Authentic Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of Paiges, retail because I wanted to get an idea of the brand before venturing into Ebay buys. I loved them - soft as soft denim, flattering, soooo comfy - and wore them a lot; probably 5 or 6 times in a 16 day period. Noticed they quickly showed thinning and pilling above the knees and thought, hmmm, and then a rip suddenly appeared. Thankfully I bought them from Selfridges, which is like our Nordstrom, and they instantly refunded me and said that they'd do so up to 6 months in that situation, because PD should stand up to a lot of wear. But I was really shocked. Also shocked because they bagged out a LOT. I bought them fitting comfortably, but not tight, because I thought they didn't give that much. But they bagged out to the point I didn't need to undo them to get them off!

Is this unusual? I'm a bit freaked out - I have a lot of 7FAM/COH and it wears and wears and wears. Does most Paige survive better than that?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
McKinley. They were from a smaller Selfridges (we only have a few, this is a small country - it wasn't the London store) so there wasn't a huge range there.

They said it was really unusual and seemed quite shocked, but then they wanted me to exchange rather than refund, so, you know, I wasn't sure to trust that reaction. It really is as surprising as they said, then?

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
It is odd. My McKinley have held up fine. Although, I've not worn them that often. Perhaps it's the type of 60/40 blend but I still think it's unusual.

None of my Paige have bagged out, thinned, or ripped. Perhaps you just got an unusual pair.

Don't let it dissuade you from buying more Paige!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See, that's what I was hoping to hear. I really loved them, just planned to buy smaller next time, until they tore! They were soooo comfy as well as cute, and I value that a lot. But I needed reassurance from people who weren't on commission that this level of quality really isn't normal. :D

I am now duly comforted. Though won't buy anything full-price retail again, at least in this country. That could have been an expensive mistake if I'd mislaid the receipt. :eyebug

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Strange, all my Paige have held up well. Some washes stretch out more than others but not to the point where they're all baggy.

The only wash I have heard of that was prone to ripping was midnight rocker and that was with the first batch released.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
It is odd. My McKinley have held up fine. Although, I've not worn them that often. Perhaps it's the type of 60/40 blend but I still think it's unusual.

None of my Paige have bagged out, thinned, or ripped. Perhaps you just got an unusual pair.

From a fabric point of view the 60/40 blend should be more sturdy than just cotton alone (I used to work at a fabric store). The pair of Paige I have in that blend seem quite sturdy to me and don't really stretch much at all. I'm wondering if you just got a pair that was made with slightly faulty fabric. If the denim wasn't woven correctly (like if the weave was too loose) it would be less sturdy and more prone to stretching and wear problems like fuzzing and tears.
It sounds like you must have gotten an freak pair (or at least I hope that's the case as I have a pair of HH in McKinley coming for me in the mail :) )

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
^ I agree. My 60/40 blends all feel more "rigid" in a sense with little give. It's the only thing I could envision being a possibility except for being a freak pair.

I'm glad she could take it back though!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm sorry your jeans ripped. I've had my McKinley's for about a year now and although there's some normal wear at the hems, there's no thinning anywhere at this point, and I wear them a couple of times a week. They are my most comfy pair. So hopefully it was a fluke and you can get another pair to love!

·
Registered
944 Posts
You definitely got an anomalous pair. I have over 30 pairs of Paiges in various styles and washes, and none of them have done anything like what you describe. Sounds like the fabric was defective.

I hope you won't give up on Paiges. They are my personal favorite brand, are so comfy and luxurious (for denim!).

You might try writing to Paige too (the company); see if you can get some denim-based compensation for your stress, inconvenience, trauma and disappointment over the ripped pair.:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"You might try writing to Paige too (the company); see if you can get some denim-based compensation for your stress, inconvenience, trauma and disappointment over the ripped pair."

LMAO! That's really tempting, especially given the store will have sent them back, and if it's so rare they'll know about it.

The fabric being defective would explain the reaction of the sales staff, actually. They didnn't pay much attention to the rip, which was what really annoyed me, they were far too busy exclaiming over the fabric - it was doing this weird thing where threads were slightly raising up, it wasn't normal pilling with the rubbed fabric clumping, as much as disintegration in the weave, if that makes any sense. And it had thinned so much, too.

I'm relieved it was that much of an aberration, because I really loved them before that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I bought a pair of Paiges, retail because I wanted to get an idea of the brand before venturing into Ebay buys. I loved them - soft as soft denim, flattering, soooo comfy - and wore them a lot; probably 5 or 6 times in a 16 day period. Noticed they quickly showed thinning and pilling above the knees and thought, hmmm, and then a rip suddenly appeared.
Your description makes me think that the wash may not have actually been McKinley. McKinley is not all that soft ... smooth maybe, but not super "soft." And McKinley wash doesn't seem like it would show any thinning or pilling without a ton of rubbing, scraping, etc. I have a few pairs of the 60/40 blend and none of them show any form of pilling or thinning. Rather, at the hems, where there's a little distressing, they have more of a slight loose-thread look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts