Disney Offers Refunds For Baby Einstein Product Over Concerns Of Efficacy - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Megsr729's Avatar
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,010
Feedback: (17)
Disney Offers Refunds For Baby Einstein Product Over Concerns Of Efficacy

The great Baby Einstein scam - Parenting on Shine

I thought this would be a good place to put this...My kids both watched SOME Baby Einstein when they were babies not too much. I guess the main point of the article is that t.v. in general is detrimental to children under two years of age.
__________________
Hi I'm Meg

Looking for...WR Belle in Rifle sz 26
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM
ilovecaseyandcoach's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eureka, CA (6 hours north of san fran...where we have no stores)
Posts: 3,518
Feedback: (8)
This is such good timing because my aunt just PUSHED a whole pack of the dvds on me. They were hand me downs and I told her that I didn't really like them. She was super offended and remained convinced that it makes kids smarter. Some other articles anout tv I just emailed to her were these:
Most babies watch TV, despite warnings | COSMOS magazine

This one was really good as well:

The Effects of TV on Baby
__________________
facebook
blog I need maternity jeans. Size 29 and 30 please.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Loving life!-outside of the city, Washington
Posts: 14,498
Feedback: (37)
I got some of these from a friend, but never really used them. Munchkin #2 hated the caterpiller at the beginning and freaked the hell out when it came on screen.

I know they aren't supposed to watch tv yet, but w/o letting them watch a show here and there, I wouldn't get my housework done. They both love veggie tales (so do I )
__________________
Hi baby!!!!!
TR gunmetal & desperado & road dog joeys 24 sz 23 aquarius/barcelona/rifle/duke/moss savoys
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
ilovecaseyandcoach's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eureka, CA (6 hours north of san fran...where we have no stores)
Posts: 3,518
Feedback: (8)
I think moderation is key. My aunts kid watches 3 hours a day.
__________________
facebook
blog I need maternity jeans. Size 29 and 30 please.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 PM
morejeansplease!'s Avatar
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,226
Feedback: (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbid_gray View Post
I got some of these from a friend, but never really used them. Munchkin #2 hated the caterpiller at the beginning and freaked the hell out when it came on screen.

I know they aren't supposed to watch tv yet, but w/o letting them watch a show here and there, I wouldn't get my housework done. They both love veggie tales (so do I )
<3 Veggie tales
__________________
Bridget
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 AM
bluemay1's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 9,825
Feedback: (90)
My daughter gets 30 minutes a day (one Baby Einstein DVD) -- usually when I try and cram breakfast, getting ready and drinking coffee all into one sitting

My MIL bought a shitload of Baby Einstein DVDs for her though It was sweet but pricey
__________________
MARG wants TR Joey PINK Rainbows DUC or Lonestar 25/26; AG Tights in Rosebud 26/27
Selling: Anthro Stuff and TR Jeans on eBay
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 PM
nnnola's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Posts: 43,462
Feedback: (202)
my kids never watched that stuff.
even at a young age, both were into more violent type t.v. shows.
like Barney the Dinosaur or The Wiggles
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
onelove's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 9,884
Feedback: (176)
We bought those "your baby can read" videos and I swear they work. Its all about memorization and she's doing great! Mine is almost 3 though. We don't have cable and I'm glad.
__________________
Erica's Blog-Simply Onelove

I miss you JJ.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Rudegirl3's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cali
Posts: 2,478
Feedback: (29)
My daughter loves the Baby Einstein DVDs. It's definately better than commercialized tv shows, but moderation is key.
__________________
Stacie
Wishing for...in a 24/25...Beastie Boy Dojo Crops,VHO Josefina, Jonathan Adler Skinnys
My Dodgers Blog
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 AM
SwtHunny's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 296
Feedback: (6)
How do we get the refund? I clicked on the link and there wasnt any other information as to regarding the refund process?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 AM
ilovecaseyandcoach's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eureka, CA (6 hours north of san fran...where we have no stores)
Posts: 3,518
Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
We bought those "your baby can read" videos and I swear they work. Its all about memorization and she's doing great! Mine is almost 3 though. We don't have cable and I'm glad.
Those are a different category. They are not fast paced with lots of action. Aren't they more like flash cards? Like a power point presentation?
__________________
facebook
blog I need maternity jeans. Size 29 and 30 please.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
ilovecaseyandcoach's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eureka, CA (6 hours north of san fran...where we have no stores)
Posts: 3,518
Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudegirl3 View Post
My daughter loves the Baby Einstein DVDs. It's definitely better than commercialized tv shows, but moderation is key.
I don't see a difference. How do you think they are different? I am not trying to attack you in any way I just really have no experience with this sort of thing.

