Newborn Help Please!!!!!! NEW PROBLEM - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 236
Feedback: (20)
Newborn Help Please!!!!!! NEW PROBLEM

Hi everyone! I've been a fairly silent member here for quite some time but I always read the pregnancy threads as I just had a baby two weeks ago. I know everyone here is so helpful and full of great suggestions...I've learned a lot here. Anyways, my two week old likes to be in the arms all the time...I've read that this is pretty normal for a newborn, and that as they get older they will be able to have more independent time. Don't get me wrong, I love cuddling with him, but I also have things to do around the house, especially with a four year old daughter to look after. He'll fall asleep in my arms and then most times when I transfer him to his bassinet (or swing, bouncy chair, etc.) he'll wake up and start crying withing 5-10 minutes. I feel like I'm always racing against time, even to just brush my teeth and comb my hair!!!! I guess I just need reassurance that this is normal and that things will get easier. I do have a sling, the couple of times I tried it he didn't really like it, but maybe I just need to find the right sling for him. Any words of wisdom or suggestions you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much!!!
Kim

Last edited by twoangels; 11-29-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM
OMG SUPERSTAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,235
Feedback: (55)
Maybe you should try slowing down a bit since you just had a baby two weeks ago. I know how you feel though, it's really tough. If you let the baby cry for a few minutes he/she will be OK and maybe get used to being put down in the crib after a while. I wouldn't let him/her cry for too long though. But little by little he/she should get the hang of it. It will take time. Both my kids were the same way. Crying a little will not hurt the baby, as long as he/she is fed, changed, swaddled and is safe. Also, make sure he/she is lotioned if they have eczema. My son would get really fussy because he was uncomfortable when his skin was dry.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
Congratulations on the birth of your son!

Everything you described is completely normal for a two-week-old baby.

It will get easier, believe me. I wore my babies a lot; it really helps. Keep trying the sling; hopefully he'll get used to it so you can get work done while carrying him too. Newborns love the feeling of being warm next to you, and they still get soothed by the sound of your heartbeat. As hard as it sounds, enjoy this time; it goes by so very fast. You'll be a pro at this in no time at all.

One trick to try is to put something that smells like you in his bassinet with him. Your scent is also soothing to him, so that may help.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 PM
OMG SUPERSTAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,235
Feedback: (55)
^ Oh yes, i forgot about the scent thing!
It's funny because my son is 4 already and still needs me to rock him to sleep.
He won't let daddy rock him to sleep. I guess he doesn't smell as good.

I wasn't able to use the sling for too long because of my back. But, if you can, try that.
I think it would be much better then what i suggested.
__________________

Last edited by LiLi0623; 12-12-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:10 PM
gsmbaby19's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere South of Something
Posts: 5,222
Feedback: (30)
I always swaddled my son when I needed to put him down. I also tried to plan so that my busy time was right after a feeding/changing as he was more willing to be put down when he was dry and his belly was full. I had a 9lb'er and we had trouble finding a sling that worked for both of us comfortably.

My son was like a clock, he stirred every 2:55 hours and he wouldn't cry if the food was coming in before 3:00 hours hit. Seriously, you could set a clock to him. I think it was because he was jaundice and had to be woken to eat every 3 hours his first 10 days of life. To this day he *loves* a schedule.
__________________
~Dawn~
EXCEPT:
Paige: Tristan in Lorna 30 TR:Sydney in Duke 30
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 PM
redtxstar's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 5,383
Feedback: (86)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojoqueen View Post
Congratulations on the birth of your son!

Everything you described is completely normal for a two-week-old baby.

It will get easier, believe me. I wore my babies a lot; it really helps. Keep trying the sling; hopefully he'll get used to it so you can get work done while carrying him too. Newborns love the feeling of being warm next to you, and they still get soothed by the sound of your heartbeat. As hard as it sounds, enjoy this time; it goes by so very fast. You'll be a pro at this in no time at all.

One trick to try is to put something that smells like you in his bassinet with him. Your scent is also soothing to him, so that may help.
I agree! I loved our mei tai when my son was small, allowed me to get a lot done and him to sleep! I also slept with him a lot

I MISS those days now that kiddo is 3..
__________________
I AF
Click here to see my items listed by **fancy**pants**. She can offer a discounted price if sold through AF. Just send her a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 236
Feedback: (20)
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and words of encouragement! I know he'll sometimes have to cry, mostly when I'm helping my 4 year old daughter. She has a very rare syndrome and was a very difficult baby, cried all the time, but it was a little easier then because she was my only child. I just feel bad because my hands aren't free to play with her right now...I think I really need to keep trying the sling and hope that he'll get used to it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,465
Feedback: (19)
Try a few different slings. Also, what helped Mia was to put her down in her swing, with white noise, the motion helped her sleep. It gets better!

ETA: We swaddled Mia until about 6 months of age. This combo helped Mia a bunch; swaddling, swing, and white noise.

Last edited by lizm75; 11-30-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM
GoldenSurf's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 553
Feedback: (18)
This sounds exactly like my daughter as a newborn. I tried many different carriers and ended up wearing her all the time at that age. We went on lots of walks because the motion put her to sleep. Some of the things I have hears are to put a used nursing pad or bra next to him or warming up a bean bag to put over his belly and of course swaddling. I tried them all and none of them worked for longer than 15-20 minutes. It does get better though and before you know it you will hardly remember these days.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 AM
katren's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 175
Feedback: (5)
I agree with Shi and the "scent" of you, sometimes, that is all they need! I used to do that in the swing too.

Gosh it has only been two weeks, it will for sure get better! After having a baby in addition to a 4 year old, it sounds like you are doing the best you can and that is AWESOME. Don't stress yourself about it, things will get better after you get through this adjustment period.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
how quickly i forget!! swings and swaddling are great tips to try as well.

also, i agree with lisa too; baby crying for a few minutes is not a horrible thing. i personally felt like i would get anxious at the sound of crying, but i have issues with that (meaning sound).
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Luca's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,060
Feedback: (12)
Congratulations for the birth of your baby!

I know exactly how you feel, I had post partum depression, and felt that my brain was going to explode if the baby cried for 20 seconds. Letting him cry was not acceptable to me.

I know it's not what most moms will do, but I did what I had to do to survive those few months - I breast fed to sleep, and he would fall asleep eating, and with a full stomach he was more likely to sleep a longer period of time. I had him sleep at a 45 degree angle (propped by pillows) to alleviate reflux.

BTW, my child did not like swings either, and we tried several different models.
__________________
~Roxana~

Last edited by Luca; 12-06-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 623
Feedback: (8)
I found woven wraps - Wrapababy.com - Baby Wrap Instructions | Baby Wearing and Wrapping Videos, lots of suggestions on slingsilove.com and other types of sites - and put my baby in the wrap from morning until night. I honestly wore my baby about 8 hours a day and he slept with me at night. I did whatever was necessary to survive until he reached about 2.5 months old. I nursed to sleep or nursed in the sling all the time.

It really will get easier. I remember PMing Shi about how stressful it was in the beginning! The transistion from 1 to 2 is intense! Good luck - you can do it!
__________________
~Kat~
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
oh yes, i was a human pacifier at times too. you gotta do what you gotta do.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM
ilovecaseyandcoach's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eureka, CA (6 hours north of san fran...where we have no stores)
Posts: 3,518
Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Congratulations for the birth of your baby!

I know exactly how you feel, I had post partum depression, and felt that my brain was going to explode if the baby cried for 20 seconds. Letting him cry was not acceptable to me.

I know it's not what most moms will do, but I did what I had to do to survive those few months - I breast fed to sleep, and he would fall asleep eating, and with a full stomach he was more likely to sleep a longer period of time. I had him sleep at a 45 degree angle (propped by pillows) to alleviate reflux.

BTW, my child did not like swings either, and we tried several different models.
I know I have mentioned this before but this thing:
Amby Baby Hammock Motion Bed Infant Sleep Aid

I know mothers who swear by it for acid reflex.
__________________
facebook
blog I need maternity jeans. Size 29 and 30 please.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 236
Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojoqueen View Post
how quickly i forget!! swings and swaddling are great tips to try as well.

