·
Separate rooms is a good start. Put the new cat in a room and let the two of them smell and paw each other under the door. After a few days, put your other cat in the room and let the new cat out. If they sleep in beds, you can switch them back and forth. The point is for the cats to get used to the scent of one another.

If they seem to be responding well, you can start having supervised visits. It'll take time for them to get used to each other. They may never like each other either - I introduced a 5-month old cat to my 3-year-old cat over a year ago and they're JUST starting to warm up to each other. They've tolerated each other until now. It also depends on the personalities of the cats. If either is dominant/territorial/aggressive, it'll take longer for them to get used to each other.

And I agree with brody - get the cats spayed ASAP.

#6 ·
Give them a few days and they will be fine. We bring home strays every now and then and they get pissy with the old cats, they hiss and growl and slap and are fine the next day.

Oh yeah, GET THEM SPAYED!!!!!

#7 ·
Sounds like I shouldn't have given up so easily, haven't been able to find the kitten again but have seen her running around today but couldn't catch her..

Unspayed cats are really aggressive and territorial. I don't plan to spay/neuter my pets. I lived with both spayed and unspayed dogs/cats all my life and find that you miss out on many great personality traits not found in spayed/neutered animals. The cat lives indoors and I only bring home same sex animals so out of control mating won't be a problem.

#10 ·
when my dogs go in heat, it lasts about a week twice a year. It's hard sometimes but it's a natural part of life.

I don't plan to cut out healthy organs for absolutely no reason. You don't see humans doing it even though they don't plan to have kids and you certainly don't see them doing it to reduce the risk of testicle/prostate cancer or breast cancer in women. Any man would rather have cancer later in life than give up his balls even if it means he'll live 3x. I would imagine my dogs would agree.

The whole 'cancer' thing is blown out of proportion anyway by the institution to get more people to spend money on spaying/neutering to give vets/'non profit' shelters more business. While it reduces the risk, it doesn't eliminate it nor is there a 100% chance my dogs/cats will develop cancer from not reproducing and not being spayed/neutered.

I have 8, 7 and 5 year old Jack Russels and Dachshund none of which are spayed/neutered and all healthy and cancer free.

I may even have my cat have 1 litter later on. I wouldn't mind having another cat or two and my family members want a couple of kittens as well :). I bred dogs before but never cats so it would be a great experience.

#11 ·
There are plenty of extra cats in the world that need homes...no need to produce more when some shelters are overflowing with them. :shake and unless you keep them on chains, it's pretty likely some enterprising boy cats are going to come and find them while they're in heat, and you'll end up contributing to the overpopulation of cats :twitch

#12 ·
I find it hard to understand that when living in a country where hundreds of thousands of pets, healthy kittens and pups included, are killed daily in shelters, you would really think about breeding. :shake You find a kitty on the street, and instead of helping others in need, you seriously think of adding more to the population? That is seriously sick. In my book only of course.
Yep, it would be a great experience to breed cats. End up with say six to ten kittens, never know how many of them end up dead. Wonderful experience. :madbeating

Not spaying/ neutering makes no sense whatsoever if you don't give the animal the opportunity to fulfill her needs. A dog or a cat in heat doesn't have a good time. On the contrary, especially dogs can really suffer when in heat.
Humans, on the other hand, have two healthy hands to use.

#14 ·
:bowndown

It didn't take but one or two heat cycles for my INSIDE cat and those ovaries and that uterus HAD TO GO. She was miserable. We had an amazing "cats only" vet back then and she had the same views as Jenn. Perhaps you need to do a little more research and then do the right thing--spay.

What happens if your cats accidentally get out of your house? I can guarantee you, the one time they do get out they will get knocked up. And why, for the love of God, would you breed a mutt cat anyway? No offense to the mutt cats of the world, I have 3, but I am damn sure not going to "breed" them and make more mutt cats.:shake

#13 ·
^Agreed 100%, as usual.

Sehnsucht, before you think about letting your pets breed, go and check out some animal shelters. Take a look at all the animals in there. Then come back and let us know if you still think that adding to the domestic animal population is a good idea.

#15 ·
sehnsucht has learned a cardinal AF forum rule: don't discuss animals because the animal rights brigade will come call you sick and nail you to the fucking wall.

remember, sehnsucht, people like you were not the reason Pam almost had to ban threads about animals.

#19 ·
srsly. at least stick to something nonconfrontational if you must do this. Espousing not spaying and neutering is probably not a good idea anywhere.

PS: I have 2 great kittens and their mom, all taken from a shelter, and previous pals from there too. This is where pets should come from. The end. I wished I could take them all home.

#21 ·
srsly. at least stick to something nonconfrontational if you must do it. Espousing not spaying and neutering is probably not a good idea anywhere.

PS: I have 2 great kittens and their mom, all taken from a shelter, and previous pals from there too. This is where pets should come from. The end. I wished I could take them all home.
ILU. :love

#20 · (Edited)
here comes the illiterate queen of strawmen that thinks
a) i think the first amendment applies on a forum
b) i ever talk about 'free speech' as it applies to af
c) i was saying the animal rights brigade should be silenced, rather than just implying they're all jackasses for their perpetual conduct

#24 ·
just stay out of gd for a while and you'll probably feel better. There is obviously a distinct different 'culture' if you will, with those who come here for jeans, and those who tend to come here just for non-jeans threads

#29 ·
are you saying that isn't true?

you're the one trolling here.

additionally, i find it hilarious that the people complaining that my rudeness is making AF less fun are the same people that follow a different poster around and throw out a personal attack every time he posts, for the sole reason they disagree with him. :shake

#30 ·
OP.

Humans have bred cats for centuries for their own needs. Unfortunately, the needs of some is rather fleeting. To a certain extent, I do agree with you on the natural order of things and that giving a hysterectomy to a healthy animal can be interpreted as cruel on our part. The health reasons behind having this done are numerous and have already been argued, so I will not repeat them.

The fact is, first and foremost, we need to control the mess we have created out of respect for all felines. The only way we can do this is to ensure that the adoptable cats have homes before we can consider adding to the problem.

I can understand how much you love your cat and how you might think about welcoming another cat into the world with similar traits. The thing is, with cats, just like humans, there are plenty more already in the world with amazing personalities that I am sure you will will love.

Also, even inside cats end up outside accidentally.

I really hope you will reconsider.

#32 ·
I can understand how much you love your cat and how you might think about welcoming another cat into the world with similar traits. The thing is, with cats, just like humans, there are plenty more already in the world with amazing personalities that I am sure you will will love.
Not to mention that when you get a cat (from a shelter) you already know what you're getting in terms of personality. There is absolutely no guarantee kittens will be anything like their mom

#40 ·
i'm sorry that i have to spell everything out. i don't think people follow me around because i post in most of the controversial topics of GD - i'm already there. i think people follow buddha around because many posters seem to have nothing to add to the comparatively few topics he posts in other than "buddha is such a fucking idiot! what a moron! i'm glad i defeated his argument this way! tee hee."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.