Authentic Jeans Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of our dogs (who lives with my parents) gets really anxious when my mom cooks.. I thought it was only when she barbeques right outside the kitchen on the patio because of the smoke that gets into the house.. But tonight she was cooking spegetti which, granted, was riddled with all kinds of spices/flavours and was rather potent.. He freaked out and jumped up against the back door like 'let me out!' so i did and it has been over an hour and he is fustrated because he wants to come in but is too afraid.. Nothing will get him in, treats, ME (My dogs are obsessed with me!) his brother is absolutely fine.. Both have never been seperated and have experianced all the same things. Both have never been abused etc. My dog is hyper vigilant though..he is definitely the one on guard and intuitive but i just cannot understand what is freaking him out. When he is in and starts to freak out he is just really spooked.. (He is a Belgian Shepherd who is 3 yrs old.) We have to just leave the doors open so that he knows he is not being forced to come inside and yet, not trapped outside.. It is really troubling.. Before we contact for more help i thought i'd ask the forum as i know there are a lot of doggy people on here! Any help/ideas would be great... Thankyou!! :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I know that they prescribe meds like Buspar and Prozac for cats and dogs. It may be that he needs a chemical intervention!! I know that there are days that I could use a "happy pill". My cat has behavioral issues and our vet suggested Prozac....I have waited b/c I hate to commit to a daily pill (fight) for a cat!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^Wow,the idea terrifies me! I'll just pop a xanax in his food.. haha, jk ;)

·
Premium Member
32,335 Posts
Wait for advice from Kari or Jenn.

Jenn will be up in a few hours...
Kari might be here any moment.

:)

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Well, I'll run it by DH and get some suggestions....in the meantime, I definitely wouldn't try to force anything with him and I know Jenn will have some fabulous advice as soon as she reads this! :love

And.....I LOVE Belgians!! :love
We just got a Malinois puppy yesterday! :devil

·
Banned
21,191 Posts
hmmmm...I wonder if he might be allergic/overly sensitive to one of the spices used to make the spaghetti? Were there any ingredients in common between that and the BBQs that would set him off? Most dogs would be sitting right near the pot hoping for a spill/handout, so something must be in there that he's really sensitive to or can't tolerate.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Ok....first, I re-read your post (sorry, I was kinda reading it at stop lights the first time) :twitch but anyway.....I wanted to commend you for being a good doggie mommy! :love Leaving the door open so he didn't feel as if he was purposely shut out but not forcing him in were very smart things to do! A lot of times people try to "force" things and it can make the problem worse so kudos for that! :)

Next....couple questions. Are you certain that it is the cooking/food that is causing the anxiety? Could it possibly be something else?

Also, just out of curiosity, what do you feed your dogs? :)

Hopefully, you'll read this and get back to me!

Oh.....and where do you live? We just happen to know quite a few professional trainers and if, by chance, you're near one of them, we could have them come out. (Much easier to assess a dog when actually seeing it in person)! :magwink

·
Premium Member
32,335 Posts
Ok....first, I re-read your post (sorry, I was kinda reading it at stop lights the first time) :twitch but anyway.....I wanted to commend you for being a good doggie mommy! :love Leaving the door open so he didn't feel as if he was purposely shut out but not forcing him in were very smart things to do! A lot of times people try to "force" things and it can make the problem worse so kudos for that! :)

Next....couple questions. Are you certain that it is the cooking/food that is causing the anxiety? Could it possibly be something else?

Also, just out of curiosity, what do you feed your dogs? :)

Hopefully, you'll read this and get back to me!

Oh.....and where do you live? We just happen to know quite a few professional trainers and if, by chance, you're near one of them, we could have them come out. (Much easier to assess a dog when actually seeing it in person)! :magwink
I am fairly certain she is in SoCal:magwink
I could be wrong but I think thats where she is.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^you are such a sweetheart! I really appreciate you!