also, i agree with lisa too; baby crying for a few minutes is not a horrible thing. i personally felt like i would get anxious at the sound of crying, but i have issues with that (meaning sound).
Sometimes the swaddling works, he almost gets mad at first but then will calm down. He liked his swing at the beginning but not so much now. And after he feeds he will have some happy awake time in his bouncy chair but it doesn't last long. What I'm finding is that about 20-30 minutes after feeding, he gets really upset, like he has gas. He'll be calm, almost asleep, and then wakes up crying like he's in pain. I don't know if he's just a gassy baby or if it could be reflux or something else...he doesn't spit up though and eats well. I try to burp him a lot...I feel like I'm creating a bad habit because he always has to be rocked to sleep. But I know many say you can't spoil them at this age and that they're too young to expect them to fall asleep on their own. Obviously every child is different. But I definitely have anxiety when I hear him cry, even though I know it's not going to hurt him.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
ilovecaseyandcoach's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eureka, CA (6 hours north of san fran...where we have no stores)
Posts: 3,518
Feedback: (8)
I just finished reading The Happiest Baby on the Block and it might be helpful for you.
__________________
facebook
blog I need maternity jeans. Size 29 and 30 please.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
aswin's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,281
Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoangels View Post
Sometimes the swaddling works, he almost gets mad at first but then will calm down. He liked his swing at the beginning but not so much now. And after he feeds he will have some happy awake time in his bouncy chair but it doesn't last long. What I'm finding is that about 20-30 minutes after feeding, he gets really upset, like he has gas. He'll be calm, almost asleep, and then wakes up crying like he's in pain. I don't know if he's just a gassy baby or if it could be reflux or something else...he doesn't spit up though and eats well. I try to burp him a lot...I feel like I'm creating a bad habit because he always has to be rocked to sleep. But I know many say you can't spoil them at this age and that they're too young to expect them to fall asleep on their own. Obviously every child is different. But I definitely have anxiety when I hear him cry, even though I know it's not going to hurt him.
I don't have any advice to offer, but I do agree that you can't spoil them at this age. I held both of my kids while they slept, breastfed both of them to sleep, and slept with both of them for a few months (it was really the only was *I* could get some sleep!). My 4-yr old is an EXCELLENT sleeper, sleeps in his own bed. I think the key for us was not doing any of that stuff for too long. Just do what you have to do to get through the day right now
__________________
April
Please check out my stuff in the mall, all jeans $50 or under, some NWT! Also, lower price on RM MAB!
http://calliescause.yolasite.com/
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009, 07:05 PM
GoldenSurf's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 553
Feedback: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecaseyandcoach View Post
I know I have mentioned this before but this thing:
Amby Baby Hammock Motion Bed Infant Sleep Aid

I know mothers who swear by it for acid reflex.
It looks like the Amby Hammock has been recalled.
Infant Suffocation Deaths Prompt Recall of Amby Baby Motion Beds/Hammocks
Bummer cause I know some Moms loved these.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 AM
aswin's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,281
Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSurf View Post
It looks like the Amby Hammock has been recalled.
Infant Suffocation Deaths Prompt Recall of Amby Baby Motion Beds/Hammocks
Bummer cause I know some Moms loved these.
I saw that on the news last night and thought of Jasmin! When my daughter wanted nothing to do with the co-sleeper, I had wished that I'd bought the Amby instead...now I'm glad I didn't!
__________________
April
Please check out my stuff in the mall, all jeans $50 or under, some NWT! Also, lower price on RM MAB!
http://calliescause.yolasite.com/
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecaseyandcoach View Post
I just finished reading The Happiest Baby on the Block and it might be helpful for you.
i can't do that method; it uses the cry-it-out method.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 AM
hammerwoman's Avatar
Denim Goddess
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a VAN down by the river.
Posts: 7,218
Feedback: (97)
The cry-it-out method did not work for Abram....no wait it didn't work for me. Because I would be stationed outside his bedroom door crying. I cried it out and felt like shit afterwards so it didn't work for me. Also making them upset enough that they barf all over the place is def not worth it. Maybe I did it wrong?
__________________
I am
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerwoman View Post
The cry-it-out method did not work for Abram....no wait it didn't work for me. Because I would be stationed outside his bedroom door crying. I cried it out and felt like shit afterwards so it didn't work for me. Also making them upset enough that they barf all over the place is def not worth it. Maybe I did it wrong?
crying it out does NOT work for all babies. each baby, like adults, is an individual; we have to remember that and treat them as such.

you did nothing wrong; it just wasn't the right method for your family (mine either).
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 AM
GoldenSurf's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 553
Feedback: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojoqueen View Post
i can't do that method; it uses the cry-it-out method.
The Happiest Baby on the Block doesn't use cry it out. It's based on the 5 S's. I think it's swaddling, sucking, swinging, shushing, side to soothe a baby. It's meant to help babies with colic and great for the first 3 months and maybe up to 6. I would recommend the DVD which is pretty short (30 minutes) and pretty helpful. It basically involves swaddling, holding the baby on her side and shushing/white noise. You also incorporate the swing or paci/nursing.

You may be thinking of Marc Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child book which does involve lots of crying. Can you tell that DD is allergic to sleep?
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSurf View Post
The Happiest Baby on the Block doesn't use cry it out. It's based on the 5 S's. I think it's swaddling, sucking, swinging, shushing, side to soothe a baby. It's meant to help babies with colic and great for the first 3 months and maybe up to 6. I would recommend the DVD which is pretty short (30 minutes) and pretty helpful. It basically involves swaddling, holding the baby on her side and shushing/white noise. You also incorporate the swing or paci/nursing.

You may be thinking of Marc Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child book which does involve lots of crying. Can you tell that DD is allergic to sleep?
oh shit...sorry ...a friend told me that Happiest Baby on the Block used cry-out methods too.

i wonder what book she was talking about, because it wasn't the Marc Weissbluth book either; my sister gave me that book (he was her pediatrician)...and i read it quickly and put it on the shelf.

i've been lucky with my kids; they're good sleepers.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72