In an article I read it said that France does not allow any type of programing targeted at children under two or three, (I can't remember which.) which really gets me thinking. And sorta freaks me out.
__________________
facebook
blog I need maternity jeans. Size 29 and 30 please.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Rudegirl3's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cali
Posts: 2,478
Feedback: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecaseyandcoach View Post
I don't see a difference. How do you think they are different? I am not trying to attack you in any way I just really have no experience with this sort of thing.

In an article I read it said that France does not allow any type of programing targeted at children under two or three, (I can't remember which.) which really gets me thinking. And sorta freaks me out.
What I meant is that most kid's shows on tv are sandwiched between many commercials (sugary cereal, toys they don't need, etc) There are toys featured in the Baby Einstein videos, but these are usually non-corporate or character ones. At least by using a DVD or video, you can control what commercials are presented to your child.

There are some tv channels (Nick Jr) now that do not run any commercials which is great.
__________________
Stacie
Wishing for...in a 24/25...Beastie Boy Dojo Crops,VHO Josefina, Jonathan Adler Skinnys
My Dodgers Blog
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
I think it's sad that any parents thought watching DVDs would make their children smarter. Babies need interaction and playtime. I'm not saying no tv, but moderation is key. Nothing beats human interaction.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 PM
ilovecaseyandcoach's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eureka, CA (6 hours north of san fran...where we have no stores)
Posts: 3,518
Feedback: (8)
I am going to try no tv and see how that works out. ha ha!
__________________
facebook
blog I need maternity jeans. Size 29 and 30 please.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
onelove's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 9,884
Feedback: (176)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecaseyandcoach View Post
Those are a different category. They are not fast paced with lots of action. Aren't they more like flash cards? Like a power point presentation?
Not like a presentation lol. It has children saying the words, singing, playing, etc.

I also want to add that we didn't buy this to "make my kid smarter" while we did nothing. I interact with my daughter all day. These videos are meant to be watched together as parent & child.
Some of the songs are terrible but my daughter loves them!
__________________
Erica's Blog-Simply Onelove

I miss you JJ.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
jillybean's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: I.F., Idaho
Posts: 2,041
Feedback: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojoqueen View Post
I think it's sad that any parents thought watching DVDs would make their children smarter. Babies need interaction and playtime. I'm not saying no tv, but moderation is key. Nothing beats human interaction.
This. Also, I can't believe they're being sued over these videos.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2009, 03:50 PM
ilovecaseyandcoach's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eureka, CA (6 hours north of san fran...where we have no stores)
Posts: 3,518
Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Not like a presentation lol. It has children saying the words, singing, playing, etc.

I also want to add that we didn't buy this to "make my kid smarter" while we did nothing. I interact with my daughter all day. These videos are meant to be watched together as parent & child.
Some of the songs are terrible but my daughter loves them!
Man...I must be thinking of something different.
__________________
facebook
blog I need maternity jeans. Size 29 and 30 please.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 PM
alexandra1999's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Land of the Delta Blues
Posts: 6,056
Feedback: (36)
No tv is all fine and dandy but to be honest, I would never have gotten any work done around the house if I couldn't plop in a dvd now and then. Never thought that the Baby Einstein DVD's would teach the girls anything but I liked the classical music they had and the simplicity of just showing kids toys.

I do not, and did not have family nearby to help me out with the girls so being able to turn on a 30 minute DVD for them was a saving grace sometimes. It didn't take away from my time spent with them and they have had no ill effects from it. They are 2 bubbly, smart little girls.
__________________
Come by and check out my FB page, lots of fun stuff and custom orders too https://www.facebook.com/Quatapoch
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra1999 View Post
No tv is all fine and dandy but to be honest, I would never have gotten any work done around the house if I couldn't plop in a dvd now and then. Never thought that the Baby Einstein DVD's would teach the girls anything but I liked the classical music they had and the simplicity of just showing kids toys.

I do not, and did not have family nearby to help me out with the girls so being able to turn on a 30 minute DVD for them was a saving grace sometimes. It didn't take away from my time spent with them and they have had no ill effects from it. They are 2 bubbly, smart little girls.
I agree, Alex. Moderation is key, and we absolutely have to get work done somehow.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 06:03 PM
bluemay1's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 9,825
Feedback: (90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnola View Post
my kids never watched that stuff.
even at a young age, both were into more violent type t.v. shows.
like Barney the Dinosaur or The Wiggles
OMG Nola you are too funny
__________________
MARG wants TR Joey PINK Rainbows DUC or Lonestar 25/26; AG Tights in Rosebud 26/27
Selling: Anthro Stuff and TR Jeans on eBay
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2009, 12:15 PM
shoesandbags's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 446
Feedback: (20)
I believe moderation is key also. My son who is 18 months watches the baby einstein videos but I watch them with him. I will say the words, colors, or animals with him. Now he can say them without any help from me. He will now identify what he has learned from the videos when we are outside of the home too.

But then again, he also loves Dancing with the Stars....................
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70