My mom feeds him iams.. I cannot convince her to try some other, healthier food as she has coupons and is adament that it is perfectly fine.. she feeds him the occasional steak bone from the barbeque which they absolutely LOVE! And some chicken from dinner left overs etc.. Charlie (the dog with the problem) is really agile and seems really healthy/fit and assertive so im not too worried about his diet really (Jack, is brother, the chubster/dork is another story!)
Charlie seems absolutely fine all day long but the last few times he has acted like this has been when my mom is cooking, so it is odd because shes always cooking at night and he does not always react like this.. Im going to have a think about any common spices/flavors etc that may give me a hint.. I was thinking it could be the fan in the kitchen? As i said though, this is a recent problem..very recent.. Charlie has always been really spooked by things.. If you put something on your head like a metal bowl etc he barks and runs off! (I told my dad not to do this as i dont like to see my dog wound up!) Charlie is a really happy dog in general..super super super smiley! Craves to be tickled non stop (which i do, and he knows i will never say no..he is a king manipulator-i blame the brown eyes!) I think he smells something that he may associate with something bad, you know? Its just tricky to pin point it! I have convinced/forced my parents to let him roam out of the kitchen/family room (where the dogs are mostly confined) and now he is perfectly happy chillin' with my dad in his office! It is very bizarre!

Ok, so i wanted to mention we recently took away their crates slowly by leaving their pads for them to lay on. This was a success and they did not seem to worry one bit..no signs of distress etc so i do not think this is correlated. Also, as i mentioned this is not ony a recent issues but also seems to happen towards nighttime and when my mom cooks (but that might not be related, just cooincidental)

I live in San diego! Vista, near Carlsbad/San Marcos! I have found a trainer recently (whom i need to set up a conseltation with) but if you know of one id love to hear who etc! I agree it would be good to have him checked out! Unfortunately he is not stranger-accepting! (Hence the process of getting a trainer!)

..So, you got a mallinois?! So cute! GREAT dogs!! Arent Belgians incredible?! So smart and loyal!! Would love to see a photo!!

Thankyou so much for your advice! xoxox

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Could not resist showing you guys Charlie and Jack as puppies! (Brothers!) (Charlie is the lighter dog with the 'peedick' in the photo of my sister holding him! hehe!)

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Hips, they're both so adorable:love

·
Registered
10,768 Posts
Absolutely adorable. They look very sweet :love

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou! They are my sunshine. I am so in love with them! Nothing can make me smile like they do.. Honestly, the best therapy! They bring me out of any fog..Even when i lost my best friend (My last dog) they have so many similar traits that make me all warm and comforted! :)

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
omg they are so cute!! Sometimes certain dogs do have high anxiety just like people, although I know it would be horrible to have to give tranquilizers constantly. I may get some prescribed from the vet in case and then try training (there are very good training techniques for dogs with anxiety.) I'm really sorry, I have no idea what could be causing it though. :(

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^Thankyou.. I hope i figure it out! I know Charlie is ultra sensitive so i am hoping it is something that i can remove/change and he will be ok.. His brother is so dopey and just does not have any idea whats going on! He gets pissy though because he is obsessed with his brother! (Like the photo, it has only gotten cuter! he hangs on his every move!) and does not like it when charlie gets scared because he wants him to come inside at night so he can follow him about! :)

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Hmmmm.....I was hoping you were closer to L.A. DH is going to be down that way in a couple weeks and he would be happy to meet with you. But, he'll be in the L.A. area. (And dogs love :love him)!!

Let me see who we know in your area and I'll let you know. :)

The reason I asked on the food is because I know some people whose dogs have had a gluten intolerance and after being switched to a raw diet......it was almost like a brand new dog! :) Oh, definitely don't let them have cooked bones!! Raw bones are okay but cooked bones can splinter and they can choke! So, tell Mom....no cooked bones! :magwink

I'll get back to you and maybe we can work something out and DH can come meet your dogs!

Oh, puppy Malinois makes 5 dogs for us! 4 Malinois' and my one awesome GSD!! :love
I will definitely post some pics, in fact, I was going to post pics and ask for name suggestions! :D So far, she is "puppy" with no name! She is so cute!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aww, that would be awesome! I wish you guys lived near us.. I'd love to meet your babies! I youtube 'Belgian Shepherd' on a daily basis! I am so in love with this breed!

I love the name, 'Sooty' for a black dog.. I wanted to name my dog that but everyone agreed on Jack! I love 'Sooty' though..hehehe! So cute!!

yay, pics!! :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kodi..Kai (My first choice name for my son, if i ever have one!) Cay (If i have a daughter)
ummm...dog names.. I love 'Kodi' for sure.. I will see the pic first then have a think of a good name for him!
you must be sooo smiley having a new lil one running around! :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts